Anyone do Les Mills Classes?

Options

Replies

• melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Pump is mainly strength/weights, but you will certainly burn calories too!

Balance is a mixture of pilates, yoga, bit of Tai Chi - it would never qualify as a valid class in any of those, but it uses the same moves. So it's very stretchy, good for posture, standing strength, as well as clearing your mind. So I find it useful in taking that holistic approach to my body.

It would be a dull world if we all liked the same classes!
  • icemaiden013
    Options
    Pump is mainly strength/weights, but you will certainly burn calories too!

Balance is a mixture of pilates, yoga, bit of Tai Chi - it would never qualify as a valid class in any of those, but it uses the same moves. So it's very stretchy, good for posture, standing strength, as well as clearing your mind. So I find it useful in taking that holistic approach to my body.

It would be a dull world if we all liked the same classes!

That's true!!

Wow sounds interesting! I might try Body Step tonight if I can shake this migraine!!
  • ellepottsie
    ellepottsie Posts: 29 Member
    Options

I find pump much easier than attack or combat because you can choose your weights. I typically choose weights in the intermediate range and I feel it the next day. The first few classes it was hard to follow but if you let the teacher know you are new they will help you out, as does everyone in the class it seems (people are nice at my gym!) I find attack (especially) and combat are a lot more difficult because they are an hour of cardio. I push myself really hard the entire time and I am drenched in sweat by the time I leave. I do see others who go through the motions instead of really working though so they don't get the same work out. I think it depends on how much you put into it.

I think you're right, you get out of it what you put in, I'm normally seriously sweating by the time i'm done with Attack, it's all kinds of gross, but then I know i'm doing something right! LOL!

So pump is strength training? not cardio? it's all weights?

The class uses a barbell and you choose your own weights. The instructor generally tells you what is considered light, intermediate and heavy. I try to stick to the heaviest intermediate range. The more weight you use (obviously ensuring it isn't too heavy that you had bad form) the higher your heart rate will get. I do not find this class is sufficient for me as cardio though. I do pump 2 or 3 times a week depending on my schedule and I always make sure to do a 5km jog on those days as well to get my cardio in.
  • cmbradfield
    Options
    I do body pump about twice a week. At first I was a little intimidated and didn't know if I could keep up. Now I love it and look forward to going. I have toned up alot and I only started about 2 months ago.
  • lorika1977
    lorika1977 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I have been doing these classes for few years now and love all of them - I mostly do Pump and Combat. Pump can be intimidating in the beginning, especially if you haven't done any strengh training before (like I was) but if you start with really low weights and focus on form in the beginning, you will like it eventually. You will hurt for the first week or two but then you feel so much stronger. Strengh training is extremely important for a good balanced workout regime. As women it specifically benefits us against bone loss, which occurs as we age.
    Combat is almost like an anger management tool for me :) All the kicking early in the morning gets me ready for the day.
    Flow is a great stretch, highly recommended.
    What is very annoying is that you cannot find these types of classes in the Fitnesspal database. If I don't have my heart monitor with me I am not sure how much I burned. I realize that it depends on the weight and height, but this is information that is already stored here, so the programmers should be able to estimate.
    Good luck with the classes!!
  • ellepottsie
    ellepottsie Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I have been doing these classes for few years now and love all of them - I mostly do Pump and Combat. Pump can be intimidating in the beginning, especially if you haven't done any strengh training before (like I was) but if you start with really low weights and focus on form in the beginning, you will like it eventually. You will hurt for the first week or two but then you feel so much stronger. Strengh training is extremely important for a good balanced workout regime. As women it specifically benefits us against bone loss, which occurs as we age.
    Combat is almost like an anger management tool for me :) All the kicking early in the morning gets me ready for the day.
    Flow is a great stretch, highly recommended.
    What is very annoying is that you cannot find these types of classes in the Fitnesspal database. If I don't have my heart monitor with me I am not sure how much I burned. I realize that it depends on the weight and height, but this is information that is already stored here, so the programmers should be able to estimate.
    Good luck with the classes!!

I wish they had these classes in the exercise database too! I hope it will happen soon!
  • megz85g
    megz85g Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    we have new releases this week for les mills and i did the new step last night, i loved it
  • Mitchlou84
    Options
    I did the new attack release last night! It nearly killed me it was sooo hard!!
  • YepLilly
    YepLilly Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I do! I mostly go to BodyPump classes. My previous gym had way more Les Mills classes than my current one, I miss that. I also enjoy BodyStep, BodyCombat, BodyFlow. I prefer Zumba over BodyJam though.

ETA: I forgot about RPM, that's a good one too.
  • icemaiden013
    Options
    we have new releases this week for les mills and i did the new step last night, i loved it

Sounds good!
  • icemaiden013
    Options
    I did the new attack release last night! It nearly killed me it was sooo hard!!

oh dear!! what's the music like? anything good?
  • icemaiden013
    Options
    I do! I mostly go to BodyPump classes. My previous gym had way more Les Mills classes than my current one, I miss that. I also enjoy BodyStep, BodyCombat, BodyFlow. I prefer Zumba over BodyJam though.

If I can drag my butt-ski outta bed in the morning I'm gonna try step! eek!
  • pinkgigi
    pinkgigi Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I loved the body balance I did.

Julie
  • Mitchlou84
    Options

Yeah RPM is a great calories burner and tones legs and bum too!
  • YepLilly
    YepLilly Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    bump
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Ooooh, new releases next week! Hoping to get to Pump and Combat.
  • JamesBurkes
    JamesBurkes Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I've always been a weights guy as I hated cardio and I hated doing sports. Probably the only non-weights exercise I actually enjoy (rather than doing because I feel I need to) is cycling and walking. But a few months ago I decided to give RPM a go.

I absolutely love it - cardio used to bore the hell out of me but RPM is really challenging and the time flies by. I now do the 60 minute RPM sessions, too, if I feel up to it. I've tried Body Pump too, and it was a good workout but I only did it a few times as I just prefer doing my own thing with weights.

But RPM.... I really can't recommend it enough.
  • allymorin
    Options
    trying bodypump tomorrow for the first time !
  • chikachic817
    chikachic817 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I tried BodyAttack today for the first time. I was sweating so much, lol. I had to switch to some of the options throughout the workout, but I'm proud of myself, that I at least attempted all of the exercises and didn't quit. I'm gonna try to go to some of the classes as much as I can but, unfortunately alot of the classes are scheduled during times when I am still in class :(
  • Momyontherun
    Momyontherun Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I finally tried ATTACk today...bizarre...i will try it again but not sure where it will go. I already do combat twice a week, pump 3-4 times a week, flow once a week (wish it was available more). I tried step, but I am a KLUTZ!! and RPM was ok, but haven't had time to do that again. According my cardio app, its about 640 calories for me.