"Rude" California peeps

Options

Replies

• sandrinamsilva
    sandrinamsilva Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Northern California here and I dont think we are rude at all. I think everywhere you go you'll find rude/nice people. But I have always thought of us as the sun shine state. Maybe they are just bitter because are weather is usually great. :drinker:
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options
    I was just visiting San Francisco from Colorado. We were eating at a little cafe where you ordered at the counter, and they brought you your food. At the end of the meal, I asked one of the employees where to put our dishes. She laughed and said, "Oh you're so cute. You're the first person to ever ask that." In Colorado, it is not uncommon to bus your own dishes at cafes and coffee shops. That said, I don't think Californians are "rude". However, what I have always thought is Californians are pretty fast paced and busy, much unlike Colorado. I attribute this to the expensive cost of living, and the need to work hard for the money. There is less time for the random conversation with a stranger or busing one's own table. Just my opinion.

Haha, I *totally* would have assumed, and asked, the same thing about the dishes! MUST be a Colorado thing!

I live in San Francisco right now and there are plenty of places where you bus your own dishes.
  • lakersfan4life
    lakersfan4life Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Apparently, EVERYTHING is better in California! Every day, there's something to gripe about that is better in California.

this sounds like most people ive met who are from New York............................. just sayin
  • sassyshook
    sassyshook Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I don't find California people to be rude, just odd people, like someone said before "ok with being different" . You can tell when someone is from the west. Now Rude comes from the northeast. My job requires me to call people all over the U.S. and the people from the North east are the most rude people I have ever come across. Sorry if your from there, and definately not saying every person from there is, but the majority I get to speak to and ever deal with are rude.
  • DizzieLittleLifter
    DizzieLittleLifter Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    WHA?!?!?! OK maybe *some* people can be like that but aren't they everywhere? I think us Californians are friendly. And yes, everything IS better here :wink:
  • boomboom011
    Options
    Every state has their STATE *kitten*. I think in general people are decent regardless of what state they come from. My experiences with people from CA have all been fine.
  • Crystalchaos72
    Options
    I am from new england and have lived in san diego......never had a problem with rudeness if I even paid attention......
  • 27strange
    27strange Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    Never found californians to be rude. They do seem to be more in a hurry than us Missouri folk. I travel to Cali about 2x a year on business, love it out there. You can tell the California transplants that move or retire to mid-Missouri...they drive tiny hybrids but live in 4,000sq ft behemoth homes! haha :laugh:
  • VelvetKey
    VelvetKey Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Once upon a time, I had a friend in college who was from Cali...and yes, she was rude. Not in a purposeful way, I suppose, but she was just plain bossy.

However, I attributed that to being raised as the only daughter in a rich family, NOT to where she was from.

I mean, I'm originally from New York, and I know I come off as distant...because these darn southerners down here are always smiling and cheerful and where I'm from that means they're doing drugs!

:tongue:
  • curryinahurry
    curryinahurry Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    cali people are the *kitten*
  • i_love_vinegar
    i_love_vinegar Posts: 2,092 Member
    Options
    I'm from norcal, and I've never received that comment ^.^ But when I visit family in New York, I feel there are a lot of rude ppl. I think California has some of the nicest people, so maybe its cultural :D

ps: Ive noticed that those of us who live nearer to the coast tend to be FAR from outspoken in many ways...maybe too polite sometimes. Further inland you go, the more abrupt people are in my experience. I've always seen ppl from the east coast to be abrupt lol xD
  • i_love_vinegar
    i_love_vinegar Posts: 2,092 Member
    Options
    I was just visiting San Francisco from Colorado. We were eating at a little cafe where you ordered at the counter, and they brought you your food. At the end of the meal, I asked one of the employees where to put our dishes. She laughed and said, "Oh you're so cute. You're the first person to ever ask that." In Colorado, it is not uncommon to bus your own dishes at cafes and coffee shops. That said, I don't think Californians are "rude". However, what I have always thought is Californians are pretty fast paced and busy, much unlike Colorado. I attribute this to the expensive cost of living, and the need to work hard for the money. There is less time for the random conversation with a stranger or busing one's own table. Just my opinion.

Haha, I *totally* would have assumed, and asked, the same thing about the dishes! MUST be a Colorado thing!

I live in San Francisco right now and there are plenty of places where you bus your own dishes.
    I live in a tourist town near S.F. and its not uncommon to bus our own dishes either. That was sweet of you to ask ^.^ I usually look around if I am unfamiliar with the place and if I don't see somewhere to bus my own dishes, I just leave xD
  • rainunrefined
    rainunrefined Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    Once upon a time, I had a friend in college who was from Cali...and yes, she was rude. Not in a purposeful way, I suppose, but she was just plain bossy.

However, I attributed that to being raised as the only daughter in a rich family, NOT to where she was from.

I mean, I'm originally from New York, and I know I come off as distant...because these darn southerners down here are always smiling and cheerful and where I'm from that means they're doing drugs!

:tongue:

LMAO where I'm from the distant edgy people are the ones doing drugs. Different cultures, different drugs!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options
    From the Bay Area and I don't think we're rude. We just don't happen to lay down when our rights may be getting violated. I'm sure people may think we're weird and outspoken, but let's face it without some of the antics of the "Bezerkleys" rights could be less for minorities and immigrants.
  • LisaKyle11
    LisaKyle11 Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    i am a northern California native and have never been called 'rude'....well, at least not very many times ;-). after traveling and living in different states, i honestly do not see Californians as a whole rude. depends on the individual not the state.
  • Bringerofrain
    Bringerofrain Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Think of California as a Huge Melting pot, very diverse people and cultures here. I live in the Northern Central Delta region Which is worlds away from people in the bay area, coastal, Southern, Northern & Mountainous areas of the state. For the most part Californians are pretty pleasent. The younger crowd can get to being rude at times but they just don't know any better and you can find that anywhere. Our weather & seasons are nice! Except when it's 100+ for days on end it can wear on you lol I do a lot of hiking & have met lots of very nice, friendly and helpful people on my travels & even then I still get the "You aren't from around here are ya?"(in a nice way of course) even in my own state! ;)
  • catshark209
    catshark209 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Gotta love stereotypes! I'm from the San Joaquin Valley and its assumed we're all ghetto or hicks here. Good times. I met a guy from the South that moved here to be close to family and he said he couldn't get over how we won't say hi to strangers...like hell no..how do I know I ain't saying hi to some pervert!
    When I go to SF I do notice that tourists from the Mid West are the most considerate. Its the European tourists that make me want to pull my hair.
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
    Options
    Grew up in California. OC area and San Joaquin Valley. Loved the people there.

I'm in the Pacific Northwest and I must admit that I really like the vibe here. But, when I first moved up from California, I got some *kitten* from people here that didn't like Californians relocating to Oregon.

Screw 'em.
  • VeganInTraining
    VeganInTraining Posts: 1,321 Member
    Options
    I know three Californians who have relocated here. One blends in perfectly and is a great fellow; very humble and nice. The other two WILL. NOT. STOP. talking about California. Apparently, EVERYTHING is better in California! Every day, there's something to gripe about that is better in California. Or they start name-dropping these little counties in California even though none of us have a clue what they're talking about, and laugh at us if we don't follow their references. It gets very annoying, very fast, especially as one of the gals has been here for four years already...not exactly a recent transplant.

I'm pretty sure the whole state can't be like that, can it?

Everything IS better in California, the weather, the waves, the beach...should I go on? I seriously had to look at your profile again to see if you work with me! One of the guys I work with is also from CA and he and I are always talking about how CA is better than NJ. But then again, this is New Jersey, just about ANYWHERE is better than Jersey! I am more than willing to admit that there are things that other states have to offer that CA has nothing on...such as....um......uh.....Rita's Water Ice, we don't have anything like that in CA. Oh and we don't have New Orleans and I am in love with New Orleans.
  • VeganInTraining
    VeganInTraining Posts: 1,321 Member
    Options
    I'm from So Cal and I'm an *kitten* :tongue:

HAHA I was going to say that they think everyone from CA is rude because they are used to dealing with people from Southern CA but those of us from Northern CA are not rude, but I didn't want to offend. Thanks for answering that for me ;)