Stinky Pits

Options
13»

Replies

• rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Have you ever though that also it might be a religious reason they don't wear any? From example most Buddhist monks don't wear it because its classed as a luxury.

If deodorant is a luxury, then why the heck do they belong to a gym?!

Yoga classes?

I don't think I ever saw a Buddhist monk at a gym.

So not only do you show immaturity you want to try and attack me on a religious level as well ?

I find it offensive that you would think all Buddhist Monk's would practice yoga, another stereotypical idealogical view. Suppose cause I'm Scottish, I have ginger hair and wear a Skirt?

(I say skirt because thats another stereotypical view towards our national attire of the Kilt!)

Is this a serious post? Really?

I'm starting to think you're not even posting from this planet. Maybe people in your galaxy don't have the need for deoderant.
  • TluvK
    TluvK Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry. Bullying??? I'm not sure you can classify "thinking something someone is doing as unacceptable" as bullying. Now, if I were to openly make fun of or berate stinky people for being stinky (regardless of WHY they are stinky) then YES, that would make me a bully. I would never do that.

What I did here was express frustration anonymously on a website where there are many people who also frequent gyms and who may have, at one time, experienced the same frustration. For the people with medical conditions - I don't think it has ever escaped them that other people might smell their B.O. and be offended. That is something they have to deal with - much like it is for me when I have allergies and my eyelids look like I have a contagious disease - it's very embarrassing, but something that I deal with. Me pointing out that people with basic hygiene issues might try to do something about it for the sake of others, should in no way affect someone who clearly cannot do something about it. I've merely pointed something out that they are already aware of.

No biggie, but I do think you've hopped up on a moral high horse here. You're right; we are imperfect as people. I judge other people some times. I expect certain social norm behavior from people most of the time. I'm imperfect. Touche.
  • NemesisJRM
    NemesisJRM Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I didn't really see the point of your post...apart from a chance to have a go at a lady who may not even realise she is causing you such offence! As others have said, there could be any number of reasons why she smells. I think if you go to a public place like a gym, then you just have to put up with it. I'm sure she didn't knowingly annoy you.

Did you even read the full topic ? You have just said what my original post highlighted.

I only started having a go as you put, once the topic of conversation was directed toward my views and beliefs........ with the silly comments abouts neighbors stereo's and flatulence in elevators etc and even then I wouldn't class it having a go at anyone. I simply highlighted while there going on about this person having respect for them, they were clearly demonstrating none toward this person or there reasons for not wearing it.
  • TluvK
    TluvK Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I didn't really see the point of your post...apart from a chance to have a go at a lady who may not even realise she is causing you such offence! As others have said, there could be any number of reasons why she smells. I think if you go to a public place like a gym, then you just have to put up with it. I'm sure she didn't knowingly annoy you.

Did you even read the full topic ? You have just said what my original post highlighted.

I only started having a go as you put, once the topic of conversation was directed toward my views and beliefs........ with the silly comments abouts neighbors stereo's and flatulence in elevators etc and even then I wouldn't class it having a go at anyone. I simply highlighted while there going on about this person having respect for them, they were clearly demonstrating none toward this person or there reasons for not wearing it.

Pretty sure that post was for me, not you.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

I can only assume that you are a Buddhist based solely on your reaction to the mention of Buddhism. Before that, I had no clue you were Buddhist. And I didn't think accusing someone of practicing yoga was offensive, but I'll refrain from mentioning such a divisive subject in the future.

I have several friends who are Buddhists and they're far more concerned with the welfare of others than you seem to be.
  • Givemewings
    Givemewings Posts: 864 Member
    Options

Pretty sure that post was for me, not you.

Ermmm...yes it was.
  • Givemewings
    Givemewings Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry. Bullying??? I'm not sure you can classify "thinking something someone is doing as unacceptable" as bullying. Now, if I were to openly make fun of or berate stinky people for being stinky (regardless of WHY they are stinky) then YES, that would make me a bully. I would never do that.

What I did here was express frustration anonymously on a website where there are many people who also frequent gyms and who may have, at one time, experienced the same frustration. For the people with medical conditions - I don't think it has ever escaped them that other people might smell their B.O. and be offended. That is something they have to deal with - much like it is for me when I have allergies and my eyelids look like I have a contagious disease - it's very embarrassing, but something that I deal with. Me pointing out that people with basic hygiene issues might try to do something about it for the sake of others, should in no way affect someone who clearly cannot do something about it. I've merely pointed something out that they are already aware of.

No biggie, but I do think you've hopped up on a moral high horse here. You're right; we are imperfect as people. I judge other people some times. I expect certain social norm behavior from people most of the time. I'm imperfect. Touche.

Ok, ok, you might be right.. My bad.
  • shauna121211
    shauna121211 Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    Some people are just stinkier than others and not even deodorant can change that!
  • statia152
    Options
    My daughter struggled with really bad BO since she was 12! We tried everything, but the genes from her dad's side (my mother-in-law had the same problem) were just too powerful. She showered daily, used the new "clinical strength" stuff, washed with soap/water at school ... but she still smelled like a man! The only thing that works is a prescription antiperspirant from her doctor. Thank God! She was teased horribly, and after 4 years (senior in HS) the teasing has stopped. But yes, there are people out there who's personal hygiene is lacking.
  • aoede
    aoede Posts: 30 Member
    Options

"Just because someone can do something 'natural' like pass wind, yell, or pick their nose, doesn't mean they should. " Please show me where I said they should, I merely stated that if they so choose to do so, that is there right and people should respect that.

But you seem to be claiming that if they do perform the act, it is right/correct/acceptable. I am trying to say the opposite - Let me re-phrase that to clear up the misunderstanding: even if someone can do something, sometimes they shouldn't.

It might be the 'right' of someone to perform an act, but I do not have to respect that, or even tolerate it. If it impacts me negatively, I can tell them so. Just as the person has the right to do the thing, others also have the right to complain. I think looking at it as person a) has a right and person b) should respect it or not is the wrong way of looking at it. We all have rights, after all (the definition of such is also a matter of conjecture and discussion) and they are going to overlap. This is why I said that I aim for minimal impact. I know I have a 'right' to talk on the phone loudly, but I still don't do it, because it is rude, and I try to treat others in the way I would like to be treated.
    On the note of people walking around all day stinking of BO, is a different matter completely I'm talking of in the gym setting.
    Show compassions towards other and respect there choices, even if they don't agree with yours or the stigma of supposed modern day society!

I am not sure what your point is - at first you seemed to agree that BO all day and not at the gym is not acceptable, but then later said that we should respect people's choice not to wear deodorant. So what then, about the buddhist monk who persperates a lot and walks around all day smelling badly? Do you respect him, or not?
  • Eunified
    Options
    I almost never wear deodorant. Ever. And I rarely smell. That's not a "I don't smell myself because I'm used to my funk" thing. If I'm ever in doubt, I'll ask a friend/coworker/family to sniff me. It's never been me. Used to have to wear it all day every day when I was a teenager, but not any more.

I only wear deodorant/antiperspirant if it's really hot outside, and I know that I'm going to be sweaty all day. I don't go to a gym, but when I workout at home, I don't wear anything. Don't really stink afterwards. But I also shower within an hour of my workout so that I'm not covered in sweat all day.

It's not the sweat that makes you stink. Bacteria eat the sweat, and your BO is bacteria poop smell ... basically.

I Loveeeee you signature image!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • shauna121211
    shauna121211 Posts: 575 Member
    Options

Oh Goodness... sometimes I hate posting on these forums because someone always has a way of twisting your words and making you out to be a bad person who posted something highly offensive... blah blah blah.

Anyways... I totally feel ya... there were these young girls who obviously hadn't really been taught proper hygiene at my old gym that just smelled awful. It's not like I can do anything about the situation besides cringe and bear it, but damn, it made for an unpleasant workout.
  • NemesisJRM
    NemesisJRM Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    This is the last I'm posting on the subject because everything I say is being subjected to interrogation and tbh I care not what others think or understand on this matter anymore.

The point I was merely trying to make was:

Its a person choice to wear deodorant, you should not judge either way what there decision is. Some people medically, religiously or any other reason may not or cant wear deodorant and this is there choice, they should not be subjected to criticism or demeaning slander because it does not agree with what you deemed as "Normal Practice" or "Socially Acceptable"

In regards to the gym setting, I personally find it pointless as I have highlighted in a previous post, however personally I use deodorant as and when I see the need to.

Bullying is abusive treatment, the use of force or coercion to affect others. In other words calling someone "Stinky" or trying to make someone wear deodorant because you disagree with the reasons that they don't, or making someone conform to "socially acceptable practices". I mean can you even define "Normal" in this day and age ?

You find it offensive and rude when they don't wear it because you don't want to smell it, simple solution is move gym or location within your gym.

You want respect etc trying giving it to others and thinking well hang on, what reasons "could" they have for being like that, or smelling the way they do.

Trying looking inwards rather than judging a book by its cover, and see the person for who they are and not what is classed as acceptable within society. People have a tendency to take things at face value, for example the person in public shouting on the phone, how do you know the person on the other end isn't hard of hearing? or the person walking down the street cursing at every turn, how do you know the don't have Tourets?

This post is not directed at any singular person, neither was the bullying comment. Its was a generalization of the topic at hand which within there are some comments that would be deemed as bulling.

I know there are going to be people on here that don't agree with my views and will pick holes, and thats your choice and right, and yes ill respect that, however when you try to attack what I believe or try and make me look a foul to prove your own point then yes I will defend my statements.

in short "I agree to disagree"