Replies

• hamncheese67
    hamncheese67 Posts: 1,715 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting. I just made dinner for tonight. :smile:
  • solpwr
    solpwr Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    I like using the crock pot once the weather cools off. I have a ton of venison to use, this will be a great way to use it, just substitute for chicken.

Try doing taco shells my way sometime:
    I spray a corn tortilla both sides with Pam, and then either heat them on a cast iron skillet or my outdoor grill. Do one side, then fold into a shell and do the other side half at a time. They come out great, not super greasy but still have that homemade taco shell flavor and style. A lot less calories then deep fried.
  • Brook70
    Brook70 Posts: 164
    Options
    Bump
  • My1985Freckles
    My1985Freckles Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    bump

Try using a half wedge of laughing cow chipolte cheese instead of the sour cream and taco cheese. it'll save you a bunch of calories.
  • bachooka
    bachooka Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    What is the serving size?
  • Genie30
    Genie30 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • elfie9863
    Options
    What is Rotel?
  • solpwr
    solpwr Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Here's my chicken tacos, using grilled chicken. As you can tell I like veggies. I always use cabbage and feta cheese, a lot more flavorful. That's a roasted and half peeled jalapeno on the side.

6a45f452-1.jpg
  • hamncheese67
    Options
    What is Rotel?

Rotel is a brand for diced tomatoes with peppers (and other spices/seasonings). For a recipe like the one given, you can sub in a jar of salsa or a regular can of diced tomatoes and add some peppers (like jalepeno or serrano) of your own.
  • KeriA
    KeriA Posts: 3,275 Member
    Options
    , Thanks, OK now I have to find my crockpot
  • morkiemama
    morkiemama Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    Yummy thanks for sharing!!!!! :D
  • WalkTheTalk
    Options
    bump
  • Christinaray
    Christinaray Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Do you not need to put any water or anything for liquid...and do you unthaw chicken?
  • idauria
    idauria Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    Looks good! I made a salsa chicken in the crockpot once. The recipe is similar except I used salsa instead of the Rotel and I also threw in some corn.
  • lori8431
    Options
    Do you need any water to cover the dried beans or does the tomatoes take care of this..also wondering if canned black beans would work. Sounds delish.
  • kristinathenina
    Options
    bump
  • hamncheese67
    Options
    Do you need any water to cover the dried beans or does the tomatoes take care of this..also wondering if canned black beans would work. Sounds delish.

I did it with canned black beans. Worked great. Added chopped onions, red bell peppers, and serrano chile. Didn't have Rotel on hand or salsa so just used a can of regular diced tomatoes and added taco seasonings.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    Do you not need to put any water or anything for liquid...and do you unthaw chicken?

Check out the recipe again and you'll see that you soak the beans in water overnight, rinse and drain and then they go in the Crockpot. :flowerforyou:

When you work with dried beans you rinse the amount you'd like to use, sort through them so you don't toss in any stones or bits put them in a bowl or pot covered in water and leave them to soak overnight in the fridge. I rinse mine several times in between soaking and it's good to change the water each time doing this will keep gasses from building up.

Love love love soaking my Black (turtle) Beans for so many uses!

So no you won't need any more liquid to cook the beans than her recipe already shows. As already shared canned beans would work fine but the sodium in canned foods is a KILLER! So much more worth the time to start them from dried, but that's just me. I don't eat much food from a can because of that.

A few opinions on putting frozen chicken in the Crockpot, some say never, some say it doesn't matter.
    I prefer to use it out of the pkg. defrosted myself.

Gotta remember to pick up some dried beans from the Coop tomorrow in the bulk section, I realized I'm out.:sad:
  • carlynishere
    carlynishere Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    That looks delicious - will be trying this weekend!!
  • hadley0910
    hadley0910 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Sounds great!!