Isagenix?

Options
So, a freind of mine at the gym wastelling me that she does Isagenix and that it has CHANGED HER LIFE. She sells it now. But, her skin does look amazing, and she has lost quite a bit of weight. Anyone have any experience with this or similar cleanses?

It's *expensive*, so I can't just "give it a whirl" like slimfast or whey protein. Plus, anything that takes so long to convince me of what my problem is in the video sets my spidey-senses tingling.

Thoughts?

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    So someone trying to sell you something tells you the product is life changing and the best ever? interesting...
  • lvnspoonful
    lvnspoonful Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Never heard of it....
  • KarenLipana
    Options
    STOOOOP!
    dont buy stuff like that?
    Do you really need it?
    I mean, why not do it the old fashion way...diet and exercise.
    Lets see....
    Nutritional cleansing=eat tons of fruits and veggies, avoid FRIED and FAST FOODS.
    cellular replenishing and youthful aging=everyday multivitamins

problem solved!
  • jperrysunlover
    jperrysunlover Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I am an Isagenix fan. I love the shakes and the supplements. The fasting diet is really good to your body and I wasn't starving. It is expensive, so I use it before a beach vacation or a special occasion if I want to cleanse and drop about 5-9 lbs.

This is a great product to use if you have colon or gastrointestinal issues and can't handle lots of veggies, fruits or seeds without an issue. I had colon cancer so it's a good fit for me.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    Holy Cow! When you said not cheap! $380 for 30 days? Think of how much beautiful produce you could buy for that amount? I am sure you could change your diet to get more of the nutrients you need to get healthier looking skin and weight loss.
  • ChristieisReady
    ChristieisReady Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I kinda think that for the money, it might be a better plan just to buy a juicer and go on a veggie juice "cleanse".

If I really need a cleanse. I mean, that's sort of what my perfectly functioning liver and kidneys and colon are for, no?

So... with a lead stomach (which I have) maybe just veggie loading for a few days is a better plan? I mean, they cry about hte pesticides in vegetables, but I'm sure there's plenty of random crap in their stuff as well.

And before you say it, no, I cannot grow my own veggies. I live in an apartment and am the plant world's version of Charles Manson. (Except I feel bad about it).
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I kinda think that for the money, it might be a better plan just to buy a juicer and go on a veggie juice "cleanse".

If I really need a cleanse. I mean, that's sort of what my perfectly functioning liver and kidneys and colon are for, no?

So... with a lead stomach (which I have) maybe just veggie loading for a few days is a better plan? I mean, they cry about hte pesticides in vegetables, but I'm sure there's plenty of random crap in their stuff as well.

And before you say it, no, I cannot grow my own veggies. I live in an apartment and am the plant world's version of Charles Manson. (Except I feel bad about it).

:laugh:
  • ChristieisReady
    Options
    Cari-Lee:

I don't buy it. If all of our soil and air is toxic (which, to be fair, may be true enough), where is Isagenix getting their toxin-free ingredients? What am I eating? What are these real ingredients? It all seems a bit Soylent Green to me.

I'm also a bit bothered by the fact that people don't just want me to buy the product, they want me to sell the product. I have a job. I don't want to sell magic potions. I'd like to get the crap out of my system, but given that hte first few minutes of the video were devoted to tellng me that my house, food, and clothes are toxic, I'm just not seeing how a shake is going to manage that.

Because, you see, I'm going to drink it out of a glass that is stored in my toxic apartment which will undoubtedly release toxins into the beverage, most likely through a toxic straw. Then I will continue to breathe the toxic air and bathe in the toxic water. I think the shake may be outmatched here.
  • digitalsteel
    digitalsteel Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I dislike meal replacement shakes or substitutions. They all tend to be full of the stuff people claim are healthy, so they look really good on paper. Problem is, there is a lot of push behind what people currently think is good for you, and much of that information tends to be wrong. They may have all the nutrients you need, but they lack the fuel and building blocks your body desires.
  • BBCTiffyB
    BBCTiffyB Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I use a different product called Shakeology. Yes I'm a coach so of coarse I am going to mention the stuff, but the only thing I can say from my experience is that having to go gluten free has left me craving a lot of "old foods" that I could no longer eat. Also, with the extreme workout program I am doing, I take protein shakes (which I hate) and would tend to leave them out of my meal.

The Shakeology works as a meal replacement AND my protein shake so it works for me. They also have a 3 day cleanse that I plan on doing in between rounds so I can't speak for the cleanse part yet. You just have to find what works for you =)
  • ChristieisReady
    Options
    That sounds nice, but again... what is all of this made of?
  • catrojas
    catrojas Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I just want to throw this out there. My friend used Isagenix and lost 80 pounds. she sells it, but doen't push or pitch unless you ask her about her weight loss.
    If it hadn't been for her I wouldn't be on MFP right now. I was inspired by her complete change in appearance and her energy. she was a whole new person. So I looked into it, thought it was waaay to expensive, and now instead of using the whole program, I'm naughty and just buy enough from her to take one shake a day for my dinner, It fills me up, and I stated loosing weight from the beginning, I'm not saying its the shakes, I think a lot of it is my mindset, and Isagenix just gave me a mental boost to eat better.
    The first ingredient is whey protein, so I just look at it as a super healthy protein shake before my nightly workout.

I've seen it in action, maybe talk to your friend and just try a shake a day, or half a shake twice a day, cuts down on cost and lets you take it for a test spin, or do the 9 day challenge, its still expensive, but its a nice way to try the program and see what you think about it

(my friend is the blond on the right of my profile pic)
  • ChristieisReady
    Options
    What. is. in. it?
  • wifeygonzo
    wifeygonzo Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    My husband and I did IsAgenix a few years ago and we both lost a lot of weight. It was great for about 6-8 months. Yes, it is a bit expensive. Neither one of us liked the vanilla flavored shake, the chocolate flavored shake is ok. You can add stuff to it to change the flavor up a bit. But in the end we bascially got sick & tired of drinking those shakes all the time, which is one of the reasons we quit, and the cost. I think its a temporary fix, but definitely not a way to live your life.
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    They intentionally look for the people most likely to buy their product. Some people are so desperate to lose weight fast and easily they will pay the stupidly high prices, for something that they can get "for free", with a bit of work and attention to detail.

What does this offer that normal, healthy, and cheap diet & exercise cannot provide?
  • catrojas
    catrojas Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    What. is. in. it?

Isapro complex (when protein concentrate), calcium caseinate, low heat nonfat dry milk, fructose, sunflower oil powder, natural cocoa powder, soy lecithin, natural flavors, ionic alfalfa, olive oil powder, flax seed, soluble fiber, guar gum, xanthan gum, sodium chloride, magnesium oxide, tri calcium phosphate, honey powder, megnesium citrate, potassium citrate, copper amino acid chelate. and a lot more, says that it provides 18 amino acids, and is barley, wheat, gluten, and trans fat free.

they say that the protein sources are all from new zealand grass fed cows with no added hormones or antibiotics.
  • ChristieisReady
    Options
    What. is. in. it?

Isapro complex (when protein concentrate), calcium caseinate, low heat nonfat dry milk, fructose, sunflower oil powder, natural cocoa powder, soy lecithin, natural flavors, ionic alfalfa, olive oil powder, flax seed, soluble fiber, guar gum, xanthan gum, sodium chloride, magnesium oxide, tri calcium phosphate, honey powder, megnesium citrate, potassium citrate, copper amino acid chelate. and a lot more, says that it provides 18 amino acids, and is barley, wheat, gluten, and trans fat free.

they say that the protein sources are all from new zealand grass fed cows with no added hormones or antibiotics.

THANK YOU. :flowerforyou: Now the question is simply (and I don't honestly expect an answer here) how is a detox shake going to compete with an entirely toxic environment? Because I'm not moving to New Zealand.
  • rllewell
    Options
    Christie I see you at least received the ingredients FINALLY! Some great points were brought up in this discussion. My only 2 cents to add is never JUST go by testimonials or a spokesperson. Do your homework and find 3rd party research on that specific product (not just research on an ingredient in the product). If the product doesn't have research that backs what it states it is and proves what it does, I would NOT buy it or consume it.

I can give you a perfect example of this in regards to products claiming to boost or balance your immune system and have found ONLY one that has the research to back it up but don’t want to hijack your Isagenix topic. Good luck in your research for the best way to lose weight. I’m doing it by following a modified eating plan similar to what is described in the “17 Day Diet” book. Mostly portion control, eating the right foods at the right time and exercising 5-6 days a week.
  • RobynC79
    RobynC79 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Lets see here...

Isapro complex (when (whey??) protein concentrate) = dehydrated milk
    calcium caseinate = fortified milk sugar
    low heat nonfat dry milk = milk
    fructose = sugar
    sunflower oil powder = veg oil
    natural cocoa powder = cocoa/oil
    soy lecithin = thickener
    natural flavors = just what it sounds like, prob largely sugars
    ionic alfalfa = no idea, but an amusing concept
    olive oil powder = veg oil
    flax seed, soluble fiber = cellulose/vegetable fiber
    guar gum, xanthan gum = thickeners
    sodium chloride = salt
    magnesium oxide, tri calcium phosphate, = preservatives/trace elements
    honey powder = sugar
    megnesium citrate, potassium citrate = preservatives/trace elements
    copper amino acid chelate = no idea - amino acids don't contain copper. A chelator binds and holds another substance (often precipitating it out of solution).

So, essentially you are paying a cr*pload of money for powdered milk with some added fat, fiber and and sugar. If, indeed, everything around you is completely saturated with toxins, I don't think this combo is going to rescue you... Perhaps you could spray your house down with it??

It seems to be the equivalent of making a fruit smoothie and popping a multivitamin. Or, you could have the fruit smoothie and eat a healthy, balanced diet and let your toxin-laden environment do its worst. Also, New Zealand is a lovely place, so you could consider moving there.
  • ChristieisReady
    Options
    Perhaps you could spray your house down with it??

Also, New Zealand is a lovely place, so you could consider moving there.

LMAO. Literally almost fell over laughing! Thank you for decoding the mystery of Soylent Green... I mean, Isagenix for me. And also for suggesting how to use it to effectively detox my environment! I'll forward the Isagenix-room-spray concept to the corporate office!

:laugh: :flowerforyou: :laugh: