Fast Food is the Devil.

Options
Get it through your head that FAST FOOD IS NOT YOUR FRIEND.

It's not an easy lesson to learn, obviously. But fried chicken, bacon cheeseburgers, pizza, and curly fries are out to kill you. Seriously. They hold meetings once a month and discuss different ways to tempt us, pretend to be our best friend, and then turn around and stab us in the back. Or stomach.

I don't know how many forum posts I've read that say, "Help me... My diet isn't working." Yes, MFP is a fantastic tool to count your calories, but MFP also has other awesome fantasic tools as well: It helps keep track of fat, carbs, and (*gasp*) sodium!!!!

I am NOT perfect. Take a look at my diary. I have a Dr. Pepper for breakfast everyday. I have a very serious addiction to sugar. It's not my fault. It developed when I was pregnant with my son, and while the sickness and heartburn packed up and left when he was born, my sweet tooth stuck around.

I also love Subway. Have you checked out the sodium content on your favorite sandwich? Ouch!! I don't think there is anything wrong with giving in to the things you love, but if it's sabbatoging your health and weight loss... give it up! My body loves me and allows me to have a DP every day without punishing me too much. I can't run as fast as I could if I stopped drinking it. My workouts would be more productive if I just drank water, but those are sacrifices I make for the yummy deliciousness of a sugary carbonated drink.

What was I saying? Oh yeah... Fast food hates you. I know it gets frustrating when you feel like you're working your butt off but the butt's still there. However, many times, if you'll take a look at your own diary, you can find the problem. If you're eating fast food every day, then maybe you shouldn't. Staying uner your calories? Awesome! But there is a lot more to your health than a calorie, and the kinds of foods you put into your body will affect your weight loss journey.

Remember that every. single. person. is different. You can't look into someone else's food diary, eat exactly what they eat, and expect the same results. Do what works for you! Your health is just as imporant as your outside appearance. Put things into your body that make it happy AND healthy =)

I'm sorry for the rant. I just get very frustrated when people claim that they're doing everything they can to lose the weight, but then you look at their diary, and they've had Taco Bell, Pizza Hut, and McDonald's for almost all their meals for the past week.

:flowerforyou:

Replies

• cyntia
    cyntia Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    To get over the fast food epidemic go watch the movie "Food Inc" and "Supersize Me" you will never want to eat fast food again and definitely think twice about what you put in your body.
  • bachooka
    bachooka Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    I watched super size me... I ate mcdonalds afterwards... I love that stuff... moderation is key.
  • lizsmith1976
    lizsmith1976 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I couldn't agree more. Sodium makes you retain water, affects so much in your body, and is horrible for anyone overweight who already may have blood pressure issues. It is not just fast food though. Check out the nutrition information for any large chain restaurant and is shocking!

I could not live without my diet mountain dew. I have one with almost every meal. Bad, I know, but worth it :tongue:
  • asyouseefit
    asyouseefit Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    I agree with bachooka. Eating greasy at mcdonald's every now and then (every 2 months, let's say) isn't going to kill you. Of course, if you hit the burger joint several days a wekk, then you have a problem!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    The devil can only kill you if you visit him. Just sayin ...

I don't understand the fascination with fast food. Even if it were healthy, it tastes like crap and it's expensive!
  • _GlaDOS_
    _GlaDOS_ Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    It looks to me like you should be taking your own advice here.

And I love how you think your "sugar addiction" is "not your fault". Classic.
  • Soccer_chick916
    Soccer_chick916 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I watched super size me... I ate mcdonalds afterwards... I love that stuff... moderation is key.

agreed... How many people swear off fast food, but at some point in their life go back to eating it. If you live in the U.S. it is th convenience that is the most appealing, not the nutrition. I wont say I will never eat fast food or label it the devil. I will say how ever that it is not good for you and okay only in moderation.
  • sldavis73
    Options
    Good Post!!! I think we all tell ourselves "well as long as I don't go over my calories" that it's ok! When it's not. Our bodies don't function to there maximum ability with all that fat and grease put in them all the time!!

It takes preperation, planning and a lot of will power to stay out of those places but it can be done!

Good Luck :)
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,342 Member
    Options
    How can you say such things about Arby's curly fries. God obviously made those. But seriously yeah fast food should be a treat you indulge in once in a while. It tastes better that way. Have it everyday and you just feel crappy, look crappy and it doesn't taste nearly as good.
  • charmainecurrie
    Options
    well said
    there was just a post not long ago about not understanding why they can loose weight
    all they had was fast food
  • suzieduh
    suzieduh Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    It looks to me like you should be taking your own advice here.

And I love how you think your "sugar addiction" is "not your fault". Classic.

this. plus if you ban yourself from foods, you will develop an overwhelming urge to eat them!!!
  • haeden
    haeden Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    plus it makes u bloated and gassy :) no fun.But dang it, it sure is good! but yes i agree
  • LATeagno
    LATeagno Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    My body functions perfectly well with lots of yummy, natural fats in it. That is, in place of carbs, though.

I eat the grilled chicken from KFC about once a month and that's about it in re: fast food, though. And yes, the sodium IS killer.
  • saintspoon
    saintspoon Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    i HAVE TO AGREE.... Supersize me actually made me crave McDonalds.. that's no joke at all. But yes moderation is key :) But remember that these places have options... a salad from mcd's or a chillie from wendy's is not comparable to a bacon double delux combo :)
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    My body functions perfectly well with lots of yummy, natural fats in it. That is, in place of carbs, though.

I eat the grilled chicken from KFC about once a month and that's about it in re: fast food, though. And yes, the sodium IS killer.

There aren't a lot of "healthy natural fats" to be found in fast food.
  • ccarpe
    ccarpe Posts: 118
    Options
    Agree! Completely! Soccer season is here and I have been a soccer mom for the last 16 years.....gasp.....I am almost dreading this, my sons senior year (our youngest) but I am dreading the part where we all stop at a Burger King, McD's or Wendy's after the games. My strategy is to pack more snacks with my lunch, like yogurt, fruits and nuts, and hopefully just enjoy the fellowship at those stops. Hope I can maintain.
  • GG70
    GG70 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    3 words: EAT WHOLE FOODS!
  • beancurdie
    beancurdie Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Just to play devil's advocate, not all people logging fast food are actually eating fast food. I make my own chili but I log it as a Wendy's large chili because I'm too lazy to input my chili recipe into MFP. Same thing when I grab a burger at my local diner. I end up logging at as a Five Guys burger, because it can't be any worse. :wink:
  • Sandyslosenit
    Sandyslosenit Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Do to my job I eat fast food a lot !!! The key is to know where your going and plan ahead. Most restaurants are in the mfp database and most have healthy choices. Yes the sodium is high , so plan for that. I allways order w 32oz. water with my meal and then take a re-fill to go. I only log half the water ( 32oz. instead of 64oz. ) and that helps flush out the sodium. You can eat out and still eat smart.