C25K !!!! Group starting 9/6 (open to anyone)

Ok people I'm starting the C25K today so if anyone wants to join me nows the time. It's a challenge but we can do this! I'm also going to start the 30 day shred on alternating days. Wish me luck as I wish it to you !

Replies

• kcdrake
    kcdrake Posts: 512
    I just started today too! We can totally do this!
  • kimtpa1417
    kimtpa1417 Posts: 461 Member
    I also started today and really thought I was going to fall out in someones front yard...lol But I am in.
  • Hi, I started the c25k and I'm in. We can do this together!!!
  • rbryntes
    rbryntes Posts: 710 Member
    I didn't even know what a C25K was until an hour ago.

Count me in. The worst that can happen is that I work my way up from less than sedentary to running say, 0.5K, right?
  • Ok guys I just finished my first day and man, i can't believe I actually ran! I'm starting at a 3.0 pace for the first week because I don't want to over do it. I followed the program and when i was out of breath I just kept telling myself that i can do it and that hard work gets better results. I hope that this group will motivate you all to push through when it gets hard. Good luck ladies! Oh and I tried to do the 30 day shred right after , (what a nut case!) that was a bad idea, i almost passed out. So everyone on MFP was right Ill alternate days so that I don't push to hard.
  • can someone clue me in on how to get started or what i need to do the c25k??
  • rbryntes
    Are you doing it on the treadmill? I can't figure out what to put it on for walking versus running. This morning (non C25K) I walked briskly at 3.5, at an incline of 3.0. Do I do a, say, 3.3 for the walk and maybe a 4.0 for the jog?
  • rbryntes
    I just went to my favorite search engine (rhymes with Shmoogle) and typed something like "what is a couch to 5k?" and there were various free sites.
  • can someone clue me in on how to get started or what i need to do the c25k??

Yes! ok first look it up on google because the first link will be the site where you can print out the program. I found an app on the android market on my phone that does all the timing for me and still allows me to hear my music.
    http://www.c25k.com/

Good luck! If you need help just message me.
  • Are you doing it on the treadmill? I can't figure out what to put it on for walking versus running. This morning (non C25K) I walked briskly at 3.5, at an incline of 3.0. Do I do a, say, 3.3 for the walk and maybe a 4.0 for the jog?

I went to the gym and used a treadmill . I did mine at a 3.0 speed and 1.0 incline like the program suggest. The speed is up to you, I figure I'll increase that as I go through the program and get used to running.
  • mabelebam
    mabelebam Posts: 150 Member
    I started with the C25k yesterday, but only managed to complete about 4 reps of the 60sec/90sec. Hopefully I will be able to complete it tomorrow.

Today I did the Day 1 of 30ds and it was hardcore! Gives you a whole body workout in strength + cardio segments. Jillian Michaels doesn't leave you with much breathing space, but I can definitely see why.

Let's keep each other motivated through these few weeks! hope it gets better with more time and practice.
  • I started with the C25k yesterday, but only managed to complete about 4 reps of the 60sec/90sec. Hopefully I will be able to complete it tomorrow.

Today I did the Day 1 of 30ds and it was hardcore! Gives you a whole body workout in strength + cardio segments. Jillian Michaels doesn't leave you with much breathing space, but I can definitely see why.

Let's keep each other motivated through these few weeks! hope it gets better with more time and practice.

Glad to see that you finished the first day of the shred! Man I hope I can do it tomorrow after getting some rest. As for the c25k , it will get easier I promise. try finding a phrase to say in your head when you feel it's getting tough. That really helped me. A friend of mine also has a happiness board with pictures that she made on her computer, it has pictures of all the people who love and support her, she puts it on her treadmill and it helps her remember why she's pushing herself harder. Good luck!
  • Hi Everyone!

I did week 1 day 1 last night too! Tried it up a hill and almost killed myself so im sticking to FLAT!

But i loved it and im feeling motivated, slightly sore nothing too bad!

3 weeks ago i was very sick and could barely walk a few yards, so im so proud to have made day 1 even :D

Yay to the C25k!
  • lilyinlove
    lilyinlove Posts: 441 Member
    I am doing my third day week one today. I had to give my butt and thighs a rest because of the squads and lunges I did the day before. Yesterday my legs were in agony. So can't wait to get out tonight. I have te iPhone app and the thing that keeps me running is that I know any second it's going to go " bing- walk". We can do this. I used to love running a year ago, slacked off MFP because of the heavy snow in the UK but I am back on track again.

Laura
  • ooOOooGravy
    ooOOooGravy Posts: 476 Member
    Hi all, I don't qualify for just starting C25K as I'm on week 6 day 3. But I love to see how other get on at it. I was like you guys for the first week, dying after just a 1 minute run and having to repeat it for 20 whole minutes! Thought my world was coming to an end! Lol

However 6 weeks later I'm running for 20 minutes straight covering a couple of miles. I can vouch for this program, it does work! Sometimes its hard, or you can't be bothered, or you get disheartend. Just push forward, its well worth it! :)

From a guy that has never run in his life, happy running people! :)

Ps ask any questions you want, I'm not an expert or anything but happy to share my experiences
  • Thanks for sharing ooOOooGravy! So many people have suprised themselves and can run now - i hope ill be one!
  • ooOOooGravy
    ooOOooGravy Posts: 476 Member
    Thanks for sharing ooOOooGravy! So many people have suprised themselves and can run now - i hope ill be one!

Best of luck, I now call myself a runner, iv never done that before!

btw anyone can add me! i have a few C25K friends and all support each other and im always looking for more :)
  • I'm in! I have tried the C25K before and got to week 4 before going on vacation, then slacked when I got back. The beach was a great motivator to get into shape, however now that I don't have that looming over my head, I have had difficulties getting back into it. Over the past few weeks I have been repeating week 1 (for 2-2.5 weeks and more for sprints than anything). My goal is to get into shape for Indoor Soccer this winter (not the beach, but definitely worth it!). So yesterday I managed to talk myself to start progressing again. So now that I see there is a group starting, I am most definitely in as I need the support to keep running as well as give support to my fellow MFP friends!

From my past experience, if you can get through week 1, it gets easier, however for me week 4 was killer! 3min run, walk, 5 min run x 2 (or 3 i cant remember). Doesn't seem like much until you are staring it in the face! Looking to crush it this time though, but that is a few weeks away :0) Also, good music and the iPhone/iPod app is a great tool and worth the couple bucks!

For yesterday: W2D1 - Treadmill Settings: Run = 7.1; Walk = 3.8; Incline = 3

Happy running!
  • kyunda
    kyunda Posts: 340 Member
    I'm in!! I'm starting the treadmill version today!
  • rbryntes
    Okay, I did week 1, day 1 this morning. The manager at my gym was very proud that I moved from a fast walk to a jog.

Treadmill settings:

Walk: 2.8
    Incline: 1.0
    Run: 3.8

My usual treadmill workout is 3.4 on an incline of 3.0, but I have to say, having done the run this morning, showered, and come straight upstairs to work, my thighs are KILLING me! (Yes, I stretched before and after.)