Anyone do Les Mills Classes?

Options
Hey everyone,

I've gone back about 16 or 17 pages and can't find a topic about this, so I hope it's ok that I'm posting...

It's been a while since I've been around these forums, I've only posted a couple times before. I've recently gotten back in to tracking my food (at long last) after starting to exercise a couple months ago, I started with Les Mills Body Attack classes (my friend is an instructor), on average 3 times a week.

Last week I tried Combat (didn't like it as much as Attack) and plan to at least try out Step and RPM at some stage in the coming months.

I'm wondering if there's anyone on here who does Body Attack/Les Mills classes, if so, how do you guess-timate how many calories you burn in a class?

Also, any L.M fans wanna be friends and we can motivate each other as we go?

Thanks in advance!

Las

Replies

• bigdawg025
    bigdawg025 Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    I was a regular at Body Pump before I injured my shoulder, and I also do RPM which is simply a LM version of spinning (It's a great class by the way!)

I'll be back to the classes as soon as I'm able, though... the Pump classes that is. I can still do spin.
  • I try my first RPM class on Wednesday and I'm tempted to try BodyPump on Thursday. I'm just starting this process so BodyPump really intimidates me more than RPM. I don't know what to expect from BodyPump so don't know what to expect. I guess we can always stand in the back and give it a try!

Good luck with your LM classes and keep us updated!
  • un4gvn2
    Options
    I love Body Pump ! I go 3 - 4 times a week (every other day) and Spin on the other days !
  • it_be_asin
    it_be_asin Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    I go to body pump 1-2 times a week. Love it! I would love to do more body attack but it's on at bad times at my gym.
  • morganhccstudent724
    morganhccstudent724 Posts: 1,261 Member
    Options
    I usually go to Combat which I really like and I have occasionally gone to Pump. I have only done Attack once...I didn't care for it as much. I teach Zumba at Gold's so if there is a class before mine or if I'm going to another instructors class I will jump in. I've done Spinning a few times but again it's not something I love. I do really like the classes...makes the time go by faster.

For a high intensity I usually log around 650. But it's really gonna depend on your height and weight.

Good luck on your journey.
  • Mitchlou84
    Options
    I do Attack x 2, Combat x 2, RPM x 1 and Body Pump x 3 per week. LOVE les Mills classes. Have quite a bit of weight to lose and hoping this will boost it!

Have heard that the new Attack release is VERY hard, comes here this week!
  • Mitchlou84
    Options
    Meant to add, I use aerobics to log it, there is a general and high impact option!
  • skjowers1
    Options
    I live for Body Pump! Three to four times a week I am in there and it works! My friend has a Bodybugg system and she weighs 145 and usually burns around 425-450 calories per class.
  • HunniBunniLisy
    HunniBunniLisy Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I love the Les Mills classes. My favourite classes are Step, BodyAttack, BodyJam and (to a lesser extent Pump). I use a HRM to track my calories burned - I generally avg around 550 for Step and BodyAttack, around 450-500 for Jam (or Zumba) and only about 260-300 for Pump :sad: However, Pump apparently keeps your metabolism raised for 48 hours afterwards so the benefits continue on :-)

It depends on your height, weight, age etc as to the number of cals you'll burn. The main thing is to have fun! I really enjoy it so motivation is never an issue!

Good luck with it! :smile:
  • corieueber
    corieueber Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    l love pump and sat burned 400 calories in class (bit low think l slacked off a bit) but as someone else said you burn calories for a while after this class, like attack and can burn 600 calories in it but have a foot injury so can't do any impact, have done step but again can't do that at the moment. Balance is a good stretching one can't think how many calories l do in that one - haven't done it for a while.
  • megz85g
    megz85g Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    i do 2x RPM classes and 1xStep class a week, love them. the teachers are great and it helps keep me motivated.
    i use a Polar HRM during all my exercise and for step usually get around 400 cals (i have to do alot of the low impact options due to bad knees/ankles) and around the same for RPM
  • icemaiden013
    Options
    I was a regular at Body Pump before I injured my shoulder, and I also do RPM which is simply a LM version of spinning (It's a great class by the way!)

I'll be back to the classes as soon as I'm able, though... the Pump classes that is. I can still do spin.

I haven't tried Pump - it intimidates me I think...but RPM is something my friend is learning to instruct so she'll no doubt drag me to that! LOL! Good luck getting back to pump soon! :)
  • icemaiden013
    Options
    I try my first RPM class on Wednesday and I'm tempted to try BodyPump on Thursday. I'm just starting this process so BodyPump really intimidates me more than RPM. I don't know what to expect from BodyPump so don't know what to expect. I guess we can always stand in the back and give it a try!

Good luck with your LM classes and keep us updated!

Thanks :) I think pump intimidates me too, I think the equipment is kinda scary!! LOL
  • icemaiden013
    Options
    I love Body Pump ! I go 3 - 4 times a week (every other day) and Spin on the other days !

Is it difficult? I've thought about trying it, but it's pretty intimidating!
  • icemaiden013
    Options
    I go to body pump 1-2 times a week. Love it! I would love to do more body attack but it's on at bad times at my gym.

That's a shame! I really love attack!! How do you find pump?
  • icemaiden013
    Options
    I usually go to Combat which I really like and I have occasionally gone to Pump. I have only done Attack once...I didn't care for it as much. I teach Zumba at Gold's so if there is a class before mine or if I'm going to another instructors class I will jump in. I've done Spinning a few times but again it's not something I love. I do really like the classes...makes the time go by faster.

For a high intensity I usually log around 650. But it's really gonna depend on your height and weight.

Good luck on your journey.

I'm about 5ft 5 and 235lbs :-/ ouch, doesn't look so good when it's written down lol!!

I didn't like zumba, there was no instruction, the 'teacher' just 'did' and we were meant to follow, I like being told what to do! Surprised you didn't like Attack as much, it's my favourite so far and I haven't found a class to beat it as a workout yet!
  • ellepottsie
    ellepottsie Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I do Body Pump, Body Attack and Body Combat. I have tried most of the other LM classes but I did not find the workout was as intense. I usually log my workout for attack and combat using kick boxing. I work really hard during the class so I am not suprised if I burn about 500 calories.
  • icemaiden013
    Options
    I do Attack x 2, Combat x 2, RPM x 1 and Body Pump x 3 per week. LOVE les Mills classes. Have quite a bit of weight to lose and hoping this will boost it!

Have heard that the new Attack release is VERY hard, comes here this week!

7 classes a week? man! I think I'll build up to that one!!! LOL!!! I can't wait for the new release, we don't get it til late October here!

Also, I know how to physically log the exercise, I just dunno how many calories I burn!
  • icemaiden013
    Options
    I live for Body Pump! Three to four times a week I am in there and it works! My friend has a Bodybugg system and she weighs 145 and usually burns around 425-450 calories per class.

That's a lot of pump!! I weigh almost 100lbs more than your friend, and the LM website says an average of 735 but I really can't see myself having burnt off that many calories!
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    I'm a big Les Mills fan - and Pump is my absolute favourite! I credit it for helping turn my weight loss around, after I started going at least twice a week, and lifting heavier.

(In fact, the studio manager of the gym just asked me to write up my fitness story so he can use it in publicity <blush>)

Also love Combat, and try to get to Balance once a week.

Not a big fan of Attack - too fast and noisy for me (but huge respect for those who can do it!) and I've never really got into spin classes.

its hard to give definitive calorie burns, as it depends so much on your own weight, as well as how much effort you put in. But from my HRM, I easily top 500 cals for Combat class, and depending on how heavy I'm lifting, around 400 for Pump. Balance, 200-300.

Good to find some more fans!