Crockpot Chicken Tacos

Options

Replies

• NeuroticVirgo
    NeuroticVirgo Posts: 3,671 Member
    Options
    Do you not need to put any water or anything for liquid...and do you unthaw chicken?

I didn't thaw the chicken. I just put it in frozen. Between the chicken and the Rotel Juice, I didn't need to add an water.
  • NeuroticVirgo
    Options
    Do you need any water to cover the dried beans or does the tomatoes take care of this..also wondering if canned black beans would work. Sounds delish.

I did it with canned black beans. Worked great. Added chopped onions, red bell peppers, and serrano chile. Didn't have Rotel on hand or salsa so just used a can of regular diced tomatoes and added taco seasonings.

That's basically it, lots of room for substitution. lol

If your trying to avoid sodium, I'd stick with dry beans. You do have to soak those in water the night before, then drain them the next morning before adding them into the crock pot.
  • jrhstarlight
    jrhstarlight Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    bump mmmmm
  • kristinathenina
    Options
    this is supposed to be HIGH for 8 hours?
  • Mrsmannix
    Mrsmannix Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Wow, that looks super good =) thank you!!!!
  • fendeb
    Options
    this sounds soooo good, nothing better than using a crock pot or a pressure cooker for cool & quick meals. This sounds really tasty, I will try it but will cut in half for just my husband & myself. Thanks for sharing!!
  • TrishaRN_74
    TrishaRN_74 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    :tongue: This sounds super yummy! I think I'll try it! We're supposed to have tacos on Monday night!
  • Cherilea
    Cherilea Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    *bump for later*
  • blueeyedangelar
    blueeyedangelar Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I made these for dinner tonight......Yummy!
  • NeuroticVirgo
    Options
    this is supposed to be HIGH for 8 hours?

Mine was. But I have an old crockpot. I guess it could vary depending on the brand/age of the crockpot.
  • NeuroticVirgo
    Options
    BTW...I just finished making enchiladas with some of the leftovers. YUMMY!
  • phy40
    phy40 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I can't wait to try this taco and its low in carbs. Thanks!
  • Imahottmess
    Options
    Yummo! Needed a new chicken recipe. Chicken gets kinda boring after awhile.
  • nannyx6
    nannyx6 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    bump ty
  • 3ball
    3ball Posts: 338
    Options
    nice
  • TrishaRN_74
    TrishaRN_74 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Making this tomorrow! I can't wait to try it!
  • Rebekah2918
    Rebekah2918 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    bump
  • laurad1406
    Options
    mmm bump! thanks for sharing!
  • solpwr
    solpwr Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    I adapted the recipe and made this on Sunday, it came out really well the way I made it:

I am calling this probably 16 servings, there was a lot of food!

Crockpot Venison Tacos

3 cups dried pinto beans (soaked overnight in 12 cups water, than rinsed EDITED TO ADD: and drained)

2.5 pounds of venison, course ground with no added fat or beef

Tomato chili sauce (2 14.5 oz cans diced tomatoes, 1 14.5 oz can tomato sauce, 1 medium sweet raw onion, 1 12 oz can Chipotle peppers in Adobo sauce, 2 Tsp cumin, all pureed together)

I cooked on Low in crockpot 8 hours, then on High for 2 hours with the lid off to reduce the liquid. I probably could have avoided the last step if I had left out the tomato sauce.

Once the Venison filling cooled, the liquid reabsorbed, and it had a very nice consistency and taste. Venison is incredibly lean. I still have 10 pounds of it and hunting season is fast approaching. If I didn't have it chicken breast would work perfectly. I would for sure throw the chicken in frozen. I would have done that with the venison, but I had to thaw it to run it through the food grinder.

It came out very spicy because of the whole can of chipotle peppers. I love it that way, and so does my daughter.

I froze 3/4 of the batch. 1/4 of the batch gave me about 4 servings (3 tacos or 2 small burritos being one serving).

I added raw jalapeno, tomato, onion, and cabbage, along with feta cheese and fresh avocado slices. No other sauces or creams were needed, at least for my pallet.
  • jgic2009
    jgic2009 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing!