Shampoo.

Options
Pretty random, but here goes it. Being on a horrible budget, I used this HORRIBLE shampoo and conditioner and now my hair is not as soft or smooth as it used to be. I got some samples in the mail and I am trying them out to see which might work best. Within the first use of Root Awakening by John Frieda, my hair was transformed. It is ultra soft and the smell stays with the hair, even after straightening it.

My question for you is, do you have any special kind of shampoo and conditioner that you use? Which ones do you avoid? I really want my super soft and smooth hair back, so it'd be nice to have some input on that too. Thanks!

Replies

• christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,064 Member
    Options
    That's funny you posted this just now - today, in Prevention magazine, I was reading that doing conditioner and then shampoo actually makes your hair look better...so I just tried it after I got home from the gym.
    But anyway...Pantene! My favorite!
  • YukonJoy
    YukonJoy Posts: 1,279 Member
    Options
    I have curly hair so I am a hair product snob. (It is straightened in my picture). I only use salon products. Right now I am using Joico K-Pax.

I'm a product *kitten* and I never love anything enough to not change it to something else every 3 months. My bathroom cupboard is stuffed with half full bottles - mostly styling products. lol!! :blushing:
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    I just get stuck with whatever stuff my wife buys and later decides she doesn't like. Since I have hardly any hair, each bottle lasts me forever. Sometimes i go for several months smelling like a coconut.

* this was the first time I got to use the phrase "my wife" on MFP. That was fun!
  • Scoochie1
    Scoochie1 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Dove shampoo and conditioner is pretty good.
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options
    * this was the first time I got to use the phrase "my wife" on MFP. That was fun!

**SQUEEEE**
  • FitnessElle
    Options
    I flippin' LOVE TIGI Bed Head hair products. They're all really fantastic and smell amazingly delicious. Since I have curly hair, I have to be very careful with what I use. I can easily look like I stuck my hair in the electrical socket if I use the wrong product. ;)
  • YukonJoy
    Options

**SQUEEEE**

Bwahahaha!!! My sister says "SQUEEEE!" all the time. I haven't seen her in forever! Thanks for reminding me :happy:
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    Cut back on how often you shampoo! I only shampoo my hair once a week. I bought a nice, salon brand, and it's going to last a long time and end up being less of an expense because of how infrequently I shampoo. Also, my hair is growing well, it's stronger, has loads of body, and doesn't look all crinkly and nasty.

I swear it works. For everyone. It's taken me like four months to get it right (I had to train my hair to stop producing so much oils trying to make up for all of the shampooing I was doing), but it's so worth it.
  • YukonJoy
    Options
    Cut back on how often you shampoo! I only shampoo my hair once a week. I bought a nice, salon brand, and it's going to last a long time and end up being less of an expense because of how infrequently I shampoo. Also, my hair is growing well, it's stronger, has loads of body, and doesn't look all crinkly and nasty.

I swear it works. For everyone. It's taken me like four months to get it right (I had to train my hair to stop producing so much oils trying to make up for all of the shampooing I was doing), but it's so worth it.

That's the truth. Especially for us curly-haired ladies. I only shampoo twice a week and I use head and shoulders. (My scalp is seriously screwed from all the colouring)
  • JE55Y
    JE55Y Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I use John Freda Brilliant Brunette liquid Shine shampoo and conditioner.

Makes my hair soft and smell lovely :)

Expensive though :(
  • KayteeBear
    KayteeBear Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    I don't use shampoo anymore. It made my hair very staticy and dry. I now only use conditioner to wash my hair in which I use really cheap brands...Suave...Salle...something from Dollarama...those are usually it. My hair is always so incredibly soft now and shiny. :)
  • YukonJoy
    Options
    Oh oh I forgot!! After my shower I use my regular conditioner as a leave in. Just comb in about a dime sized amount (for this hair). It works like a charm! And it doesn't weigh your hair down.

Also I sleep on a silk or satin pillow case, but that is because my hair is curly and I don't want it tied in a zillion knots when I wake up.
  • katharos3
    katharos3 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I love John Freida products! I'm currently using the Brilliant Brunette shampoo and conditioner. Oh, and I use Artec color depositing shampoo to keep my red hair, well red. I wish they would bring back the John Freida Reds collection though. I loved the way it smelled. My hair is just as soft and shiny with the Brunette one, but I miss the smell of the Red shampoo. :)
  • JMaeMyers
    JMaeMyers Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I live by head and shoulders and I love all the different ones they have. :)
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    I smooth conditioner on the ends of my hair then take a tiny, tiny bit of shampoo and do just the area around the scalp. I rinse it out and sometimes will add a tiny bit more conditioner to the ends but usually I just leave it as is. Once a week I'll put coconut oil in it and let that sit awhile before cleansing just the scalp area. My daughter (who has extremely curly hair) just rinses her scalp and never uses shampoo. She has beautiful, non frizzy curly hair (and no she doesn't smell bad. ) ;)
  • poisongirl1
    poisongirl1 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I usually use moisture recovery by Joico. I buy it from Winners, so sometimes they don't have it, in that case I just buy some other random brand that looks/smells nice.
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    For me, this depends heavily on my hormones. I used to use Dove Cool Moisture, and it did great things for my hair. Then, over the summer, something changed within me and my hair started frizzing out.

Now I use Suave Professionals Rosemary and Mint. It smells just like it sounds, which I don't really care for, but it makes my hair soft and smooth.

You just have to read the labels and see what the shampoo and conditioner are made of. If something isn't working for you, try a product with different ingredients.
  • channa007
    channa007 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Hands down Kérastase by Loreal is the best. That's what my wife uses. She also uses their hair serum and flat irons it. Always silky smooth and straight.
  • sinclare
    sinclare Posts: 369 Member
    Options

I am working on this.

In the meantime, I only wash 1/2 my hair. I like the puffiness from when it's really clean, so I just wash the front part, and keep up the rest in the back. Then I add a leave in conditioner or oil on the ends afterwards. I condition it like once/week--sometimes twice--Check out Enjoli Hair Masque. Expensive but it is reallllly nice :)
  • sunsetwest
    sunsetwest Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    i agree with the less frequent wet shampooing. suave makes a fantastic dry shampoo that smells nice, too, and it's under 3 bucks a bottle. organix is a great line of products for wet shampoo/conditioner and styling.