• Kaimana94
    Kaimana94 Posts: 165 Member
    bump:smile:
  • dianer75935
    dianer75935 Posts: 186 Member
    bump
  • kyle4jem
    kyle4jem Posts: 1,400 Member
    I just blitz whatever veggies are left in the fridge at the end of the week. Last week it was cabbage, carrots, a bit of butternut and some tender stem broccoli. All blitzed with about 100ml water and then a couple of tbs of creme-fraiche, season to taste. Yummy and all under 90kc for a 250g serving :tongue:
  • hufflypuff
    hufflypuff Posts: 185 Member
    **not too healthy warning**

Can of condensed cheddar broccoli soup
    bag of broccoli that steams in microwave
    1/2 cup 1% milk

If you use the full cup that the can of soup suggests your soup will not be thick and creamy
  • Tried an awesome soup yesterday and it had.. get this... 180 calories total in 1.5 cups... and best part.. its simple to make and tastes so goooood! The left overs, if heated in a pot and not a microwave is awesome too... Had it today for lunch.

If you have an Asian market around you can find everything needed for this soup there. I will leave links with pictures of some of the ingredients in-case you are not too familiar with them.

8-10 skinned chicken drumsticks, OR 8-10 skinned thighs, or 1 -2 skinned chicken breast diced into bite sizes ( seasoned with fresh herbs, whatever you like e.g, thyme, green onions, cilantro, salt and pepper.
    6 cups water
    1 tsp salt ( to taste).
    1/2 medium size red onion ( chopped into bigger chunks)
    4-5 Chayote (http://recipes.wikia.com/wiki/Chayote)
    10-12 bok choy properly washed ( usually has about 2 dozen small bundles) http://www.cifarm.com/products.html
    Fresh ginger- cut up a few big pieces, according to your taste. I usually use 4 slices.
    1 tsp sesame oil ( 26 cals)

Ok.. so you bring the water to boil...
    Add the chicken and all the herbs its been seasoned with.
    Add salt and sesame oil and ginger.
    Lower the heat and cover for about 20-25 mins... ( want chicken cooked properly)
    Add, bok choy, chayote and onion,.
    Stir and cover again for about 10 mins.
    Make sure the salt is to your taste. If you need more because of the amount of water then feel free to add.

You can also add any other kinds of veggies you like.. carrots, corn, sweet peppers...

Hope its not too confusing. Google any other ingredients you are not sure of. I find that when you add different herbs to your food.. fresh ones..it gives the food so much flavor and each one has so many good properties that are good for the body.

ENJOY.

PS.. the chayote needs to be peeled and the inside part that looks like the heart, cut out. Dice into bite sizes.
  • rstudebaker52
    rstudebaker52 Posts: 30 Member
    BUMP! Sounds like I'm going to be trying a lot of different soups this fall/winter :bigsmile:
  • Jamaican Pumpkin Soup

2 c. pumpkin puree
    2 sweet potatoes
    2 stalks celery
    4 c. vegetable broth
    2 tsp. garlic
    1 tsp. ginger
    1 tsp. turmeric
    1/2 tsp. allspice
    1 small onion

Directions: Throw all the ingredients in your crockpot and cook on LOW until the veggies are soft and it smells like you want to eat it. Then blend it with an immersible blender.

Serve with a dollop of sour cream and some sliced green onions or chives.

Very spicy, warm soup, super low cal. Nice alongside a HIGH cal Garlic Grilled Cheese.
  • DHalaby73
    DHalaby73 Posts: 980 Member
    I just made the Chicken pot pie soup from Skinnytaste.com (http://www.skinnytaste.com/2011/01/chicken-pot-pie-soup.html). Honestly, it's like heaven in a bowl! And super healthy too!

She has a lot more soup recipes if you wanna check them out (I know I will): http://www.skinnytaste.com/search/label/Soup Recipes

I've made it too and your right it is AWESOME....
  • jr1985
    jr1985 Posts: 1,033 Member
    Bump!
  • jr1985
    jr1985 Posts: 1,033 Member
    I unfortunately don't have the nutritional information handy, but I LOVE soup too, and it is generally super low calorie!

This is not on the super healthy side, but delicious and around 300 calories a bowl, so still a lot less calories than a typical meal.

Pepperoni Soup:
    -Caramelize 2 large yellow onions with a drizzle of EVOO, then add in about 3 chopped red bell peppers and about 6 cloves of garlic chopped, cook until veggies are soft.
    -Add a can of Spaghetti sauce and about 2 cans worth of water with about 3 chicken bullion cubes, and a package or Hormel Pepperoni chopped. and about 3-4 oz of whole wheat pasta broken into small pieces. top with loads of Italian Seasoning, Black Pepper and Mrs Dash, top each bowl with 2 tbs of reduced fat parm and a slice of Cheddar cheese to melt in. delicious and so filling!

French Onion Soup
    -Caramelize about 6 yellow onions, Add water, a lot of low sodium beef bullion about a 2 tbs of honey, a little adobo and packaged chicken gravy to thicken Let simmer or put in a crock pot top each bowl with croutons and a slice of swiss cheese

Broccoli Cheese Soup (trying this tonight)
    - Steam a package of broccoli, Add Chicken broth, a little cornstarch to thicken, a little skim milk, and about half a package of velveeta (for a big pot) put in a blender, and simmer

Lemon Chicken and Rice Soup
    - Boil about 3 large chicken breasts overnight in a crock pot, drain, shred and add adobo, Mrs Dash, black pepper and rosemary, 2 boxes of low sodium chicken stock, brown and wild rice and a liberal squeezing of lemon or lime juice, trust me its delicious and you can cook it in a crock pot since you are using rice instead of pasta

Chili
    -brown a pound of pork sausage, drain off the grease, and add a package of taco seasoning, then add 2 small cans of kidney beans, and 2 small cans of chili beans to the crock pot, and a can of tomato juice, 2 onions and 3 bell peppers chopped with a couple of chopped cloves of garlic, and a little chicken stock, the longer this cooks the better it is. add Adobo, Mrs. Dash, black pepper and Italian seasoning and red pepper flakes to taste.

Some of my favorites. Hope you enjoy!
  • teacherkatz
    teacherkatz Posts: 101 Member
    Bump! I love soup! Thekitchen sink soup from the food network is a great, healthy soup!! (one of my favorites).
  • kittycatmeowmeow
    kittycatmeowmeow Posts: 90 Member
    What a great thread. Will def be trying some of these!
  • kristen11joy
    kristen11joy Posts: 114 Member
    I never made soup until I was married -- my MIL uses it to clean out the veggies at the end of the week. Her "recipe": chicken broth (hers is always home-made, but you can skip that step and buy broth) Plus leftover chicken or turkey, plus whatever veggies are in the fridge. Plus whatever noodles you like best (although I skip this when I'm being healthy)

Here is the soup I make to bring to Thanksgiving every year (I actually make it all the time -- but it's become a tradition at thanksgiving)
    Autumn Soup:
    1 onion, diced
    4-5 carrots, cleaned & sliced
    1/2 of a butternut squash
    8 cups chicken or veggie broth

Cook everything in the broth until it's soft (about 1/2 hour?) and blend it. MIL adds extra chicken boullion (but she likes things salty), I like it with lots of pepper, and DH adds a spoonful of red wine to his bowl
  • raynalisa
    raynalisa Posts: 56 Member
    bUMP!
  • Hands-on time: 20 minutes
    Time to table: 1 1/4 hour
    Makes 9 cups

6 cups broth (today I used Light Vegetable Stock)

Cooking spray
    2 carrots, peeled and diced
    1 large onion, diced
    4 teaspoons garlic (from a jar or substitute four cloves minced garlic)
    1/2 cabbage, chopped (or use a bag of slaw, the biggest chunks you can find vs the fine, don't skip the cabbage for it somehow makes the soup)
    1/2 pound frozen green beans
    2 tablespoons tomato paste
    1 teaspoon dried basil
    1 teaspoon dried oregano
    1 teaspoon kosher salt

1 large zucchini, diced

Bring the broth to a boil in the microwave. (This is a time-saving tip that can be skipped if there's no hurry.)

Spray a Dutch oven with cooking spray and heat on MEDIUM HIGH. Add the carrots, onion and garlic and cook for about 5 minutes. Add all the remaining ingredients EXCEPT the zucchini and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce the heat to MEDIUM and simmer for about 15 minutes or until the beans are tender. Add the zucchini and cook until the zucchini are tender. Serve and enjoy!
  • tuffytuffy1
    tuffytuffy1 Posts: 920 Member
    Weight Watchers Baked Potato Soup - my friends all LOVE when I bring this in to work, it is delicious!

POINTS® Value: 5
    Servings: 6
    Preparation Time: 15 min
    Cooking Time: 70 min
    Level of Difficulty: Moderate

Ingredients:

1 bulb(s) garlic clove(s), large, 1/4-inch-slice cut off top
    3 pound(s) potato(es), rinsed, pierced with a fork (about 6 large baking potatoes)
    6 slice(s) uncooked turkey bacon
    4 cup(s) reduced-sodium chicken broth
    1 1/2 Tbsp thyme, fresh, chopped
    1/2 tsp table salt
    1/4 tsp black pepper, freshly ground
    6 Tbsp reduced-fat sour cream
    6 Tbsp low-fat shredded cheddar cheese
    6 Tbsp scallion(s), sliced

Instructions:

Preheat oven to 400ºF. Wrap entire garlic bulb tightly in foil; place garlic and potatoes in oven. (You do not need to put them on a pan; they can go right on an oven rack.)

Bake garlic until soft when squeezed, about 45 minutes; remove from oven and let cool. Continue baking potatoes until tender when pierced, about 15 minutes more; let potatoes stand until cool enough to handle.

Meanwhile, cook bacon in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until browned, about 6 minutes. Place bacon on paper towels to drain off any fat; chop bacon.

Unwrap garlic and squeeze pulp from bulb with hands into a large saucepan. Peel potatoes and add to saucepan; mash with a potato masher until smooth. Gradually stir in broth, thyme, salt and pepper until blended; place saucepan over medium heat and cook until hot, stirring occasionally, about 5 to 10 minutes.

Spoon about 1 1/3 cups of soup into each of 6 soup bowls. Top each with 1 tablespoon of sour cream, 1 tablespoon of cheese, 1 rounded tablespoon of bacon and 1 tablespoon of scallions. Grind fresh pepper over top if desired.

NOTE: I don't bother cooking the garlic, I just add a couple of teaspoons of crushed garlic to the soup.
  • tuffytuffy1
    tuffytuffy1 Posts: 920 Member
    Here is another favorite in my office: Ginger Carrot Soup

I made this a few years ago, I got the recipe from foodtv.com, and it was very yummy!

2 tablespoons sweet cream butter
    2 onions, peeled and chopped
    6 cups chicken broth
    2 pounds carrots, peeled and sliced
    2 tablespoons grated fresh ginger
    1 cup whipping cream (NOTE: I used Light Cream, and it was awesome)
    Salt and white pepper
    Sour cream
    Parsley sprigs, for garnish

In a 6-quart pan, over medium high heat, add butter and onions and cook, stirring often, until onions are limp. Add broth, carrots, and ginger. Cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until carrots are tender when pierced.

Remove from heat and transfer to a blender. Don't fill the blender more than half way, do it in batches if you have to. Cover the blender and then hold a kitchen towel over the top of the blender. Be careful when blending hot liquids as the mixture can spurt out of the blender. Pulse the blender to start it and then puree until smooth. Return to the pan and add cream, stir over high heat until hot. For a smoother flavor bring soup to a boil, add salt and pepper, to taste.

Ladle into bowls and garnish with dollop sour cream and parsley sprigs.
  • Aross83
    Aross83 Posts: 936 Member
    bump
  • BUMP! It's that time of year! Thanks for posting :)