Save my breasts!

Options
Help me out people! I have a bag of frozen chicken breasts, and for whatever reason, they always come out tough, dry and chewy, no matter how I cook them. I can cook fresh chicken, and it turns out awesome. Is there a magic way to marinate them, a recipe that never fails, or a technique that I missed in home-ec class that will keep them juicy? I don't really want to throw them away... Is there any way to save my frozen chicken breasts?

Replies

• jenny138
    Options
    The frozen ones are the only ones I buy. I usually make them in a skillet and put alot of water in the pan. I pretty much boil them in the pan and put spices and stuff on them while they are cooking in the water. Then when they are done I will take the lid off and let the water cook away then put BBQ sauce on them or something like that then cook them in that for a few mins. I dont have a problem with them being dry.
  • BondBomb
    BondBomb Posts: 1,781 Member
    Options
    LOL best topic.
  • Amo_Angelus
    Amo_Angelus Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Thaw them out and tenderize them, or wrap them in something like bacon which willhold the juices in.
  • chef970
    chef970 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Let the frozen ones totally thaw out before cooking...you can do anything with them as you wish.
  • MrsPike07
    Options
    I usually bake my chicken. I put them in the baking dish, season them and add about a half a cup of water so they dont dry out. Cover with tin foil and bake away! (Remove tin foil about 15 mins before taking them out to brown the tops) Hope that helps!
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    Do you fully defrost them before you prepare them? If I cook frozen chicken from its frozen state, it always comes out dry and tough. But if I defrost, it comes out almost as good as fresh chicken.
  • angieash5
    Options
    When I take them out to defrost I put them in water with salt. I doing this two days ahead of time so they have time to soak. Then they are defrosted and tender! (just throw them in the salty water frozen)
  • micheeks
    micheeks Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Try to boil them first then grill,broil or debone. ;)
  • karenwill2
    karenwill2 Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    it is true. They have to be totally thawed before you cook them for best results
  • Laura_beau
    Laura_beau Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure if you can get these in the US, but in the UK you can buy these cooking bags where you add your seasonings, meat and veggies into the bag, shake, tie off, pierce and then bake in the oven.

There are also Maggi seasoning sachets that come with a bag too- these are excellent and quick. (Called maggi so juicy)

I use frozen chicken breasts (thawed first) and have the BEST results with these cooking bags- by far the juciest chicken I have ever had.!!!!

Saves on washing dishes too :o)
  • ladybg81
    ladybg81 Posts: 1,553 Member
    Options
    I had to re-read your first sentence several times before I caught on. At first, I thought you were going to say you had a bag of frozen chicken ON your breast...

I don't know what's wrong with me today
  • MrsSmith2010
    MrsSmith2010 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I only buy frozen chicken breasts. I've found that following the water in the pan is the best idea too however I do it a little differently. I put just barely any water in the pan and while I'm bringing that to a boil I rub the chicken with seasoning. Then I put it in the pan and cover. Each time the water disappears I add a little more, this way it's less of a 'boiled' chicken effect and just more liquid. You also can do it with light sodium broth, that turns out really tasty.

Another thing you can do it like a shake and bake (you can find much healthier home made versions of this) and bake them. These ALWAYS turn out juicy!!

Good luck with your chicken boobies!!!
  • BethanyMasters
    BethanyMasters Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    Frozen ones need to be totally thawed out. Once thawed I stab them to death with a fork and then marinade. Pretty much any marinade will work, you can even make your own.

Then when I bake them I cover the pan with foil. I started doing this a few weeks ago and the difference is amazing.
  • Packerfan23
    Packerfan23 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    My husband swears by coating the chicken with olive oil-it really seems to seal the moisture in. I believe (since he does most of the cooking!) that he does thaw them out first as well. Hope that helps! :happy:
  • TheGlen
    TheGlen Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    A lot of people say you should thaw them...but I cook them right from frozen on my indoor grill. I turn it up on high, and cook it for 12 minutes. It grills it on both sides at once, and as long as I don't forget they are in there, then they come out perfect.

I've heard a couple people suggesting that a cast iron pan works good as well (http://goo.gl/fXVzH).
  • peddlepusher
    Options
    I put mine in the crockpot with a little water, cook them until tender, pull em out put on broiler pan w/bar-b-q sauce and broil until sauce dries a little bit.--- yum best bbq chicken in town!!
  • jljohnson
    jljohnson Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    Loving the variety of ideas so far! Thanks everyone, and keep 'em coming :smile:
  • jbdowns35
    Options
    Maybe you're over cooking them. Brown the outside to keep the juices in & then cook semi-slowly, medium heat til done in the middle, but not over-done. Don't poke them with a fork or cut open while you're cooking them, that lets the juices out & they get dry. Marinade in italian dressing overnight, or for a few hours.
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    poach them!!! let them thaw out, and in a deep pan sautee some onions and garlic, and then when it's cooked bring chicken broth and some water to boil mixed with herbs, a bay leaf or two. enough to cover the chicken. once its boiling bring it to a simmer, and immerse the chicken in it. let it cook for like, 7 minutes. serve with some brown rice and asparagus.

ok, know i know what i'm doing for dinner tonight.
  • trelm249
    trelm249 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Let them thaw. Cube them. Marinade with .5 cup Olive Oil, .5 cup water, minced garlic, rosemary. Cook them on grill as k-bobs (just till done, nover overcooked). Serve with spaghetti squash and zuchini in a white (or a blush) wine sauce.