Horror Movie Suggestions?

Options
unsuspectingfish
unsuspectingfish Posts: 1,176 Member
I'm in need of some horror movie suggestions (about 31 of them). I mean, suggest all you want, but I need a minimum of 31 movies I've never seen before. One for every day in October. About the only horror I won't watch is the stuff like Saw. Other than that, though, I'll take any and all suggestions I can get. Cheesy horror is perfectly acceptable, too. Foreign horror (from a country other than America) is a bonus. New, old, B, zombies, monsters, serial killers, whatever. What do you recommend?

Replies

• McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,670 Member
    Options
    The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari (1922 German silent film, and also my FAVORITE movie)
    City of Lost Children (subtitled, not dubbed)
    Pan's Labyrinth (subtitled, not dubbed)
    May (2002)

Enjoy!
  • ohwhataday
    ohwhataday Posts: 1,398 Member
    Options
    Rubber.
  • TheShelterCat
    Options
    Dawn of the Dead (the remake)= best zombie movie ever!
    The Omen
    Rosemarys baby
    The exorcist
    Paranormal Activity
    28 Days later
  • asyouseefit
    asyouseefit Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    Insidious
    Dark Water (Japanese version)
    Fright Night (old and new)
  • asyouseefit
    asyouseefit Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    Rubber.

Isn't that the movie with the killing tyre? :D
  • AdAstra47
    AdAstra47 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    "Serenity" is not traditional horror, but you have some pretty horrific things happening in it, and that film is just made of Awesome. :love:
    The "Alien" quadrology (Alien, Alien2, Alien3, Alien:Resurrection) creeps me out every time, too. I really think it's more suspenseful horror than sci-fi, especially the first movie. Instead of the audience yelling "Don't go into that room!" it's "Don't open that airlock!"

Hmmm, scary and/or cheesy... how about "The Undefeated," Sarah Palin's new film? Or just watch our politicians on C-Span? :wink:
  • Tamstar1985
    Tamstar1985 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    i've got a few for you!

the grude 1 & 2 (japanese versions)
    audition
    men from behind the sun
    eraserhead (well, can this qualify as horror? it's pretty disturbing)
    videodrome
    august underground's mordem
    carved
    session 9
    pan's labyrinth
    pet sematary

hope that gets you started :D
  • unsuspectingfish
    Options
    The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari (1922 German silent film, and also my FAVORITE movie)
    City of Lost Children (subtitled, not dubbed)
    Pan's Labyrinth (subtitled, not dubbed)
    May (2002)

Enjoy!
    The only one of those I haven't seen is May. Looks creepy. Just what I want!
    Rubber.
    Ooo, I forgot about that one!
    Dawn of the Dead (the remake)= best zombie movie ever!
    The Omen
    Rosemarys baby
    The exorcist
    Paranormal Activity
    28 Days later
    Saw the original Dawn of the Dead, but I haven't seen the remake, yet. Thanks!
    Insidious
    Dark Water (Japanese version)
    Fright Night (old and new)
    I saw the new Fright Night and really liked it. I'll definitely have to watch the old one, now.
  • unsuspectingfish
    Options
    "Serenity" is not traditional horror, but you have some pretty horrific things happening in it, and that film is just made of Awesome. :love:
    The "Alien" quadrology (Alien, Alien2, Alien3, Alien:Resurrection) creeps me out every time, too. I really think it's more suspenseful horror than sci-fi, especially the first movie. Instead of the audience yelling "Don't go into that room!" it's "Don't open that airlock!"
    LOL, Serenity is pretty damn creepy. I have to admit, I have only seen Aliens. I haven't even seen the first one. Clearly, I need to fix that.
    i've got a few for you!

the grude 1 & 2 (japanese versions)
    audition
    men from behind the sun
    eraserhead (well, can this qualify as horror? it's pretty disturbing)
    videodrome
    august underground's mordem
    carved
    session 9
    pan's labyrinth
    pet sematary

hope that gets you started :D
    Haven't seen most of these. Thanks! Audition was...interesting. Session 9 creeped me the hell out.
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    I love The Mist and few people have seen it. It's a Stephen King book that they made into a pretty decent movie.

For zombies you'll want Night of the Living Dead, if you've seen it then maybe try the 1990 remake which is also quite good. Return of the Living Dead is a must see. Cheesy in all the best ways with a killer punk rock soundtrack and some seriously bad *kitten* zombies.
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    Killer Clowns.
    Last house on the left.
    Asylum.
  • NotGoddess
    NotGoddess Posts: 1,198 Member
    Options
    They aren't movies but you could watch season 1 of The Walking Dead- just watch 2 episodes back to back for movie length.
  • unsuspectingfish
    Options
    They aren't movies but you could watch season 1 of The Walking Dead- just watch 2 episodes back to back for movie length.

Seen it, but you did just remind me that the second season starts soon.
  • whatshesaid
    whatshesaid Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Inside
    Frozen
    Mother's Day remake (I haven't seen the original but the remake was GOOD)
    The Strangers
    Orphan
    May (as someone else said)
    Event Horizon (creeped me out back in the day, weird space movies usually do, but i haven't watched it as an adult so not sure if it actually sucks at this point)
    Troll Hunter (it's foreign with subtitles) - not scary but really good, i guess they're remaking it over here
    Willard (with Crispin Glover)
    Fido (zombie movie)
    Shaun of the Dead if you haven't seen it
    Martyrs
    Descent
    The Thing
    Quarantine/Rec
    30 Days of Night

We live for horror movies so some of these might be weirder than the average person would enjoy!
  • anberlingasm
    Options
    Here's some of my favourites:

Orphan
    Candyman
    The Eye (original Japanese - still can't watch this the whole way through!)
    The Grudge (original Japanese)
    Battle Royale (not strictly horror, but amazing)
    Mirrors
    The Unborn
    Teeth (tongue-in-cheek horror/humour)
    The Children
  • pacmanjack
    pacmanjack Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    The first season of "Walking Dead" from AMC was excellent. I assume it's available for rental in various formats.

Highly recommended.
  • McKayMachina
    Options
    A few more...these may or may not qualify as strictly horror but they have elements of horror and freaked me RIGHT out!

- Solaris
    - Mission to Mars
    - It's Alive (Okay, this one's DEFINITELY horror and is HILARIOUS!): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/It's_Alive_(1974_film)
    - The Abyss
    - IT

I'll add more if anything comes to mind.
  • McKayMachina
    Options
    I can't believe A Nightmare on Elm St. isn't here yet. Weird.

But you've probably already seen it. :p
  • Laurayinz
    Laurayinz Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    I hear Human Centipede is pretty disturbing... Not sure if you're looking for that though. :noway:
  • McKayMachina
    Options
    I hear Human Centipede is pretty disturbing... Not sure if you're looking for that though. :noway:

I thought it was boring and not at all shocking and DEFINITELY not otherwise enjoyable. :/ It was too much like Saw/Hostel minus the cool plot twists.