Horror Movie Suggestions?

Options

Replies

• jrhstarlight
    jrhstarlight Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    Definitely if you haven't seen the Sleepaway Camp movies they are a must!
  • tiffanyrose519
    tiffanyrose519 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Splinter is a surprisingly really good movie (I thought it would be lame, but had to watch it and it was great!) and The Descent 1 & 2 (although 1 is better!)

I love all the suggestions, horror movies are my favorite!
  • Eden Lake.....very disturbing
    The Changeling (w/George C Scott)....very spooky
    Amityville Horror (original w/ James Brolin)
    Blair Witch Project
  • SabrinaJL
    SabrinaJL Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    Here's some of my favourites:

Teeth (tongue-in-cheek horror/humour)

I didn't expect to like Teeth but I loved it. My recommendation would be Thankskilling. It is absolutely the best worst movie I have ever seen. Don't take it seriously. Booze helps.
  • TheOddOne
    TheOddOne Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Drat. Already mentioned.... I was gonna recommend the evil dead series. This gives me a good idea for my own Halloween event as I have all the movies and video games. Marathon! I have a set called "dark tales of Japan" it reminds me of like a tales from the dark side kinda thing except waaaaay creepier and with subtitles. It has many different short stories. :)
  • jrhstarlight
    jrhstarlight Posts: 867 Member
    Options

I didn't expect to like Teeth but I loved it. My recommendation would be Thankskilling. It is absolutely the best worst movie I have ever seen. Don't take it seriously. Booze helps.

OMG I love Thankskilling and now I watch it every thanksgiving my family thinks I'm silly but whatever I LOVE it and thought I was the only one LOL :D
  • xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    Options
    wolfe creek
  • unsuspectingfish
    unsuspectingfish Posts: 1,176 Member
    Options
    Lots of great suggestions. Thanks, guys! I've got quite the list going, now.
  • Jelleebean
    Options
    If you like a good ghost story, then I'd recommend "The Changeling" (1980) with George C. Scott. eeek.gif

i recommend this to anyone who wants a good 'horror' movie... no gore, but, it'll mess you the hell up... i suggested it to someone yesterday who was looking for something to watch... by far my favourite movie of all time.
    someone else suggested Sleepaway Camp... that movie still makes me go 'wtf?'
    as for older, the original House of Wax is awesome... can't really go wrong with Vincent Price.... although, the original, Paris Hilton's death is one of the greatest death scenes ever.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Thanks for mentioning sleepaway camp! I'm definitely checking that series out!
  • unsuspectingfish
    Options
    as for older, the original House of Wax is awesome... can't really go wrong with Vincent Price.... although, the original, Paris Hilton's death is one of the greatest death scenes ever.

I've gotten so many people to watch Repo! the Genetic Opera by mentioning Paris Hilton's face scene. I may have to add House Of Wax to MY list for that.
  • AnaNotBanana
    AnaNotBanana Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    If you like zombie movies and have Netflix check out La Horde and Dead Snow. Both foreign movies with subtitles but both freaking awesome! I'm a huge zombie movie fan and La Horde is definitely in my Top 10 favorite zombie movies of all time.
  • angelicdisgrace
    angelicdisgrace Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    HELLRAISER
  • unsuspectingfish
    Options
    If you like zombie movies and have Netflix check out La Horde and Dead Snow. Both foreign movies with subtitles but both freaking awesome! I'm a huge zombie movie fan and La Horde is definitely in my Top 10 favorite zombie movies of all time.

I saw the North American premiere of Dead Snow. I have never laughed so much in my life.
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    If you do this every year then I'm assuming you've probably seen these, but in case you haven't:

Foreign:
    A Tale of Two Sisters
    Ju On
    House of Voices/Saint Ange (was released under two different names)
    Anatomy (try desperately to only get the subtitled one)
    The Orphanage
    The Devil's Backbone
    Suspiria

Cheesy, yet eerily creepy:
    Evil Dead
    Drag Me to Hell
    Ginger Snaps
    Ginger Snaps Back
    The Woods

Miscellaneous:
    The Shining (yes, Shelley Duvall can be humorous, but it's still creepy)
    Stir of Echoes
    Darkness (unrated version, theatrical is worthless)
    Little Girl Who Lives Down the Lane (creeped me out, but maybe more suspense than horror)
    The Frighteners (okay, comedy horror - still a good movie)
    Carrie
    Rocky Horror Picture Show
    The Others
    Psycho
    Friday the 13th The Series (sometimes cheesy, sometimes incredibly creepy)
    The Watcher in the Woods (scared me as a kid, anyway)
    Resident Evil (first one)
    Underworld series
    Lost Boys
    Rosemary's Baby
    28 Days Later
    The Forsaken

There was a really great Japanese ghost flick I saw a while back and I just cannot remember what it is. I'll get back to you if I think of it. I mostly don't go for gore, but horror-suspense. I hope you find at least one or two on that list!
  • veganbaum
    Options
    I love The Mist and few people have seen it. It's a Stephen King book that they made into a pretty decent movie.

For zombies you'll want Night of the Living Dead, if you've seen it then maybe try the 1990 remake which is also quite good. Return of the Living Dead is a must see. Cheesy in all the best ways with a killer punk rock soundtrack and some seriously bad *kitten* zombies.

Sorry, but I did NOT like The Mist - so disappointing.
  • veganbaum
    Options
    Oh yes, some mentioned IT! Can't believe I forgot that one.
  • veganbaum
    Options
    Assuming you've seen these since they're popular, but I love revisiting stuff when I haven't in a while - makes it scary all over again: Poltergeist, Gremlins, Ghostbusters, Constantine, Blade, The Amityville Horror (original)
  • tgh1914
    tgh1914 Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    I'd highly suggest any of the movies based on the works of Clive Barker. His more popular ones are Hellraiser & Hellbound, but even better are The Midnight Meat Train and Gods and Monsters.

This guy's mind is really warped, love it.
  • zorbaru
    zorbaru Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    if you get the nightmare on elm street franchise, the friday the 13th franchise and the halloween franchise, that should pretty much take up all 31 days