SOUP RECIPES WANTED

Options
SeasideOasis
SeasideOasis Posts: 1,057 Member
Hey everyone!
Its "THAT" time of the year (at least Cleveland, Ohio is making it feel like it!!)! I'm getting my auto-defrost installed, as you never know when RANDOM ice storms will hit.

In other news, I NEED SOUP RECIPES!!! Preferably on the healthier side! I've never been much of a soup maker, however, since I've become a pretty awesome cook over the last year, I'm ready to dive in!

Please post you awesome recipes (homemade or your favorites from websites) here so I can give them a test run. PS: I do not like beans...However, lentils are awesome!!!

Replies

• nkswans
    nkswans Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    I just made roasted butternut squash soup today! Its not quite fall yet here in Chicago but eh close enough! It was very easy and didn't use a lot of ingredients.

1 butternut squash, peeled and diced
    1 onion, quartered
    2 cans vegetable or chicken broth
    spices to your liking---I used 1/4 tsp cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, pinch of cayenne and cloves
    1 tbsp butter (optional)

Toss squash and onions with olive oil, salt and pepper. Roast on a sheet pan for 50 minutes at 350.
    Puree squash, onions and broth with blender, food processor, or hand blender.
    Heat ingredients in pot for 5-10 minutes with spices. Add butter. Enjoy!

You could really jazz this up by adding bacon, potatoes or an apple/pear. Whatever you really like. If you want to make it creamier, add sour cream, cream/milk, or yogurt.
  • MikeInAZ
    MikeInAZ Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    equal amounts of water and your choice of low sodium/fat beef,chicken, or veggie Stock
    All the fresh veggies you like:
    carrots, celery, onions, green beans, zucchini, kale, bell pepper, brussel sprouts, canned Italian stewed tomatoes etc.
    1 can of pinto or black beans
    add couscous, quinoa, or barley
    Season with Italian seasonings, garlic, salt, pepper, basil
    top with a little cilantro, fresh onion or anything else you like to add some texture.

Could add in chicken sausage for some meat/protein option
  • nkswans
    nkswans Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Today I'm making Minestrone and its 85 degrees in Chicago! I don't care though because this is probably my favorite soup of all time. Its my mom's recipe and it is delicious!

2 cans dark red kidney beans
    2 stalks celery, chopped
    2 carrots, chopped
    1 onion, chopped
    4 potatoes, diced
    1/2 stick butter (you could always reduce this to make it healthier)
    about 2 oz of spaghetti
    1-2 bay leaf
    salt and pepper to taste

Fill large soup pot with water, add drained beans. Cook on medium until boil, cook for about 5-10 more minutes. Break up the beans while it boils. Add celery, carrots, onions, bay leaf, butter, season with salt and pepper and cook for at least 2 hours. You want the broth to be somewhat thick and very tasty. The last 20 minutes add the spaghetti and potato to cook. This soup will only get better as it sits. I like to add a little bit of Parmesan on top when I serve it. Also, you could use rice instead of pasta and whatever vegetables you want-spinach, rutabaga, canned diced tomato basically whatever you like or looks good at the store.
  • NicolioRussell
    Options
    Ah, I just love Ohio. Columbus, here. Back up in the 80's this week.

Super easy Chili:

1 can of red kidney beans
    2 large cans of crushed tomatoes
    1 can of diced tomatoes
    1 lb ground turkey, browned
    1 can of black beans
    1 can mexican style kidney beans
    2 pkgs. chili seasoning
    1 whole yellow onion chopped

Throw all ingredients into crock pot; simmer on low 5-6 hours, or on high 2-3 hours.
    Serves 8-10, about 350 calories per person.

All ingredients can be cheaply bought at Aldi, too :-)
  • asyouseefit
    asyouseefit Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    I just made the Chicken pot pie soup from Skinnytaste.com (http://www.skinnytaste.com/2011/01/chicken-pot-pie-soup.html). Honestly, it's like heaven in a bowl! And super healthy too!

She has a lot more soup recipes if you wanna check them out (I know I will): http://www.skinnytaste.com/search/label/Soup Recipes
  • jennarandhayes
    jennarandhayes Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Jamaican Red Bean Stew (can also be made in the slow cooker)

Saute until soft: 1 Tablespoon olive oil
    2 Cloves Garlic, minced
    2 Cups carrots, chopped
    3 Scallions, chopped
    1 Sweet potato, chopped

Pour in to soup pot or
    slow cooker: Sauteed veggies from above
    1 can diced tomatoes
    2 cans kidney beans
    1 can light coconut milk
    1 Cup veggie broth
    2 teaspoons curry powder
    1/2 teaspoon thyme
    1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
    1/4 teaspoon allspice
    salt and pepper to taste

In pot, bring to a boil, add lid and turn down heat. Simmer for 1 hour.

In slow cooker, cook on low for 6-8 hours. Serve with corn bread. AMAZING!!!
  • PLUMSGRL
    PLUMSGRL Posts: 1,134 Member
    Options
    Bump for later:wink:
  • 10fairywings
    10fairywings Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I've got masses, parsnip and carrot, carrot and corriander, butternut squash and sweet potato, spicy carrot, tomato and coconut (my fav), good old fashioned vegetable, chicken and vegetable, spicy lentil, and loads more, if anyone wants recipes let me know!! :)
  • lissababe
    lissababe Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I love how almost everyone posted a recipe with beans in it when she said she didnt like beans......
  • cloneme_losehalf
    cloneme_losehalf Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    This is a Weight Watchers recipe I have had for years.

1 package Ora Ida frozen O'brein Potatoes
    3 16 oz Cans Chicken Broth
    1 package Pioneer Fat Free Country Gravy

Place entire package of potatoes in saucepan.
    Add 2 cans of chicken broth and bring to a boil.
    Mix third can of chicken broth with gravy package and whisk unitil dissolved.
    Add gravy mixture to potatoes and broth, stirring until blended.
    Simmer until hot.

(Season to taste with garlic pepper seasoning or seasonings of choice. Also good with FF shredded cheese, sour cream and some crumbled turkey bacon)
  • Sheeshy
    Sheeshy Posts: 133
    Options
    Found a really yummy looking one while browsing some Greek recipes - haven't tried it yet, but everything else I've made from his website is awesome. Here's a link for Soupa Horiatiki - (No beans, but if you look around his site, you'll find some pretty yummy looking lentil soups too)

http://www.kalofagas.ca/2008/04/22/is-it-easter-yet/
  • fatty2fabby
    fatty2fabby Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    bbc goodfood has some amazing recipes

Carrot & coriander soup
    Ingredients
    1 tbsp vegetable oil
    1 onion , chopped
    1 tsp ground coriander
    1 potato , chopped
    450g carrots , peeled and chopped
    1.2l vegetable or chicken stock
    handful coriander (about ½ a supermarket packet)

Heat the oil in a large pan, add the onion, then fry for 5 mins until softened. Stir in the ground coriander and potato, then cook for 1 min. Add the carrots and stock, bring to the boil, then reduce the heat. Cover and cook for 20 mins until the carrots are tender.
    Tip into food processor with the coriander. then blitz until smooth (you may need to do this in two batches). Return to pan, taste, add salt if necessary, then reheat to serve.

Leek, bacon & potato soup
    25g butter
    3 rashers streaky bacon , chopped
    1 onion , chopped
    400g pack trimmed leeks , sliced and well washed
    3 medium potatoes , peeled and diced
    1.4l hot vegetable stock
    142ml pot single cream
    4 rashers streaky bacon , to serve

Melt the butter in a large pan, then fry the bacon and onion, stirring until they start to turn golden. Tip in the leeks and potatoes, stir well, then cover and turn down the heat. Cook gently for 5 mins, shaking the pan every now and then to make sure that the mixture doesn't catch.
    Pour in the stock, season well and bring to the boil. Cover and simmer for 20 mins until the vegetables are soft. Leave to cool for a few mins, then blend in a food processor in batches until smooth. Return to the pan, pour in the cream and stir well. Taste and season if necessary. Serve scattered with tasty crisp bacon and eat with toasted or warm crusty bread on the side.
  • richellecc
    Options

spices to your liking---I used 1/4 tsp cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, pinch of cayenne and cloves

Is this a 1/4 tsp each? Thanks, this looks great!
  • Laura_beau
    Laura_beau Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    Hungarian Goulash Stew (It's called a stew in Hungary- the Germans call it a soup. Either way it is rich, hearty and filling). Cook this slowly in a crock pot/ slow cooker/ casserole dish in oven. If you do not have the means for this method, use a different cut of beef (ie: sirloin) and cook quicker on the hob.

Serves 4- about 280 cals per portion without potatoes- or 330 with potatoes.

500g lean casserole beef (trim excess fat)
    200ml beef stock/broth- use low sodium if you can
    400g/1 can chopped tomatoes
    S&P
    3 tbsp paprika
    2 cloves garlic
    1/2 red bell pepper, sliced
    1/2 green bell pepper, sliced
    1 red/white onion, sliced
    1 bunch fresh flat leaf parsely, chopped
    fat free yoghurt/ low fat sour cream to serve
    lemon wedges to serve.

Optional- 300g cubed potatoes/ sweet potatoes/ butternut squash.

1. Coat beef in a little flour and quickly brown (for about a minute) until sealed.

2. Add to the crock pot- add the stock, tomatoes, spices, garlic and cook on low for 2-3 hrs.

3. Add the potatoes (if having), peppers, onions & mushrooms. Cook for a further 2 hours.

4. Serve sprinkled with parsley, drizzled with sour cream/yoghurt & squeezed with lemon
  • melissaforster07
    melissaforster07 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Bump for later
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    A couple of older WW ones...not sure of the calories, but you could use the recipe builder to figure that out.

Cheese Soup (1 cup = 1 WW point).
    3 15 oz. Cans of 99% fat-free (low sodium) chicken broth
    2 16 oz. bags of vegetablies – cauliflower, broccoli, carrots (I used broccoli only and it was fantastic)
    1 can of Rotel (or Italian tomatoes, if you don’t want it spicy)
    10 oz. Lite velveeta
    Cook broth, rotel and vegetables until tender, then add Velveeta.
    Makes 10 cups.

Fiesta Chicken Soup (1 cup = 2 points)
    1 can (16 oz.) fat free refried beans
    1 can (11 oz.) whole kernel corn with liquid
    1 can (14 oz.) fat free chicken broth
    1 cup chunky salsa
    1 can (5 oz.) 94% fat free chunk chicken with liquid or cooked chicken with liquid.
    1 can (15.5 oz.) black beans rinsed and drained.
    ½ cup (4 oz.) fat-free shredded cheddar cheese
    Combine first 6 ingredients in large saucepan, bring to boil over medium heat. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add cheese, stirring until melted.

Taco Soup (1 cup = 2 points)
    1 48oz. jar Randall northern beans
    2 cups whole kernel corn
    1 28 oz. can diced tomatoes
    1 package taco seasoning mix
    1 pkg. hidden valley ranch (fat free) dressing mix
    Combine all & cook well
  • cj411
    Options
    I've got lots of recipes, some even under 100 cals a serving :P

My favourite at the moment is my Chicken & Sweetcorn soup (80 calories per serving), its very filling and delicious.

Ingredients
    300g lean chicken mince (I buy skinless breasts and mince them myself if I can't get lean mince)
    2 egg whites
    4 Chef’s Cupboard chicken stock cubes (buy these from Aldi, otherwise use two normal size Chicken stock/bouillon cubes)
    1.2 L Water
    1 x 410g can creamed corn
    75 g spring onions, thinly sliced
    1 tblspn Krummies Corn Flour
    3-4 tblspns cold water

Method
    1. Pour the water into a large, heavy based saucepan and crumble the stock cubes into it. Set on a high heat and bring to the boil, stirring occasionally.
    2. Meanwhile, whisk the egg whites briskly until they begin to form a soft foam. Do not whip them too much or they will form a meringue (they can still be used in this state, but the texture of the soup will be different)
    3. Stir egg through the chicken mince with the whisk, folding the mixture.
    4. Mix the corn flour with 3-4 tblspns tablespoons of cold water and stir to form a smooth paste.
    5. Empty the can of creamed corn into the stock, along with the spring onions, and stir well to combine. Once the corn is mixed in, add the cornflour paste and bring the mix back to the boil for a minute. You must stir this mixture constantly whilst it is boiling.
    6. Drop the heat back to a simmer, and add the chicken and egg mixture. Keep whisking the mixture to combine. Keep the pot on the simmer for a few minutes, stirring , whilst the egg and chicken cook.

This recipe makes ABOUT 1.5 L. I always split the recipe into 6 equal servings (so about 250mL).
    If you are on a calorie or sodium controlled diet please make sure you measure the soup in a heat proof 2L jug to determine the actual volume, and divide it by six to get your serving size… you can also add enough hot water to make the soup up to 1.5L if you come in under that volume.

Per serving (1/6 of recipe)
    80 calories
    3g protein
    0.65g Fat/0.07g saturated fat
    Carbs 13.9g, Sugars 4.37
    Sodium 547mg

You can significantly reduced the sodium content by using a reduced sodium bouillon cube.
  • Aross83
    Aross83 Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    bump
  • shander7
    shander7 Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    bump :smile:
  • sunshinel397
    Options
    bump