How can this have happened?? Totally gutted!

Options

Replies

• McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,670 Member
    Options
    Firstly she is actually far more knowledgeable than any dietitian I know.

Just how many dietitians do you know? I'm just saying, dietitian is to nutritionist as dentist is to tooth theologist. It's NOT the same and she might SOUND knowledgeable but you're not losing weight and it sounds like she has you under-eating. Not signs of a competent professional, IMHO.
    Secondly nobody has managed to explain how you GAIN in a calorie deficit. Hard to lose I understand. But someone please explain how you gain?

You don't. So, I'm thinking her tools are faulty.

Listen, honey. This thread is FULL of good information but you're rejecting it. You need to reevaluate why you're just tossing aside really sound input from MULTIPLE sources in favor of what your nutritionist is already doing that ISN'T working.

All I can say is, please re-read what everyone has posted, consider implementing some of this advice and maybe not take the nutritionist's words as gospel. Good luck.
  • mericksmom
    mericksmom Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I under ate for years (800 cals daily) and I still got very large (220 Lbs) you may want to add a little bit more a little at a time and see how it helps. Try adding 100 calories CONTINUALLY and see how things go, You are working out and YOU NEED TO FEED YOUR BODY otherwise your bosy will hold on to anything and everything especially if it is used to only netting 600 cals a day (basically what ever your average is every day it will live at and any time you go above that it will store those extra cals in fat....this is what happened to me) I am slowly adding more calories and even with the SLOW weight loss I have LOST MANY INCHES.

I want you to be safe and healthy and dont follow my footsteps. I wish you luck in weight loss and sadly some of us it takes longer, just keep on going on. Watch for excess salt and go see a dr about a hormone panel and talk to them about it also, they may find something else. HUGS
  • Iamfit4life
    Iamfit4life Posts: 3,095 Member
    Options

Just how many dietitians do you know? I'm just saying, dietitian is to nutritionist as dentist is to tooth theologist. It's NOT the same and she might SOUND knowledgeable but you're not losing weight and it sounds like she has you under-eating. Not signs of a competent professional, IMHO.
    Secondly nobody has managed to explain how you GAIN in a calorie deficit. Hard to lose I understand. But someone please explain how you gain?

Listen, honey. This thread is FULL of good information but you're rejecting it. You need to reevaluate why you're just tossing aside really sound input from MULTIPLE sources in favor of what your nutritionist is already doing that ISN'T working.

All I can say is, please re-read what everyone has posted, consider implementing some of this advice and maybe not take the nutritionist's words as gospel. Good luck.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

And it seems like she has issues that might make it hard for her to listen to this but it IS sound advice.

Perhaps you also need to look into a new nutritionalist. One that will tell you to eat.

I hope wish you luck sweetie, I know how confusing and frustrating this can be, but we make it harder than it is.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    Firstly she is actually far more knowledgeable than any dietitian I know. Secondly nobody has managed to explain how you GAIN in a calorie deficit. Hard to lose I understand. But someone please explain how you gain?

Actually someone did. You didn't gain weight. You gained fat and lost muscle and as someone pointed out, it's because you're not eating enough. I'm not sure why you're so set on continuing to eat so little when it's clearly not working for you.
  • LisaKyle11
    LisaKyle11 Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    Went back through your diary for the past week or so. You are under eating. You need 1200cal minimum per day to keep your metabolism moving or your body will store fat and eat muscle. I know it is scary to eat more when you are trying to lose weight, I went through the same struggle, but it does work.

THIS^^... and read SleepyTexan's story. I was in a similar boat. Am slowly losing now that I am eating MORE! :smile:
  • emmab0902
    emmab0902 Posts: 2,337 Member
    Options
    Just to correct a post - I gained fat AND muscle - I havent' lost muscle.
  • megz4987
    megz4987 Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options

Yyeeaa..., unfortunately She's not going to admit she's wrong no matter how many people tell her she is. Her cooky dietician told her she's fine eating less than 1,000 calories so it must be true.

I wish you the best, emmab0902. truely.
  • audram420
    audram420 Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    About to say the same thing, megz...obviously she has the answers in front of her but it's way more fun to ignore them and be dramatic! Lots of people are trying to help....LISTEN!!
  • Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    Emma my advice is go to your doctor. Talk to them. If your nutriosinist is telling you to under eat she's not worth paying.

Try a dietician as others have suggested. Or ask your nutritionist for her qualifications.

What she's telling you is clearly not working. Good luck!
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    Weight loss can be a very difficult task. What many people don't realize is that everyone is different. What may work for you may not work for the OP. There may be some other underlying health issues such as thyroid problems we are unaware of.
  • methetree
    Options
    Either way, you need to go talk to your doctor, eat more, and when you ask a question at least have a little willingness to contemplate the answers you receive.

So many people on here are giving you very insightful advice, people that were in the same place as you are right now and you continue to say your nutritionist knows best, correct people for being wrong and generally throw the answers you asked for back in peoples faces.

I wish you best of luck.

Maybe next time you will be more open minded.
  • pinkita
    pinkita Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    That's only 1.7 lbs.

Are you sure it's fat? Nutritionists don't have to go to school or even be properly educated. I could legally set up shop tomorrow and call myself a nutritionist. DIETITIANS are actual doctors. I, personally, wouldn't trust a nutritionist or his/her tools.

I hate to sidetrack on this thread but where did you get that information/idea? Dietitians are not medical doctors. In the U.S., a dietitian has at least a four-year Bachelor's degree in nutrition/dietetics (or graduate degree), has to have completed an internship, and has to pass a national registration exam from the American Dietetic Association.
  • emmab0902
    Options

Yyeeaa... lost cause, unfortunately. She's not going to admit she's wrong no matter how many people tell her she is. Her cooky dietician told her she's fine eating less than 1,000 calories so it must be true.

That is highly offensive and unhelpful. Of course I am listening and have made changes to my intake. I have not said I am right and others are wrong. And my nutritionist did not say it is ok to go below 1000. Thanks to later posters who have given useful considered advice that I have taken on board.
  • McKayMachina
    Options

Yyeeaa... lost cause, unfortunately. She's not going to admit she's wrong no matter how many people tell her she is. Her cooky dietician told her she's fine eating less than 1,000 calories so it must be true.

That is highly offensive and unhelpful. Of course I am listening and have made changes to my intake. I have not said I am right and others are wrong. And my nutritionist did not say it is ok to go below 1000. Thanks to later posters who have given useful considered advice that I have taken on board.

Highly offensive? Anyone think I was highly, or even REMOTELY offensive? I just don't get it. I was trying to help. But you can be angry with me if you want to be. No skin off MY teeth. But, I will still urge you to stop being so stubborn and open your mind a bit to what everyone here has to say. EVERYONE. Good luck. I really mean that.
    That's only 1.7 lbs.

Are you sure it's fat? Nutritionists don't have to go to school or even be properly educated. I could legally set up shop tomorrow and call myself a nutritionist. DIETITIANS are actual doctors. I, personally, wouldn't trust a nutritionist or his/her tools.

I hate to sidetrack on this thread but where did you get that information/idea? Dietitians are not medical doctors. In the U.S., a dietitian has at least a four-year Bachelor's degree in nutrition/dietetics (or graduate degree), has to have completed an internship, and has to pass a national registration exam from the American Dietetic Association.

Good info. You're right. I should NOT have specified "doctor" anywhere in that post. I should have said what you've just outlined. A dietitian requires a degree and registration. A nutritionist requires ƒuckall.

Thanks for the correction! :drinker:
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options

You can't gain fat and muscle.. It's nearly impossible to gain muscle on a calorie deficit.
  • McKayMachina
    Options

You can't gain fat and muscle.. It's nearly impossible to gain muscle on a calorie deficit.

She won't accept that the tool her nutritionist uses is faulty, despite it being posted several times by familiar parties. :/
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,412 MFP Moderator
    Options

This!

It's counter intuative. Because you need it takes sufficient nutrition to gain muscle (need .5 -1g of protein per pound of lean body mass) and mal nutrition will lead to fat increases due to your bodies retention of fat/carbs (as noted before) to preserve energy.

If you want to see how smart your nutritionist is, ask them how they calculated yoru caloric needs. Was it utilizing body fat to determine your Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR) and factor in your Total Daily Energy Expended (TDEE) or did they just use the generic 1200 calories for women crap? It's rare that person truely only requires 1200 calories, in reality, most people need more to gain muscle and lose weight.

To put some perspective, you need .5 -1g of protein per pound of lean body mass. That means, if you weight 140 lbs and have 30% body fat, that means you have 96 lbs of lean body mass [ LBM = weight - (weight*body fat)]. That means you need 50 - 98 grams of protein. And since 1 g of protein equals 4 calories, that means 200-400 calories just in protein. Now, you also need complex carbs for energy and fats for proper brain and organ function. 1 g of carbs = 4 calories and 1 g of fat is 9 calories. So how can you obtain all those stuff from less than 1200 calories..
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    And my nutritionist did not say it is ok to go below 1000.

Now you're playing at semantics. You said she has seen and approved your food log and told you not to increase your calories. You barely get 1000 calories a day and some days you're under that, therefore, yes she approves of it.
  • emmab0902
    Options
    McKay it wasn't your post I found offensive it was the person calling me a lost cause.
  • McKayMachina
    Options
    McKay it wasn't your post I found offensive it was the person calling me a lost cause.

Thank you very much for clarifying. I'm sorry if I came off as harsh before. It's that sense of, "I'm so mad at you because I want you to be happy/healthy!" kind of thing. I know it's odd to get that way over strangers but we all seem to do it here. It's like a looking-out-for-our-own pack mentality or something.

But, yeah, I hope to see you posting some better news in the coming weeks. Best of luck.