"Rude" California peeps

Options
catshark209
catshark209 Posts: 1,133 Member
I vacationed in Las Vegas this summer and pretty much everywhere I went and showed my ID, I was told I wasn't acting like a typical California tourist.
A few people stated that we tended to be rude and overbearing. For those of you that do not live in California, is that really how we come across??

Replies

• Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    No.
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    It depends what part of Cali you're from I guess. I'm from Central Cali, we are pretty laid back here. When I've gone out of state, I also get that "You're not like other Cali folks" remark.
  • ChitownFoodie
    ChitownFoodie Posts: 1,562 Member
    Options
    You want honesty? I used to live in San Francisco and people would talk about me and say I was "jaded"...and that I was too "real" for them. I was never rude, but they all knew that I wasn't from there because I wouldn't fake it. LOL, I would always hear, "You must be from New York or Chicago!" So I moved back to Chicago....where i am allowed to be real!
  • Tuffjourney
    Options
    I hope not. I am never rude to anyone. This is so sad to hear.:sad:
  • cessnaholly
    cessnaholly Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    I'm from New England and I get that I'm a typical New Englander when I travel down south or our west. Is that a bad thing?
  • lauraashley614
    Options
    I don't live in California, but my parents moved out their with my younger siblings, and now as they are growing up, I can definitely say its a different demeanor that people from the Midwest, but not necessarily rude, maybe more confident to be outside of the norm (at least for the teenagers/young adults). And my parent's friends are nothing but nice (althougth they are also CA transplants from elsewhere)
  • TDGee
    TDGee Posts: 2,209 Member
    Options
    We don't ALL live in Brentwood and hang out with Paris or Charlie. I don't live 5 minutes from the beach OR Disneyland.
    I have noticed in my travels across the country, a definite difference in pace though. For as laid back and easy going as we are all portrayed to be, we tend to be in a bigger hurry than lots of the rest of the country.
  • VeganInTraining
    VeganInTraining Posts: 1,321 Member
    Options
    I have never heard people say that CA ppl are rude, can't drive sure, but not rude. People can always tell I'm from CA b/c i "look like you're from CA." Well thank you ma'am, I tend to think Californian's are pretty freakin hot!
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options
    From where in California? North and South might as well be in two different universes... I think that would make a difference.

It does crack me up when I visit family in the Midwest and people make fun of me for my accent. (What?)
  • JoniBologna
    JoniBologna Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    I was just visiting San Francisco from Colorado. We were eating at a little cafe where you ordered at the counter, and they brought you your food. At the end of the meal, I asked one of the employees where to put our dishes. She laughed and said, "Oh you're so cute. You're the first person to ever ask that." In Colorado, it is not uncommon to bus your own dishes at cafes and coffee shops. That said, I don't think Californians are "rude". However, what I have always thought is Californians are pretty fast paced and busy, much unlike Colorado. I attribute this to the expensive cost of living, and the need to work hard for the money. There is less time for the random conversation with a stranger or busing one's own table. Just my opinion.
  • rainunrefined
    rainunrefined Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    I don't think 'rude' is the proper word. Maybe more outspoken? But that isn't to say all Californians are that way. I would be more inclined to say that NY or Chicago folks seem to be more outspoken. Its all about culture and even stereotyping. I'm from the northwest living in the midwest and get stereotyped often. I must be a green tree hugger - when in fact I do have green tendencies but I was raised in a logging family. We didn't hug trees we chopped 'em down!
  • 0SimplymeStacyLea0
    Options
    Have only visited the San Fran area where I was born and don't ever recall any being rude. I love Cali :bigsmile:
  • aftergypsies
    aftergypsies Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I'm originally from the midwest and currently live in Northern Cali. I do not think people here are rude. I live in a small town though so maybe I'm just lucky but I don't get rude vibes from people when I go elsewhere in the state. I know some rude people in Southern Cali but those people are specific and probably not the norm.
  • kunibob
    kunibob Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    I know three Californians who have relocated here. One blends in perfectly and is a great fellow; very humble and nice. The other two WILL. NOT. STOP. talking about California. Apparently, EVERYTHING is better in California! Every day, there's something to gripe about that is better in California. Or they start name-dropping these little counties in California even though none of us have a clue what they're talking about, and laugh at us if we don't follow their references. It gets very annoying, very fast, especially as one of the gals has been here for four years already...not exactly a recent transplant.

I'm pretty sure the whole state can't be like that, can it?
  • catshark209
    catshark209 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    It depends what part of Cali you're from I guess. I'm from Central Cali, we are pretty laid back here. When I've gone out of state, I also get that "You're not like other Cali folks" remark.

From what I gathered from the Vegas natives, we tend to be demanding, rude and horrid. Ugh. I'm from Northern Cali...its a whole 'nother universe than SoCal.
    I love it here.
  • kaitimae
    kaitimae Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    I was just visiting San Francisco from Colorado. We were eating at a little cafe where you ordered at the counter, and they brought you your food. At the end of the meal, I asked one of the employees where to put our dishes. She laughed and said, "Oh you're so cute. You're the first person to ever ask that." In Colorado, it is not uncommon to bus your own dishes at cafes and coffee shops. That said, I don't think Californians are "rude". However, what I have always thought is Californians are pretty fast paced and busy, much unlike Colorado. I attribute this to the expensive cost of living, and the need to work hard for the money. There is less time for the random conversation with a stranger or busing one's own table. Just my opinion.

Haha, I *totally* would have assumed, and asked, the same thing about the dishes! MUST be a Colorado thing!
  • Panda_Jack
    Panda_Jack Posts: 829 Member
    Options
    I'm from So Cal and I'm an *kitten* :tongue:
  • bry_all01
    bry_all01 Posts: 3,100 Member
    Options
    I'm not from there, but my mom is and my cousin lives there. I went to San Bernardino (where my mom grew up) and Palm Springs (wher my uncle lived) with my family for my cousins wedding 10 years ago when I was pregnant and everyone was really nice.
  • JoniBologna
    JoniBologna Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    I know three Californians who have relocated here. One blends in perfectly and is a great fellow; very humble and nice. The other two WILL. NOT. STOP. talking about California. Apparently, EVERYTHING is better in California! Every day, there's something to gripe about that is better in California. Or they start name-dropping these little counties in California even though none of us have a clue what they're talking about, and laugh at us if we don't follow their references. It gets very annoying, very fast, especially as one of the gals has been here for four years already...not exactly a recent transplant.

I'm pretty sure the whole state can't be like that, can it?

I have met one person from SOCAL who is like that, but I pretty much just thought he was a d-bag, not everyone from there.
  • evilbanks
    Options
    Yeah, I'm guessing most states have their own stereotype, right? This phenomenon isn't exclusive to CA. I'm from UT so I must be an uptight Mormon w/ a bunch of wives.