To those who've lost over 100 pounds in a year, please respo

Options

Replies

• projectreturns
    projectreturns Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I've lost about 100 in a little over a year (70 since February) and I have had a calorie count between 2,000 calories and 1,800 calories on a 2 pound per week designed by mfp. I am 6'2".

I see no reason to ever go down below 1,200 calories. If you are exercising consistently, that is actually dangerous. Even my fiance, who is on a 1,200 calories diet at 5'6 never goes below it really and definitely eats more when she exercises.

If you are exercising like you should, 1,200 calories on a day you exercise can definitely lead to blackouts and other undesirable negative health results. Heck, I ate 2,000 calories yesterday, but because we ran 10 miles, I was having blackouts when I stood up today. I should have eaten more. If you are going to exercise, which you should, to lose weight, don't go below 1,200.
  • shybelle
    shybelle Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    My goal is to lose 100lbs in a year and these stories really motivate me! I am not sure if I WIll make it but i AM going to keep trying!
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    A way a person is going to lose that much weight in that time frame will be with some form of surgery. You're seeking where a person keeps at least 1200 calorie intake and even with exercise you will not meet what you're seeking. good luck with your hunt on a 1200 calorie intake and losing 100 pounds or more in under a year. I've lost that much and that was with 1200 calorie.. exercising 5 days a week at the gym with classes in the evening.. along with stomach surgery!

So not true - I am living proof that it can be done - by changing what / how you eat - and doing moderate amounts of exercise - and eating more than 1200 calories a day!!

Me too. Not on here, but on WW - i lost my first hundred there, in less than a year. You generally lose more than 2lb a month in the first month or two of a weight loss programme. It's perfectly doable within a healthy eating regime. There's no need to deprive yourself ridiculously to achieve it.

And yes, exercise was a key part of this for me. I also eat healthily, consistently (I try to avoid junk 99% of the time - very occasionally will have a little bit of chocolate, a meal out, or a bag of crisps - but generally I cook and enjoy my own food, and it's *good food*).
  • projectreturns
    Options
    A way a person is going to lose that much weight in that time frame will be with some form of surgery. You're seeking where a person keeps at least 1200 calorie intake and even with exercise you will not meet what you're seeking. good luck with your hunt on a 1200 calorie intake and losing 100 pounds or more in under a year. I've lost that much and that was with 1200 calorie.. exercising 5 days a week at the gym with classes in the evening.. along with stomach surgery!

So not true - I am living proof that it can be done - by changing what / how you eat - and doing moderate amounts of exercise - and eating more than 1200 calories a day!!

Agreed. It is obvious the need for surgery to do this for "most" people is total bull. It would be different if you have some type of metabolic disorder, but you see many of us have lost 100 pounds in a year or so. I eat 2,000 calories or more most days!
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    What u need to ask is those people that ate less then 1200 calories a day, is how long they keep the weight off. The issue isn't losing weight as much as keeping it off a year or more later, that is why you want to do it slowly and safely. FYI i have to lose over 100 pounds and I've lost 30lbs since May. I intend to lose 100 but keep it off.
  • projectreturns
    Options
    What u need to ask is those people that ate less then 1200 calories a day, is how long they keep the weight off. The issue isn't losing weight as much as keeping it off a year or more later, that is why you want to do it slowly and safely. FYI i have to lose over 100 pounds and I've lost 30lbs since May. I intend to lose 100 but keep it off.

You said it. Smart way to go. Give your body time to reset periodically. Don't just shock it until you reach 100 and go back to a normal diet suddenly.
  • lloydrt
    lloydrt Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    message me, it was a focused adventure.............no excuses, just stay focused and concentrate on good health........

look for a goal, and remember that in the end, nothing can take the place of good health...........again, Ill help you if I can.........Best wishes ,Lloyd
  • h82bfat
    Options
    I have not yet lost 100 lbs, but that is my goal. When I saw you stay Lahaina, I had to say aloha!

I will mimic what the other posters have said, and that is you have to eat enough calories. If your body is a machine, then food is the fuel. It won't operate well if it is in starvation mode. Also, my ultimate goal is not so much weight loss but improved health. I certainly want to be thin, but also have strong bones, muscles and immune system. That can't happen if my body is struggling due to lack of food.

My diary is open. I am trying to loose 2lb/wk, and eat a net of 250 less than my daily goal of 1560. With 3500 cals/lb, the 250 adds up to an extra lb every two weeks. I'm just starting out and know weight loss will begin to slow at some point. When that happens I'll exercise more and up my calories to -150/day. Also, FWIW, I'm a carb-heavy eater who resets goals after every loss.

It might help you to take measurements and/or photos. Sometimes the scale does not tell the whole story. Keep at it! Healthy eating and moderate exercise will quickly return encouraging results.

Maui 'No Ka Oi'
  • MyGoodLife
    Options
    Thanks again to all who responded. Just to clarify, I never planned to go below 1200 myself; in fact, sticking to 1200 every day would be hard for me. I was mostly just curious about the people who've lost 100 pounds or more in a year, and how they achieved that. It was really gratifying to read that some people have had success eating quite a bit more. Plus, of course, exercise helps, too.
  • Gary1977
    Gary1977 Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    You can lose 100+ pounds in a year in a healthy manner. It somewhat depends on how much you HAVE to lose. I've lost 180lbs in the first 7 months. I eat between 1500-1800 calories a day. I eat back PART of my exercise calories. I'm hoping by the time I've done this for a year, My total # will be between 280-300lbs.:noway:

Good luck on your journey!
  • slay0r
    slay0r Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    I lost 126 pounds in a year. I ate 1200-1600 calories a day depending on how hungry I was. This is NET. It's not possible for me to go below this at all, it has to be net for me or I'm starving, then I know most of the weight I'm losing is muscle as well as fat which is pointless.

I found it quite easy to do, just don't eat rubbish, less processed foods and more natural foods, lots of water and decent sleep its pretty simple.

If I went below the 1200 calorie mark I didn't lose anywhere near as much as I lost when I had more. I know it feels wrong but just try it for 2-3 weeks eating a little more with more exercise, guarenteed you'll feel better and lose more. If you're feeling a bit ill from your diet you're doing it wrong.

Feel free to add me if you need more.
  • Kimmer2011
    Kimmer2011 Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I'm coming up to the hundred pound mark after about seven months. Sometimes I worry that I'm losing too fast. I started on my doctor's recommendation of 1500 calories/day. Now I'm a little lower than that, but I try to make sure I'm up to at least 1200/day. My diary is public, but my eating has not been what I'd like the past few weeks, since I broke my arm & had surgery on it. My activity levels have also plummeted, but I'm hoping to get moving again soon.
  • kimbk1
    kimbk1 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    First of all... What does "bump" mean? If it is supposed to be a rude reply to someone's reaching out, I think that is just flat out crappy!! This person is reaching out for help on a forum that is supposed to be helpful. So, unless you have a nice respectable suggestion, you guys do not need to respond.
  • kimbk1
    kimbk1 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I wish that there was a like button under your status:smile:
  • lornawalker
    Options
    bump
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    I lost 110 lbs. in 1 year. I started at 3000 calories daily then I slowly cut back over months time. I am currently around 2600-2800 calories. 9/10 times I don't eat my excercise calories back. I still have 130 or so I want to lose.

First of all... What does "bump" mean? If it is supposed to be a rude reply to someone's reaching out, I think that is just flat out crappy!! This person is reaching out for help on a forum that is supposed to be helpful. So, unless you have a nice respectable suggestion, you guys do not need to respond.

bump is just internet slang to bring a forum/message board topic to the top of the list.
  • krash999
    krash999 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    i started losing weight middle of january, and didnt do too hot. a friend of mine found a different site and we used it for a few weeks, but it was very slow and wasnt all that great. he looked more and found this site and shared it with me. i set my goal to 2 pounds a week sometimes i only get 1 but sometimes i get 5 or more. i am never consistent about eating back my excersize cals. sometimes i do sometimes i dont. i normally just follow what MFP says i need to eat for my cals. i started out with a little over 3k a day and and going down slowly and am currently at 2800. i have noticed a huge drop in weight over the past 5 months or so that i have been a member here, but that could be also partly because i started doing zumba at about the same time. before that i was just walking on the treadmill and doing strength training 3 times a week. now i am doing so much more.
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options

I agree! I have lost 80 lbs in just under a year eating 1700-1800 calories everyday and working out. To the OP: you can not out exercise a bad diet. Get your diet under control first, avoid as much processed food as possible then start adding in exercise. DO NOT be afraid to get out of your comfort zone...that is where you will get your best results. Lots of luck to you! If I can do it so can you!
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    I shed 100 pounds in about 10 1/2 months. Although my calories varied, they tended to run from around 1350-1650/day, plus some of my exercise calories (I never worried about eating every last one of my exercise calories, but I did try to add some extra "fuel" when I worked out). I'm on maintenance now, have been for about a month and a half, and have lost a couple more pounds but am generally stabilized as far as my weight goes.

I don't like low carb or low fat diets, I like nutritious, well-balanced meals and snacks that provide my body with the nutrients it needs to function well.

I eat a variety of foods - lean protein, healthy fats, fresh fruits and veggies, whole grains, etc. I drink a lot of water. I don't have "off-limits" foods (except that I'm allergic to milk), but I try to choose healthier options for treats or have smaller portions.

I exercise regularly but don't have a strict routine - I walk, do Zumba, jump on the trampoline, do some strength training (even though I don't like it), swim... pretty much whatever I feel like as long as I maintain an active lifestyle.

More important than the 100 pounds, though, I shed well over 80 inches all over my body and cut my body fat from around 55% to around 26%.

I think the most important thing to remember is that we need to be HEALTHY, regardless of our weight or size.
  • slay0r
    slay0r Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    I don't understand why anyone would want anything less than 1200 calories if it's pretty much proven by everyone on my fitness pal that having more works! I don't see how eating less than 1000 and losing less is more pleasing than getting to eat more and losing more weight, makes no sense!

Someone at my work has just started a diet where pasta and rice etc are free and you can eat as much of it as you like..basically a fat controlled diet and she's lost 10 pounds in 2 weeks..
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!