Fast Food is the Devil.

Options

Replies

• slimdownspicey
    slimdownspicey Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I totally agree! And on those days I don't lose weight, I generally know why - it was that pizza I had when I 5 drinks deep or the nachos I ordered at the bar. But c'mon, if you're eating McDonalds and other fast food all the time of course you won't lose!

That being said, it's astonishing how much buying a fast, healthy meal can be. I got a low carb chicken fajita wrap with 2 sides of steamed spinach from a fast food place that only has non-fried, healthy, foods. While my lunch was under 500 cals, about 15g fiber, and under 1,000 grams of sodium (which I think is good for fast food) it cost me $13! Granted I live in NYC but the McDonalds near my office sells combo meals for $7. While I suck it up and spend the extra money it is really disturbing when you think about how many people can't afford to when they are out for a quick meal.
  • RMinVA
    RMinVA Posts: 1,085 Member
    Options
    I don't think "banning" fast foods leads to any further urge to eat them. I gave up all the big burger joints almost 25 years ago. Taco Bell was a non issue since I never ate there anyway. And I gave them all up because I thought they tasted like crap. Every couple of years I would have something and be quickly reminded why I gave it up. But then I discovered 5 Guys...:-) But since I pretty much gave up beef over 3 years ago, I haven't had one of them either.

That being said I will do the occasional Chipotle or Panera or maybe even a sub, but the only reason we go there is that's what hubby wants. And more often that not, I just get something to drink these days while he eats. Or he just picks up something for himself while he is out.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Agree! Completely! Soccer season is here and I have been a soccer mom for the last 16 years.....gasp.....I am almost dreading this, my sons senior year (our youngest) but I am dreading the part where we all stop at a Burger King, McD's or Wendy's after the games. My strategy is to pack more snacks with my lunch, like yogurt, fruits and nuts, and hopefully just enjoy the fellowship at those stops. Hope I can maintain.

Why not just stop somewhere that has healthier food? Why teach your children to eat junk food?
  • avsingleton
    avsingleton Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    The devil can only kill you if you visit him. Just sayin ...

I don't understand the fascination with fast food. Even if it were healthy, it tastes like crap and it's expensive!

i couldn't agree more...what's the big deal about that ole nasty fast food? not only is it nasty, but it is probably unsanitary as well. if u eat healthy for 30 days and go back to fast food, u'll see the difference...the fast food will make u sick. we've been brain washed into thinking that stuff is good.

8450787.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • shabydonner
    shabydonner Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    To get over the fast food epidemic go watch the movie "Food Inc" and "Supersize Me" you will never want to eat fast food again and definitely think twice about what you put in your body.

Seen both, and yes its disgusting but I can still enjoy a good cheeseburger without flash backs. I just choose not to most of the time. I do agree that most fast food is evil but I have also found places that offer better options (chick fil a being one of them) and to keep myself going it is worth a moderate slow down once and a while. I can't always plan for a quick trip out that happened to fall right at lunch time, or being out way longer then I intended to and being so hungry I could eat a horse. Sometimes a drive through is the difference between eating a little less healthy or getting home and eating like a ravenous dog completely undoing my day. Like you said, everyone is different and for me, throwing the drive through option out all together just wouldn't work.
  • DestinyDarbi
    DestinyDarbi Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    It looks to me like you should be taking your own advice here.

And I love how you think your "sugar addiction" is "not your fault". Classic.

haha I was being sarcastic about my sugar addiction, Silly! And my only advice is that if you're eating fast food, and not getting the results you want, then you need to alter your food choices! I'm not perfect by no means! I just know what works for me! I love Subway.. and I eat it sometimes.. Mmmmm! But I'm at my goal weight, and I know what works for me (finally!!) :flowerforyou:
  • iAMaPhoenix
    iAMaPhoenix Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options

I don't understand the fascination with fast food. Even if it were healthy, it tastes like crap and it's expensive!

Where do you shop for fast food? I find that for $3.21, I can load up on a McChicken sandwich, small fries, and a value coke. If I can scrape around, I can also get three oatmeal raisin or chocolate chip cookies for another 4 quarters and 7 cents. 2.5 million calories later, and I am full. And believe me when I tell you, it is the food of the gods when it comes to taste. Where can I buy a healthy salad with protein for less than 7 dollars? Now it is not good for you, but snatching a few fries from my son's plate every now and then is not gonna clog my arteries with gunk. Everything in moderation, and if you are ever low on money, get a Buck Double from BK, but you will just have to run the entire length of Route 66 to work it off.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I watched super size me... I ate mcdonalds afterwards... I love that stuff... moderation is key.

This.

But I haven't had McDonald's, Wendy's or BK (or any of those) in years. Mostly because nothing there appeals to me anymore.

I do still have my pizza and subs every once in a while, though.
  • bcattoes
    Options

Where do you shop for fast food? I find that for $3.21, I can load up on a McChicken sandwich, small fries, and a value coke. If I can scrape around, I can also get three oatmeal raisin or chocolate chip cookies for another 4 quarters and 7 cents. 2.5 million calories later, and I am full. And believe me when I tell you, it is the food of the gods when it comes to taste. Where can I buy a healthy salad with protein for less than 7 dollars? Now it is not good for you, but snatching a few fries from my son's plate every now and then is not gonna clog my arteries with gunk. Everything in moderation, and if you are ever low on money, get a Buck Double from BK, but you will just have to run the entire length of Route 66 to work it off.

If you want a salad you can buy those prepackaged salads with chicken and dressing included at the grocery store for like $3.99. Or you could buy something other than salad. You could buy a bag of brown rice, a bag of dried beans, a couple of carrots and an onion for less than $7.00 and eat for several days. You could buy just about any vegetable and a chicken breast for less than $7,00. You could buy a can of tuna, an onion, some lettuce and a low carb wrap for less than $7.00. There are TONS of healthy delicious meals you can prepare for less than $7.00.

$7.00 per meal, really?? That's $21 a day for food if you ate 3 meals a day. That's $630 a month! I don't spend that at the grocery store on food for myself and my husband even including wine and beer. And we eat food that is a lot tastier than McD, BK or Taco Bell for sure!
  • bachooka
    bachooka Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    I agree with bachooka. Eating greasy at mcdonald's every now and then (every 2 months, let's say) isn't going to kill you. Of course, if you hit the burger joint several days a wekk, then you have a problem!

Dieticians and Nurtritionists recommend no more than once every two weeks. So on payday have a treat and no other times. I wish that I could actually make myself stick to this... :D
  • bachooka
    bachooka Posts: 719 Member
    Options

If you want a salad you can buy those prepackaged salads with chicken and dressing included at the grocery store for like $3.99. Or you could buy something other than salad. You could buy a bag of brown rice, a bag of dried beans, a couple of carrots and an onion for less than $7.00 and eat for several days. You could buy just about any vegetable and a chicken breast for less than $7,00. You could buy a can of tuna, an onion, some lettuce and a low carb wrap for less than $7.00. There are TONS of healthy delicious meals you can prepare for less than $7.00.

$7.00 per meal, really?? That's $21 a day for food if you ate 3 meals a day. That's $630 a month! I don't spend that at the grocery store on food for myself and my husband even including wine and beer. And we eat food that is a lot tastier than McD, BK or Taco Bell for sure!

I feed my kids and hubby (with left overs) for 120$ a week or so. less if we are having financial trouble. a trip to mcdonalds costs my family almost fourty dollars. So it is definately not money saving!
  • lclarkjr
    lclarkjr Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Oh man I ate some fried chicken on Labor Day and it was delicious. I haven't had fried chicken in at least half a year. No point to this comment really. Just the OP mentioned fried chicken and it brought back some delicious memories from a few days ago...
  • iAMaPhoenix
    iAMaPhoenix Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options

I feed my kids and hubby (with left overs) for 120$ a week or so. less if we are having financial trouble. a trip to mcdonalds costs my family almost fourty dollars. So it is definately not money saving!

Calm down ladies... I am just saying that I don't like the all inclusive statement that Fast food is the devil and that it is expensive. I find fast food to be quite cheap, though very unhealthy. I do thank you however for agreeing with me that it is twice as expensive to eat healthy than to eat junk food.
  • mimiswoboda
    Options
    Oh man I ate some fried chicken on Labor Day and it was delicious. I haven't had fried chicken in at least half a year. No point to this comment really. Just the OP mentioned fried chicken and it brought back some delicious memories from a few days ago...

This was my favorite post.
  • exacerbe
    exacerbe Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    I can't quit Chick-Fil-A -- not that I can't... I just won't. I think everything is fine in moderation =) well... not everything. If you put a triple cheese burger in front of me... I wouldn't eat it. (personal preference though).
  • Syreeta6
    Syreeta6 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    How can you say such things about Arby's curly fries. God obviously made those. But seriously yeah fast food should be a treat you indulge in once in a while. It tastes better that way. Have it everyday and you just feel crappy, look crappy and it doesn't taste nearly as good.

lmbo
  • Syreeta6
    Syreeta6 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I can't quit Chick-Fil-A -- not that I can't... I just won't. I think everything is fine in moderation =) well... not everything. If you put a triple cheese burger in front of me... I wouldn't eat it. (personal preference though).

Me either, I got my free coupon for tomorrow! LOL
  • ignatiusreilly
    ignatiusreilly Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    To get over the fast food epidemic go watch the movie "Food Inc" and "Supersize Me" you will never want to eat fast food again and definitely think twice about what you put in your body.

Also, read "The Omnivore's Dilemma" -- very well written and very, very informative.
  • bcattoes
    Options

Also, read "The Omnivore's Dilemma" -- very well written and very, very informative.

Robin Cook's "Toxin" put me off ground meat for more than 2 years. I still rarely order it out and will send it back if it's not well done.