Cardio for weight loss is a waste of time??

Options

Replies

• robinso5
    robinso5 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    i think cardio is important on its own until u get to a weight u are comfortable with and then u start building muscle to tone up. its not fun to build muscle under fat.

Don't worry about building muscle under fat, it will not happen if you are in a caloric deficit, all the strength training will do is ensure you don't lose the muscle you do have, and help you become stronger. muscle needs a caloric surplus to actually increase, unless you are new to lifting you may gain 2-3 pounds of muscle even in a caloric deficit (beginners gains)

okay Eric i have a question for you then. My thighs, buttox and arms are tight, i mean i have defined muscle, and i have been told that i have a layer of fat over my abs but my abs are most definitely there. i can ffell them and my son and hubby can too. I do heavy lifting and i do HIIT training. I want to slim down these thighs and tighten these abs what do you suggest????????????

Oh yeah I work out 5-6 days a week! sunday is my off day!
  • Missy0104
    Options
    GREAT Post and string of replies.

I agree and I appreciate the feedback. It's motivating to hear of you all with such great results with primarily strength training. I really am clueless about the fitness part of the journey so I'm definitely learning as I go and this was eye opening for me. I kinda feel bad about calling the trainer a donkey now. Haha.....
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    i think cardio is important on its own until u get to a weight u are comfortable with and then u start building muscle to tone up. its not fun to build muscle under fat.

Don't worry about building muscle under fat, it will not happen if you are in a caloric deficit, all the strength training will do is ensure you don't lose the muscle you do have, and help you become stronger. muscle needs a caloric surplus to actually increase, unless you are new to lifting you may gain 2-3 pounds of muscle even in a caloric deficit (beginners gains)

okay Eric i have a question for you then. My thighs, buttox and arms are tight, i mean i have defined muscle, and i have been told that i have a layer of fat over my abs but my abs are most definitely there. i can ffell them and my son and hubby can too. I do heavy lifting and i do HIIT training. I want to slim down these thighs and tighten these abs what do you suggest????????????

caloric deficit, can't spot reduce
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options

caloric deficit, can't spot reduce
    That is what I was going to say as well.
  • torsaer
    torsaer Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    bump
  • absbodysym
    Options
    I am a trainer and I own a gym.
    I don't believe cardio is any better for weight loss than weight -training can be for strength. If you want to sustain any weight loss you need to understand food. Carbs, fat and protein all have their rightful place in our busy day and when managed effectively your body responds naturally . Let's face it, in our industrialized society, 80% + of we humans live sedendary lifestyles. At this stage of our evolution we must purposefully exert ourselves to get exercise and move from A to B. Of the 168 hours spread across the days in a week... we may allot 5 hours to exercise. The remainder of the time (163 hours) we are working, sleeping or eating. What we eat accounts for 75 - 80% of our weight loss or gain.
    I cannot back the idea that cardio be used as a primary means to losing weight Of course cardio burns calories which, when done enough, obviously translates in weight loss. But when you can''t get to a gym or track... there is no reason to put back on the weight you so diligently lost. Learning to eat the right foods at the right times for the circumstances of your daily existence will allow you to maintain or lose weight. It really is up to you. Exercise is a crutch that allows you to slip trip and gain. If you're eating to maintain a healthy weight there won't be the weight gain that comes from not being in the gym! Life will always provide moments that trip you up and keep you out of the gym but you'll probably have tons of opportunities to make good(or bad) eating choices. The benefits of eating the right mixes of nutrients and vitamins is priceless and goes a long way to keeping your weight where it needs to be.
    Cardiovascular exercise is a heart smart tool that delivers oxygen and nutrients to your tissues. There are other benefits too numerous to mention here
    Strength or resistance training goes a long way in keeping bones strong and metabolisms active especially in women. It's a shame that none of these benefits are the catalyst reason for our workouts :(.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    He also did tell me to stay off the machines. I work a desk job so he said the last thing I want to do is sit while working out. THAT did make alot of sense to me. So it's free weights and kettlbell for me.

Up until recently, I ONLY used the machines to do any sort of "strength training". I have some physical issues that flare up when I try and do the weights. So, I was using the machines ONLY (issues are getting better, so I am trying to add back in the weights).

They've toned me up and I can see the muscle definition.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options

Ab definition comes from a decrease in bodyfat % . . . that's where the 80% diet comes into play.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    This is the philosphy the trainer at my gym tried to convince me of. Their ploy to get me to sign up for weekly sessions was to say that cardio would do nothing but burn fat and muscle and that basically I should focus more on the strength training for the weight loss and stick to cardio for the health aspects.

I argued the whole "calorie in - calorie out" benefits to the cardio exercise but he basically stated that I was burning muscle as well as fat causing my metabolism to crash even further. Again, I think he was really trying to sell personal training sessions but it was rubbing me the wrong way and NOT the best way to go about it.

I wasn't arguing that strength training wasn't crutial and in fact went to him for the sole purpose of getting a good strength training routine into my week to go along with my cardio but to come out and basically say that the cardio is doing nothing for my weight loss bothered me and went against everything I THOUGHT I knew....

Needless to say I didn't feel comfortable doing any further training with him. I'm going to continue with my daily cardio and 2-3x/week strength training on my own. I'm no professional but to me that seems like the best win-win plan for me to get to my goal for now.

I'm curious to hear your thoughts though. I know there are trainers on here and would love to get their opinions on his theory....

I can't even begin to describe the BS that's included in this trainer's argument. Unfortunately his attitude is part of a mass hysteria that is infecting large parts of the fitness community.

In some ways I can sympathize--being a full-time trainer can be tough work and doesn't allow a lot of time to keep up with research. And the pressure to market yourself and appear to be on the "cutting edge" makes it all too easy to be a windsock, chasing every fitness fad that comes by.

But it's a false argument in that it always assumes their has to be an "either/or" choice. Or it seems to be part of our modern need to always assume dominionist positions--it's not enough to prefer a certain (in this case) form of exercise; everyone must be made to accept that your ideas are superior to all others.

The "sprinter vs marathon runner" argument is disingenuous, if not completely dishonest. First of all, it takes two genetic extremes and purports to use them as examples of the "average person". Secondly, it takes extreme training methods that are specifically designed for performance, not health or weight loss per se, and again tries to extrapolate them to the average person's workout program. (Because running 150 miles a week is JUST LIKE doing 45 minutes on a elliptical). Elite marathon runners don't have scrawny physiques because of excessive cardio--it's because they don't do any significant muscle-building weight training. THEY DON'T WANT UPPER BODY MUSCLE--at the elite level it can be a detriment. It's not like they are sitting at home thinking, "darn I was really looking to build up my pecs, but this damn' cardio keeps getting in the way". Instead of always showing the picture of the scrawny white guy doctored to make it look like he just escaped from a concentration camp, try using the example of some top-level triathlete. These guys do tons of cardio, but seem to have no problem keeping all the muscle they want:

triathlete2.jpg

triathlete.jpg

The literature is pretty clear on this issue: a combination of cardio and resistance training is better than either cardio alone or resistance training alone Doing cardio is not going to inhibit your weight loss unless you are doing a very high volume of high-intensity cardio combined with a low calorie intake--and even then, the problems won't be related to "muscle burning".

And again, let me be perfectly clear -- I am in no way minimizing the importance of resistance training--for weight loss, for health, for everyone. I am in no way advocating a "cardio only" approach to weight loss--I have been prescribing weight training for weight loss since long before most personal trainers even heard of the term.

My remarks are directed towards this trainer and others like him who insist on promoting the idea that more than 30 minutes of cardio--even when combined with a resistance training program (as the OP wanted to do) will inhibit fat loss by "burning muscle" or that cardio is "no good for fat loss".
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    Options
    He also did tell me to stay off the machines. I work a desk job so he said the last thing I want to do is sit while working out. THAT did make alot of sense to me. So it's free weights and kettlbell for me.

Up until recently, I ONLY used the machines to do any sort of "strength training". I have some physical issues that flare up when I try and do the weights. So, I was using the machines ONLY (issues are getting better, so I am trying to add back in the weights).

They've toned me up and I can see the muscle definition.

I hate machines, and while they make the weight room less intimidating because anyone can walk up and use it relatively properly it is less efficient and effective than free weights and proper form (for which you have to work more of the positive and negative in the move and the small balances that help you keep control of those pesky weights.
  • Azdak
    Options
    I am a trainer and I own a gym.
    I don't believe cardio is any better for weight loss than weight -training can be for strength. If you want to sustain any weight loss you need to understand food. Carbs, fat and protein all have their rightful place in our busy day and when managed effectively your body responds naturally . Let's face it, in our industrialized society, 80% + of we humans live sedendary lifestyles. At this stage of our evolution we must purposefully exert ourselves to get exercise and move from A to B. Of the 168 hours spread across the days in a week... we may allot 5 hours to exercise. The remainder of the time (163 hours) we are working, sleeping or eating. What we eat accounts for 75 - 80% of our weight loss or gain.
    I cannot back the idea that cardio be used as a primary means to losing weight Of course cardio burns calories which, when done enough, obviously translates in weight loss. But when you can''t get to a gym or track... there is no reason to put back on the weight you so diligently lost. Learning to eat the right foods at the right times for the circumstances of your daily existence will allow you to maintain or lose weight. It really is up to you. Exercise is a crutch that allows you to slip trip and gain. If you're eating to maintain a healthy weight there won't be the weight gain that comes from not being in the gym! Life will always provide moments that trip you up and keep you out of the gym but you'll probably have tons of opportunities to make good(or bad) eating choices. The benefits of eating the right mixes of nutrients and vitamins is priceless and goes a long way to keeping your weight where it needs to be.
    Cardiovascular exercise is a heart smart tool that delivers oxygen and nutrients to your tissues. There are other benefits too numerous to mention here
    Strength or resistance training goes a long way in keeping bones strong and metabolisms active especially in women. It's a shame that none of these benefits are the catalyst reason for our workouts :(.

I don't know--at our center, the resistance training programs--boot camp, extreme boot camp, TRX, kickboxing, cardio pump, etc--are about 95% female.
  • modernfemme
    modernfemme Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Man... what did you do without him while you were losing 58 pounds?? HAHAHAHA!
  • Azdak
    Options

I agree and I appreciate the feedback. It's motivating to hear of you all with such great results with primarily strength training. I really am clueless about the fitness part of the journey so I'm definitely learning as I go and this was eye opening for me. I kinda feel bad about calling the trainer a donkey now. Haha.....

Don't feel bad--your reaction was exactly right.
  • bbygrl5
    bbygrl5 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I would like to second rybo's and azdak's comments.

*Edit to add: It may seem contrary, but really, I think there is a grain of truth in what this guy at your gym said, but he overgeneralized. Your safest bet is just to realize that cardio and resistance training are both key for overall fitness.
  • Missy0104
    Options
    Thank you Azdak - I appreciate such a passionate response! :)
  • DoncasterPhotography
    Options
    Bump for later
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options

Don't feel bad--your reaction was exactly right.

Ditto this.. I've called my trainer that and then some during our sessions..
  • hamncheese67
    hamncheese67 Posts: 1,715 Member
    Options
    Yes, the trainer is pretty much right. You need a combination of cardio and strength training, not just cardio. I'm a step instructor and avid cardio girl, but I didn't see the results I wanted until I added heavy lifting. I balance this out with moderate carbs and high protein to fuel both types of workouts. If I understand what he was saying, he wasn't saying that cardio is getting you no where, but that you desired physique is dependent on the strength training more, and your overall fitness is dependent on your cardio (which you can actually do less of at high intensity to get benefit). Your trainer is actually not an idiot, just not conforming to your preferences.

Actually, it sounds to me like the trainer was an ineffective communicator, because it sounds like what the original poster heard was "cardio is a wasted of time" not that you need a combination of cardio and strength.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    Options
    Yes, the trainer is pretty much right. You need a combination of cardio and strength training, not just cardio. I'm a step instructor and avid cardio girl, but I didn't see the results I wanted until I added heavy lifting. I balance this out with moderate carbs and high protein to fuel both types of workouts. If I understand what he was saying, he wasn't saying that cardio is getting you no where, but that you desired physique is dependent on the strength training more, and your overall fitness is dependent on your cardio (which you can actually do less of at high intensity to get benefit). Your trainer is actually not an idiot, just not conforming to your preferences.

Actually, it sounds to me like the trainer was an ineffective communicator, because it sounds like what the original poster heard was "cardio is a wasted of time" not that you need a combination of cardio and strength.

This is what I picked up on in her post: " . . . cardio would do nothing but burn fat and muscle and that basically I should focus more on the strength training for the weight loss and stick to cardio for the health aspects. "
  • Missy0104
    Options
    Correct - he started off the conversation asking what I had been doing for workout. My answer "brisk walking, running, arc trainer, etc" and he said that for the "results I want, I need to get off the cardio and focus on the resistance training because doing the cardio is doing nothing but burning muscle along with the fat which in turn was killing my metabolism and making it difficult to lose even on a low calorie diet". He said cardio is important for heart heath and important to build bone in his older female clients but given my age and my fitness goals, I wouldn't get there doing cardio and I needed to focus my energy on weight training.