Gastric band v gastric bypass - your thoughts

Options
1234568»

Replies

• janf15
    janf15 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I agree with Jeff - you don't need either one of them. One of the places I have seen a lot of good information is www.fat2fitradio.com. The hosts use sound science to argue their points (and they can be funny too). It is a pod cast, and I will highly recommend it to anyone who wants to change their lifestyle. They use the philosophy 'live like the person you want to be'.

And I want to remind you of a quote I found in Chris 'macca' Mccormack's book 'you are the CEO of your one person company'.
  • angelswank
    angelswank Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    thats exactly why i want this - to kick start my weightloss.

i get so far and then i just sabotage my own efforts. ive had years and years of councilling, CBT, etc and everyone has come to the conclusion that i am just addicted to eating. wish i was addicted to eating carrots or lettuce! :/ i'm not taking this lightly, this is really harrowing for me. i really really want to do it on my own. i manage a couple of days and then i fall off. ive just come back from a 5 mile walk which i'm trying to do 3 times a week. cant walk fast as i have a toddler but i'm out walking slowly for 3 hours every other day. i feel like i'm fighting a losing battle. blah blah blah. it's not costing me anything. its being done on the NHS which yes you can say is a waste of money when it could be spent on more serious operations but i dont make the rules. my head is awash with many thoughts.

I'm sorry to say that if you can't control it now the surgury isn't going to magically make you be able to control it. You have to find the willpower to control the urge to eat unhealthy either way.
  • japruzze
    japruzze Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    From what I've read in this post and in others, this isn't the place to come for support if you are considering or have recently had WLS. check out thinnertimes.com. You'll find support and answers there.
  • RAFValentina
    RAFValentina Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    Don't bother with either, the risks are high and you're not at a last resort. The surgery should ALWAYS be as a last resort. You can get your weight down through diet and exercise. Get off the computer NOW and get moving! you can do it!
  • PandorasMom
    Options
    Wow. Lots of judgemental people on here. I always say "sooner or later, you play all the roles". Or a family member will. We are all here to support one another, no?

I did lose 80# on my own and got stuck and fluctuated within a 20# range. After years of consideration I began to honeslty persue the band option. I had specific reasons for the band. I am a HCP and have worked in 2 Major Level 1 Trauma Centers/ University Hospitals. I have seen numerous deadly complications from the Gastric Bypass. I had a friend die as a result as well. My physian (also at a Center of Excellence) asked why I chose the band and I told him, the malabsorbtion scares me, and have seen numerous complicaitons, not only surgical but related to the malutrition that follows. He did remind me surgical complications often result from the surgeon performing the surgery- and I agree immensely. A lot of the surgical complications I saw were from one particular surgeon. Also, I did inherit my mothers uncanny ability to get rare illnesses/complications. And I saw the band as one that would have fewer, and the reversability was appealing. I am using it as a tool to continue the weight loss. What I think a lot of people think is that it is a quick fix. It is not. A lot of work goes into this. Work that I put in before with limited success that was not consistant, and ultimately unhealthy (yo-yo dieting is as unhealthy as maintaining obesity). I chose to halt the process that would kill me. It truly IS life or death for me. There is a reason it is called MORBID obesity. Also in my daily work I see people die as a result of their obesity. If it were just 20# overweight then yes simple hard work could likely eliminate the pounds. If it were that simple this board/app wouldnt exist.
  • cherbapp
    cherbapp Posts: 322
    Options
    I had gastric bypass 9 years ago...out-ate it. Surgery can make you eat less for a time, but it will not change what you eat, what you like, why you eat or your exercise (or lack of) habits.

I had no complications with the laparoscopic bypass, lost 110 pounds, gained 55 back. Then I realized it was time to fix me, not my stomach.

That being said, the surgery gave me a head start, although I do wish I had been honest with myself before doing that to my body. I now know I could have done it without resorting to the knife.