Couch to 5k - starting today- want to do this with me?

Replies

• navywifeandmomof4
    navywifeandmomof4 Posts: 958 Member
    getting ready to do w4d1 so far so good
  • BeautifulArtemis
    BeautifulArtemis Posts: 641 Member
    W1D1 Down :)
  • Dickersondiva
    Dickersondiva Posts: 97 Member
    I did W1D2 today....yesterday I did W1D1. I obviously need new shoes. The "appropriate" motion control running shoes (Brooks Ariel 7) for heavy runners that I bought back in 08 are just too heavy and clunky. I am going to a specialy running shoe store 1.5 hrs away from my house to buy shoes....this store does a video gait analysis while walking and running....

On day 1 I wore the clunky Brooks and I felt like it was more work to keep from tripping up than it was to run. My calves tightened up ferociously and even the walks in between were torture. So I experimented...today I got out my casual running shoes that have NO arch support (yeah, bad...asking for it)...and the run went BETTER. I feel like if I get the middle ground running shoe (earmarked for stability) that I will find my happy place.

Overall, the second day was slightly better than the first. I will probably repeat week 1 for good measure. Annnndd....NO SHIN SPLINTS TODAY!! Yaaay!
  • Good Luck! I started today as well.
  • Completed Week 1 Day 2 today and it was a real struggle. I think I remember why now I haven't run in 30 years - SHIN SPLINTS !! I have a good pair of shoes, so not sure what the problem is. I bought some gel insoles to put in my shoes to see if that will help. Anyone have any advice?
  • BeautifulArtemis
    w1d2 complete :)
  • Dickersondiva
    Dickersondiva Posts: 97 Member
    Completed Week 1 Day 2 today and it was a real struggle. I think I remember why now I haven't run in 30 years - SHIN SPLINTS !! I have a good pair of shoes, so not sure what the problem is. I bought some gel insoles to put in my shoes to see if that will help. Anyone have any advice?

Shin splints are the devil. I know from experience. Toe taps are good for those. Whenever you are sitting at the desk, or any chair, tap your toe on the floor with your heel planted out to the left, center, and right on both feet. This helps strengthen the muscles that PREVENT shin splints. I'm flat footed, so I have to invest in better shoes. Also, someone on here told me that if you have large, tight calves, that the calves can get so tight during running/walking that they can force traction on the muscles that attach to your shins; stretching your calves really really well (even if not pre/post run) helps. Also, ibuprofen and ice works. :) Hope that helps. I'll let you know if I learn anything else.
  • I started the Couch to 10K on Tuesday, so I'll be right there with you. I just did my second day today. Good luck and keep up the good work.
  • Completed Week 1 Day 2 today and it was a real struggle. I think I remember why now I haven't run in 30 years - SHIN SPLINTS !! I have a good pair of shoes, so not sure what the problem is. I bought some gel insoles to put in my shoes to see if that will help. Anyone have any advice?

Compression socks!!! Yes, I was talking to an avid runner the other day and he told me to get them. He said they don't look all that nice but if you are wearing sweats then it's all good!! :D
  • rbryntes
    rbryntes Posts: 710 Member
    in addition to the other advice, ice and massage work for me. And I totally had shin splints all week last week when I started walking on the treadmill, but by Sunday they were gone and haven't come back. Hang in there!
  • vickijank
    vickijank Posts: 73 Member
    Add me in!! I love Couch to 5k. I'm hoping to (attempt) a 5k for Halloween. I'm on Week 5 Day 3 but with all the rain I haven't been able to get out. Maybe joining will help me get my motivation back :)

Shin splints are the devil. I know from experience. Toe taps are good for those. Whenever you are sitting at the desk, or any chair, tap your toe on the floor with your heel planted out to the left, center, and right on both feet. This helps strengthen the muscles that PREVENT shin splints. I'm flat footed, so I have to invest in better shoes. Also, someone on here told me that if you have large, tight calves, that the calves can get so tight during running/walking that they can force traction on the muscles that attach to your shins; stretching your calves really really well (even if not pre/post run) helps. Also, ibuprofen and ice works. :) Hope that helps. I'll let you know if I learn anything else.

thanks for the advice. definitely gonna try all of that. Didn't run today. Gonna try the Day 3 tomorrow and see how it goes.
  • in addition to the other advice, ice and massage work for me. And I totally had shin splints all week last week when I started walking on the treadmill, but by Sunday they were gone and haven't come back. Hang in there!

My wonderful hubby rubbed my feet and legs for me last night. That's always a good thing.

Compression socks!!! Yes, I was talking to an avid runner the other day and he told me to get them. He said they don't look all that nice but if you are wearing sweats then it's all good!! :D

I know that would help. Way back when I had to run for my physical fitness for my job, I had shin splints and got the athletic trainer to tape my legs and it felt wonderful.
  • rbryntes
    rbryntes Posts: 710 Member
    I did day 2, week 1 this morning. I've been using the iPhone app so when I hit 20 minutes and it told me to run again I was surprised. But I ran so much better this morning...it was easier than the first day, and I ran faster.
  • BeautifulArtemis
    W1D3 DONE!
  • navywifeandmomof4
    navywifeandmomof4 Posts: 958 Member
    W6D3 done!! sorry i haven't posted in awhile..
  • laurensohn22
    laurensohn22 Posts: 163 Member
    W1d3 done !

And I'm actually curious its see if anyone has done the c25k and what kind of results you got . I've heard that most people don't lose to much weight but their body ( specially legs) change a lot !! I sure hope so
  • ASPhantom
    ASPhantom Posts: 637 Member
    I will graduate tomorrow! I am so excited and proud.

I am going to take a couple of weeks plan free and run 3 times a week for 30 minutes. I will slowly add a 5% time increase each week.

Once, I speed up my 5K time, my goal is 33 min by Halloween and 30 min by Thanksgiving, I will start the Bridge to 10K.

My goal is to do the Disney Princess Half Marathon in February 2013!
  • I will do it when my knee heals- Let me know what program you're doing :)
    Thanks!
This discussion has been closed.