Show me the "facts"

Options

Replies

• iwillsoonbeslim
    Options
    Why don't you start? Why do you do what you do? (Not being mean. I think people would respond if you let them know what you are looking for.

My thoughts exactly!
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options

You say in your post that it is "scientific" that if you put more energy in than you expend then you will gain weight. Don't get me wrong, I completely agree with you. My desire is not to call you out but is to see if I can get some, at least SOMEWHAT, scientific backing behind a lot of these "tenants of health" that most of us hold so dear.

This is like asking for scientific proof to back up that the sky is blue. It's common knowledge that eating more calories than you burn will make you gain weight...

For me, working out daily and eating non-processed foods just makes me feel better. The headaches I get when I eat refined sugars is all the proof I need.
  • hewhoiscd
    hewhoiscd Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    I don't have any single link to give. I just researched and read a great deal from a wide variety of sources and then applied my common sense to it all and designed a way of life that I could *sustain* for the rest of my life. It's not perfect, but it is much much better than what I used to do. More importantly, I know it is sustainable for me and I know (now) that it actually works for me.

There is no one perfect way for everyone.
  • I have no seen fat head, but i've heard alot of stuff and debates regarding it. But tbh, i think nothings better than the old fashioned eat less move more 80percent clean 20percent whatever.. you can't go wrong, these shows over complicate diets.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    I'm highly critical of the claims made by most fad diets beyond eating less and moving more make you lose weight and weighing less makes you healthier. I use MFP for portion/calorie control and cook from scratch as much as I can with loads of market vegetables for balanced nutrition and cheapness!
  • helenium
    helenium Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    Calories in minus calories out must be negative.

Why do I do this? I, like the universe and all things within it, am no exception to the 1st law of thermodynamics (consult your local physic or bioenergetics textbook!). Energy can be converted from one form into another, but not created nor destroyed.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    I have never seen so many "right" ways to eat until I started poking around these message boards. It all seems so complex. I try to keep things as simple as possible.
    I try to eat real food. Veggies, fruits, nuts, meat, fish & chicken. But it's not the end of the world when I eat sweets or processed items, although I do try and limit the processed stuff. I eat sensible portions and exercise often (usually running).
    I didn't need any studies or science to lead me to this conclusion. It's pretty simple & basic, all it takes is deciding to do it.
  • VeganGal84
    VeganGal84 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    I started out with Weight Watchers and switched to MFP, where it seems I could still basically practice what I learned from WW: everything in moderation.

I don't know about any huge studies out there, I just know that for me, allowing everything into my diet in moderation (including all of my favorite junk foods) has worked wonders for me.

Also, I'm vegan, but more for personal reasons than weight loss ones, however, you can find great health benefits for vegan eating here: thekindlife.com

So my biggest two things: Veganism, and "everything in moderation" (except animal products for me)

I believe in moderation because in the past when I've tried to eliminate junk food or only have it on certain days, I ended up bingeing.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I read a lot of fitness/health magazines and articles in the news and pay attention to various studies. But then I see the studies start to contradict themselves and it makes me crazy, so I go with what makes sense:

Eat as close to all-natural, from-the-earth as possible and burn more calories than you consume. I'd like the quick fix of HCG or Slim Fast, but those diets are artificial and clearly unhealthy so I decided against them and every other quick-fix fad diet. I follow Weight Watchers, but it's basically calorie-counting wrapped in a different package.

Also, I want the flexibility to LIVE -- to go to a party or out to dinner every once in a while and be able to eat without worry.

I'm also vegetarian, but that's because eating animals makes me want to cry and not because I think it's necessarily healthier. :-)
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    The best thing a person can do is look for the truth behind the claims people make. I commend you for wanting solid evidence and not just accepting what you heard without questioning it.

We all know that the diet world is absolutely packed with bad science and terrible logic. Fad diets that end up doing more harm than good. People really need to avoid that.

I'm just counting calories and trying to exercise more. With the help of MFP it's easy, free and I love that about this app/site. They don't tell you what to do, they just let you know exactly what it is you're doing to yourself.
  • missikay1970
    missikay1970 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    i agree with two main points that i see in other replies:
    (1) i love the way i look & feel (mostly feel) now that i am eating healthy and exercising regularly. even though i am losing weight, my main goal in starting at the gym, walking more, riding my bike where i can instead of driving and eating healthy, was to gain a healthy lifestyle to pass-on to my children. i don't want a DIET, i want a new way of life to avoid cardiovascular disease & diabetes which both run in my family due to poor living habits. even though i might not answer your question directly with a "real reason" - i think the proof comes in when i run after my 3-year-old and don't get winded, or i watch my cholesterol number decline without medications. that is all the scientific proof i require to know i'm doing the right thing.
    (2) it is common knowledge. everyone knows that an apple is a better choice than a do-nut. i spent years eating what i "wanted" to eat and watching my health decline before my eyes. i don't think it takes reading or research to know that highly processed foods are "bad" for our bodies. we must make better choices if we want a better outcome. i'm not living without my "fun foods" however, i ate a chili dog on monday! LOL but that used to be the type of food i ate 100% of the time, and now it's something i have maybe once every two weeks.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    here are some studies that debunk the nonsense the Taubes et al that it is the evil carbs and insulin that make you fat

Acheson KJ, et al. Nutritional influences on lipogenesis and thermogenesis after a carbohydrate meal. American Journal of Physiology – Endocrinology and Metabolism, Jan 1, 1984; 246: E62-E70.

Hellerstein MK. De novo lipogenesis in humans: metabolic and regulatory aspects. European Journal of Clinical Nutrition, 1999; 53 (Suppl 1): S53-S65.

Holt SHA, et al. An insulin index of foods: the insulin demand generated by 1000-kJ portions of common foods. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, Nov, 1997; 66: 5: 1264-1276.

McLaughlin T, et al. Differences in insulin resistance do not predict weight loss in response to hypocaloric diets in healthy obese women. Journal of Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism, 1999; 84 (2): 578-581.

de Luis DA, et al. Differences in glycaemic status do not predict weight loss in response to hypocaloric diets in obese patients. Clinical Nutrition, Feb 2006; 25 (1): 117-122.

Due A, et al. No effect of inhibition of insulin secretion by diazoxide on weight loss in hyperinsulinaemic obese subjects during an 8-week weight-loss diet. Diabetes, Obesity and Metabolism, Jul 2007; 9 (4): 566-574.
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    I have never seen Fat Head and honestly, I don't care about the seven billion posts on MFP every day with people copying and pasting articles from biased and non-biased sources on why their way is the "right" way. I do what makes sense to me and works for me. That includes:

1. Move your body. Yes, you can lose weight without exercising but it isn't the healthiest route. Being sedentary will hurt you in the long run. This can include just walking, stretching, and other low impact exercise, or you can go crazy with strength training and whatnot. Do what you like and what interests you enough where you'll keep doing it.

2. Eat real food. I try and only eat real food and if the item has an ingredient list, I know what those ingredients are. I cook mostly from scratch for everyday meals using real ingredients like vegetables, meat, oils, rice, *real* cheese, etc. I am the anti-Hungry Girl, lol.

3. Eat junk in moderation and taking a cue from Michael Pollan, if you are going to eat junk, make it yourself. Chances are it will be much healthier than pre-made stuff and it will taste better. I still make from-scratch cookies, brownies, etc. but I eat very little of what I make, set aside some for my husband, and give away the rest (bring it to the vultures in my office).

Using these three principles, I have lost almost 30 pounds, and this approach just makes sense to me. Banning certain food groups doesn't make sense to me and my diet, and there are foods (and alcohol!) I can't avoid for the rest of my life because I love them too much! When I do eat food that is truly crap, I keep the portion size in moderation and don't do it often.

This works for me and I know it won't work for others. I try to refrain from judging anyone going about their weight loss on a different path, as we all have individual limitations and needs that have to be taken into account.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    I have seen both Supersize Me and Fathead and I think the truth lies somewhere in the middle. The one thing all camps seem to agree on is that processed carbs are a problem. And other than simple calorie counting, that's the main thing I worry about reducing. I have read dozens of books on diet, nutrition, fitness . . . so I can't really point to any one fact or study. It's been trial and error, taking what makes sense to me and what works for me.
  • Deckershann
    Deckershann Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I guess it's just the difference between ppl wanting to just lose weight vs. ppl wanting to be healthy. (I'm definitely no guru...this is just my personal...kinda jacked up point of view) Anyway, I will step right up and confess I'm not healthy...but I lose the weight. Calories in...calories out. If I want to lose weight fast...I exercise twice as many off as I eat.

Yours truly,
    Young and Dumb lol
  • haileemou
    Options
    Gawd everyone loves a good arguement on here hahaha!

I believe that not everyone is designed to follow a certain diet! ISome dont work for everyone. Personally i cant just do low calorie, it doesnt do a lot!

I eat a lot of meat, veggies, fruits...avoiding bad carbs! Carbs for me make me feel sluggish and i store them as soon as ive eaten them! Its taken me years to find out...

Oh and ofcourse excercise
  • adrian_indy
    adrian_indy Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    I've read a lot on the subject, and there are so many theories that it's easy to get confused. Here are my own conclusions.

1. Pills and drops almost never work long term.

2. Changing diet and exercise are great, but change of life style is the key to maintaining a healthy weight, (hiking, nature walks, more physical activity in general).

3. There is something to be said about 4-6 meals a day. I know people will argue about the theory that 5-6 meals a day is better than 3, but it seems to have worked for me.

4. Grains and fiber not only seem to fill me up, but curb my appetite.

5. Lift weights. Even if it's only twice a week upper/lower body.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    So I just finished watching the documentary "Fat Head" on Netflix. I can say that while I have read a lot of things, I have never seen a movie that goes so far against what I have seen/heard/attempted to live my entire life. This is, of course, not to say that everything that went on in the movie is right, correct, or factual, but it brought up an interesting thought.

Why do you all believe in what you believe in? Right now I am mainly referring to your health/diet/food choices but the question can be translated to all parts of life. Why do you do what you do?

Paleo? HCG? Low-fat? Low-sugar? Calories in - Calories out?

Why did you all start doing what you are currently doing? Did you hear it from a friend? On TV? Read an article?

I follow this - http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/

as much as possible. I do it because I work in health care and I know it's evidence based. I do it because it's sensible and doesn't ask me to cut any one group of foods from my diet. But mostly I do it because it's kept me healthy for more than 20 years (I'm 50 and never been on meds, BP, lipids and organ function all fine).
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    For me, I needed to move a LOT more (sedentary lifestyle) and eat more consistantly. I used to starve myself until I couldn't stand it (or until I went out for dinner or drinks), then gorge myself.

My changes were gradual.

I started off eating breakfast when I hadn't done so my entire life. I felt much better once I got used to it.

I eliminated fast food at first simply because it was too high in calories for my limited allowance. Then I found out what fast food consists of!

I switched from processed grains to whole. This kept insulin levels from spiking and me from crashing (once I crash, I binge until the shakes are gone). Whole grains and brown rice add fiber and satiety to my diet.

I started eliminating sweeteners, focusing in on HFCS which is in every dam thing! Researching this led me to studies that indicated artificial sweeteners may cause headaches, etc. So I cut them out, because I had chronic headaches (gone now).
    While researching Aspartame, I found out about MSG and excitotoxins. If even a part of what I read is true, I didn't want that in my diet. So out went MSG.

I've long believed that artificial coloring affected children's moods and hyperactivity, and I'd already eliminated much of them once I had children. I decided to completely cut them out, because really...what's the point of having chemical coloring in one's food, particularly if it was going to cause my kids to bounce off the walls?

Along the way, I decided that preservatives were not necessary in my diet, and I chose to avoid meat and dairy from animals who had been fed antibiotics or which had been inhumanely treated.

Because of nitrites possible ties to cancer, I eliminated all cured meats, eating only uncured or salt cured products.

I watched Food, Inc., Supersize Me, and several documentaries on genetically modified organisms. So I consiously began watching for GMO's and avoiding those products. I do still eat some processed foods, but try to buy the organic versions as they will be chemical free, even if processed.

It's a slow process. Google and I are buddies, and I utilize it's scholar module frequently. I don't necessarily follow anyone's "plan" - I just try to live by my own knowledge and how putting that knowledge into practice makes me feel. I want the best for my children, and as long as they are minors and I pay for their food, they'll eat what I give them. And that means no McDonalds or Coke or Twinkies or Fruit Loops.

I could give you studies to back up my decisions, but you could probably find ones to refute them. You really have to do your own research and decide what works for YOU. I feel a thousand times better now than I did before I started, and I've lost a total of 43 pounds (15 when I quit smoking, and 28 this year). I can now run 2.5 miles when six months ago, I couldn't run next door. So my choices are working just fine for me.
  • jmtoast
    jmtoast Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    www.lylemcdonald.com if you like research based info on changing your bodycomp. Not really geared towards healthy eating.

Anyway, all diets plans are based upon one basic idea, eat less. Many use smoke and mirrors by limiting a certain macro (fat, carb, and etc.) but at the end of the day you are creating an energy deficit. Problem is people are trying to make a buck and in doing so they have to have re-invent the wheel. of course it is helpful if they can create some zealots that will sell their product for them.