SOUP RECIPES WANTED

Options
15678911»

Replies

• claudiandw
    claudiandw Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I have been on a soup kick lately. Here are a few that we had and loved! :)

ENCHILADA SOUP

2 TBS. Vegetable Oil (or I use Extra Virgin Olive Oil)
    1/2 C. Chopped Onion
    1/2 C. Chopped Green Pepper
    1 TBS. Minced Garlic
    14oz. Can of Vegetable Broth
    2 14oz. Cans Mild Red Enchilada Sauce
    4.5oz Can Diced Green Chiles(I use 2 cans)
    14oz. Can Diced Mexican Style Tomatoes
    15 oz. Can Black Beans(Undrained)
    2 C. Canned White Hominy(Drained)
    2 TBS. Taco Seasoning Mix

Sautee Onion, Green Pepper and Garlic for 2-3 Minutes or until onions are transparent
    Pour in all ingredients and bring to boil. Lower heat to low/medium heat and simmer for 20 minutes.
    Garnish with Tortilla Chips, Shredded Cheese and Sour Cream.
    Enjoy!

TERRIFIC TACO SOUP

Ingredients
    1 pound of ground beef
    1 small onion, minced
    1 small can green chiles, chopped
    1 can stewed tomatoes
    1 can Rotel (Mexican tomatoes)
    1 can ranch style beans or chili beans
    1 can whole kernel corn
    1 ½ cups water
    1 pkg. ranch dressing mix
    1 pkg. taco seasoning mix

Brown beef, onion and chiles. Add remaining ingredients and bring to a boil. Simmer 20 minutes. Great with cornbread or with tortilla chips and grated cheddar cheese.

Lasagna Soup II

For the soup:

2 tsp. olive oil

1-1/2 lbs. Italian sausage

3 c. chopped onions

4 garlic cloves, minced

2 tsp. dried oregano

1/2 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes

2 T. tomato paste

1 28-oz. can fire roasted diced tomatoes

2 bay leaves

6 c. chicken stock

8 oz. mafalda or fusilli pasta

1/2 c. finely chopped fresh basil leaves

salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste

For the cheesy yum:

8 oz. ricotta

1/2 c. grated Parmesan cheese

1/4 tsp. salt
    pinch of freshly ground pepper
    2 c. shredded mozzarella cheese

Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add sausage, breaking up into bite sized pieces, and brown for about 5 minutes. Add onions and cook until softened, about 6 minutes. Add garlic, oregano, and red pepper flakes. Cook for 1 minute. Add tomato paste and stir well to incorporate. Cook for 3 to 4 minutes, or until the tomato paste turns a rusty brown color.

Add diced tomatoes, bay leaves, and chicken stock. Stir to combine. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes. Add uncooked pasta and cook until al dente. Do not over cook or let soup simmer for a long period of time at this point, as the pasta will get mushy. Stir in basil and season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper.

While the pasta is cooking, prepare the cheesy yum. In a small bowl, combine the ricotta, Parmesan, salt, and pepper.

To serve, place a dollop of the cheesy yum in each soup bowl, sprinkle some of the mozzarella on top and ladle the hot soup over the cheese.

Servings: 8

Cheeseburger Soup
    Ingredients

1/2 pound ground beef
    3/4 cup chopped onion
    3/4 cup shredded carrots
    3/4 cup diced celery
    1 teaspoon dried basil
    1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
    4 tablespoons butter, divided
    3 cups chicken broth
    4 cups diced peeled potatoes (1-3/4 pounds)
    1/4 cup all-purpose flour
    2 cups (8 ounces) process cheese (Velveeta)
    1-1/2 cups milk
    3/4 teaspoon salt
    1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon pepper
    1/4 cup sour cream
    Directions
    In a 3-qt. saucepan, brown beef; drain and set aside. In the same saucepan, saute the onion, carrots, celery, basil and parsley in 1 tablespoon butter until vegetables are tender, about 10 minutes. Add the broth, potatoes and beef; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10-12 minutes or until potatoes are tender.

Meanwhile, in a small skillet, melt remaining butter. Add flour; cook and stir for 3-5 minutes or until bubbly. Add to soup; bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 2 minutes. Reduce heat to low. Stir in the cheese, milk, salt and pepper; cook and stir until cheese melts. Remove from the heat; blend in sour cream.

Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1 cup) equals 330 calories, 18 g fat (11 g saturated fat), 59 mg cholesterol, 1,027 mg sodium, 26 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 15 g protein.

Zuppa Toscana

1 lb ground sausage (regular or spicy)

3 large red potatoes, sliced in half and then sliced into 1/4 inch thick slices

1 large onion, sliced

3 cloves garlic, minced

8 cups chicken broth

1 cup heavy whipping cream

1 bunch kale, chopped

freshly grated Parmesan cheese

salt and pepper to taste

3/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (*see note)

Brown sausage in large soup pot. Remove sausage and set aside. To the pot add chicken broth, potatoes, onion, and garlic and bring to a boil. Simmer until potatoes are tender, about 20 minutes. Add cream and sausage to the pot and warm through. (Do not boil) Add kale several minutes before serving. Top with freshly grated Parmesan cheese. Delicious!!
* If using spicy sausage, you may want to omit the red pepper flakes…unless you like eating fire! :)

Mexican Beef Stew

1 tsp olive oil
    1 lb of round roast, diced into chunks
    1/2 tsp cumin
    1/2 tsp chili powder
    1/2 tsp oregano
    Sea salt and fresh cracked black pepper, to taste
    1 sweet yellow onion, cut into large chunks
    5-6 cloves of garlic, chopped
    1 7 oz can of whole green chiles, diced
    1 15 oz can of diced tomatoes (Fire Roasted)
    6 cups of beef broth
    1 bay leaf (not pictured below)
    1 15 oz can of black beans, drained and rinsed
    1 cup of frozen corn, thawed
    Cilantro, chopped (divided)
    3-4 corn tortillas (topping)
    Cotija cheese (topping)

Preheat the oven to 275 degrees.

Heat olive oil in a Dutch Oven over medium heat. Once it's hot add the diced beef and seasonings then brown for 2 minutes; add the onion, garlic, green chile and sauté for 3-4 minutes. Add the tomatoes, beef broth and bay leaf then stir and cover with a lid. Place in the oven for 4-5 hours. Remove from the oven and place on the stove top over medium heat; add the beans, cilantro (reserving a bit for garnish) and corn. If you want it thicker, add a slurry of cornstarch and beef stock. Add to the stew when boiling and it will thicken right up.

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Take a few corn tortillas and spray them with olive oil cooking spray on both side. Cut into small strips and place on a baking sheet. Season with salt and pepper if you like. Bake until golden brown on both sides, about 5-7 minutes.

Top the soup with the crispy tortilla strips, a little cotija cheese and cilantro. Enjoy.

Italian Meatball Soup

Meatballs:

1 lb lean ground beef (I used 93/7)
    1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
    2 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
    2 tbsp fresh basil, chopped
    1 egg
    2 cloves of garlic, minced
    Sea salt and freshly cracked pepper, to taste
    Dried oregano, to taste

Soup:
    1 tbsp olive oil
    1/2 sweet yellow onion, diced
    2 carrots, diced
    2-3 stalks of celery, diced
    1 cup of russet potato, peeled & diced
    Sea salt and freshly cracked pepper, to taste
    Dried oregano, to taste
    1 bay leaf
    8 cups of beef broth
    1 1/2 tbsp tomato paste
    2 cups of green cabbage, chopped
    Parmesan cheese, garnish

Combine all the ingredients for the meatballs together and form small balls. Place in the refrigerator to chill for 30 minutes.

Heat the olive oil in a large Dutch oven over medium high heat. Once it's hot, add the meatballs and cook for 3-4 minutes until lightly browned all over. Remove the meatballs from the Dutch oven to a plate. Cover with tinfoil and set aside.

Turn the stove down to medium low and add the onions, carrot, celery, and potato. Cook stirring occasionally for 4-5 minutes. Add the bay leaf, beef broth, tomato paste to the Dutch oven, season with oregano, sea salt and freshly cracked pepper, to taste. Cover with a lid and let the soup simmer for 1 hour. Add the meatballs and cabbage to the soup, taste and re-season if needed. Serve topped with freshly Parmesan if desired. Enjoy.

Try this link to Pinterest for my Soup recipes :)

http://pinterest.com/claudiandw/soup/
  • EQHanks
    EQHanks Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    What great recipes! I am going to try ro make some of these! Thanks for posting!
  • Yellowstonegirl
    Yellowstonegirl Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I didn't see this one on here, so here's my contribution:

Tuscan Bean Soup

1 lb Sweet Italian Sausage (it's actually a very good soup without the sausage, if you want to cut calories)
    1 medium Onion, chopped
    2 stalks Celery, chopped
    8 cloves garlic, minced
    4 cups chopped kale
    5 cups chicken broth
    1 ½ tsp Italian seasoning
    1 large can diced tomatoes, drained
    2 cans Cannellini (white kidney) beans, undrained (Great Northern or Navy beans will also work)
    Salt and pepper to taste
    Chopped Parsley for garnish (optional)

In a large pot, break Italian sausage into small bite size clumps. Cook until browned. Remove from the pot and set aside. Pour off the sausage drippings except for 2 tablespoons. Add onions and celery to the drippings in the pot and sauté until slightly softened. Add garlic and sauté for 30 seconds. Add kale and sauté until wilted. Add the chicken broth Italian seasoning and tomatoes and cook until kale is tender. Add 1 ½ cans of beans. Mash the remaining beans and add to the soup for thickening. Salt and pepper to taste.

Makes 8 servings--356 calories per serving

The beans, kale, and tomatoes make it a great healthy soup....okay, with the sausage, not so much. But it is good without the sausage also,
  • MrsSullivan08
    MrsSullivan08 Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Bump for later :)
  • thegirl5200
    Options
    bump..great recipes..will return later
  • tuffytuffy1
    tuffytuffy1 Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    Bumpity bump :D
  • sgayz
    sgayz Posts: 1
    Options
    bump for later
  • kimhurt
    kimhurt Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • joeystace
    Options
    This Sounds delish, proper comfort food will defo give this a go, Thanks!
  • Goal_Seeker_1988
    Goal_Seeker_1988 Posts: 1,619 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • Sqeekyjojo
    Sqeekyjojo Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Jo's Japanese Mushroom Soup

Assorted Mushrooms - button, Shiitake, chestnut, enoki, Shimeji - whatever is in the shop or the bottom of the refrigerator.
    Stock - chicken, vegetable or dashi - whichever you prefer
    Tamari or shoyu - whatever you have
    Sake/Shaosing rice wine/dry sherry - whatever's in the cupboard
    Mirin - or extra Sake plus 1tsp of sugar
    Water
    Pinch Sea salt
    Greens - Cabbage/Bok Choi/Choy Sum/Sea Vegetables - whatever you have
    2 tsp Cornflour/Cornstarch

Put stock and enough water into a large pan/wok so that you have around 3 cups of liquid. Add around 1/3 cup tamari/shoyu/light soy, 1/3 sake/rice wine/sherry and continue to bring to boil. Halve, tear or leave mushrooms whole - it's up to you.

Put mushrooms in boiling soup base, add pinch of sea salt flakes and about 1/4 cup of mirin/sweetened sake. Taste the broth - if it needs a little more mirin, do it now.

Put the lid on and leave to simmer. It will begin to thicken slightly, but not a great deal. Once the mushrooms are tender, add chopped greens and leave to boil with the lid off.

Put the 2tsp of cornflour/cornstarch into a ladle and add a little of the soup to it, mixing well until it is smooth. Lower the ladle into the pan, gradually adding more liquid until the mixture blends seamlessly with the soup. Stir briefly and allow to thicken slightly (It's not a thick, gloopy Western soup, it's more of a silky, smooth broth) and serve.

You can use the basic soup recipe for any vegetables, seafood, salmon trimmings, scallops, shrimp, clams, cooked chicken that you have where you know it's not quite enough for a meal as it is. If you need a more filling meal, add a bundle of udon or soba noodles, and/or a block of tofu in pieces.

I think this is the lightest, most warming soup around, and whilst it's my 'own' recipe, I expect people have been doing this for far longer than I have.

[And please add me as a friend if you like]
  • Sqeekyjojo
    Sqeekyjojo Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Killer Tomato Soup

This one gets used as a soup when smooth, a sauce when not. My daughters named it Killer Tomato because its only downfall is you can't wear white clothes when eating it. And I do love my B Movie Creature Features.

1 medium onion, finely shredded/grated.
    1 tub sieved tomatoes/passata for smooth, 1 can tinned/tinned chopped tomatoes for a sauce.
    2 cups water
    2tsp soy/tamari/shoyu/light soy/Worcestershire sauce
    Pinch of sea salt
    Freshly ground pepper
    1tsp sugar
    1 chilli/Fresno pepper/Jalapeno, left whole but pierced a couple of times with the point of a knife
    1tsp vegetable/olive/canola oil

Cook the onion in the oil with a pinch of salt really gently and until the onion is soft and dark. That's what gives the depth of flavour.

Add the tomato,water, soy, bring to the boil, add the chilli pepper, reduce the heat, put on the lid and leave to gently bubble whilst you go and do something else for a few minutes. Break the tomatoes up with a wooden spoon if you get tinned ones.

If it shows signs of boiling dry/burning, add a little water.

When you come back, remove the chilli pepper carefully and taste the soup/sauce. If it's a bit 'thin', add the sugar.

Take the lid off, turn the heat up and boil rapidly whilst it reduces to a nice, thick consistency.

This base is great for a thousand variations;

The smooth one as a soup.

The thicker one as a superlight pasta sauce - add lean ground/minced meat or steamed chunks of courgette/zucchini, broccoli florets, tuna and sweetcorn, if liked - add tofu pieces, steamed pumpkin or rutabaga/swede/turnip

You could add a tsp of ground cinnamon, cumin and coriander seeds with the onion, then finish up by cracking some eggs onto the top, replacing the lid and leaving to cook in the residual heat before serving with flatbread for a Moroccan Eggs meal. (Fantastic for weekend breakfast)

Add curry powder/garam masala and a little extra turmeric and you have the lightest curry sauce, perfect for steamed potatoes to be added at the end with some spinach leaves.

The possibilities are endless with one Killer Tomato recipe.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    Haven't tried it yet, but this was published in the Detroit News yesterday and sounds wonderful.

Quick and Easy Chicken Wonton Soup

Serves 4 (generously)
    Prep Time 10 min – total time 20 minutes

2 packages (4 ounces each) shiitake mushrooms
    2 teaspoons canola oil
    6 ½ cups fat-free, low-sodium chicken broth
    About ½ bag (more if desired) chicken cilantro mini wontons (such as Trader Joes)
    2 tablespoons lower-sodium soy sauce
    ½ teaspoon sesame oil or hot chili oil (optional)
    2 cups coarsely chopped Napa cabbage
    3 green onions, washed, thinly sliced

Remove and discard the stems of the mushrooms, wipe clean with damp paper towel and cut into thin slices
    In medium saucepot, heat the canola oil. Add shiitakes and saute until soft.
    Pour in the broth and bring to a boil.
    Add wontons and cook for about 3 minutes.
    Reduce heat and stir in soy sauce and sesame or chili oil (if using), Napa cabbage and green onions.
    Simmer 2 minutes, remove from heat and serve

226 calories
    7 grams fat (1 gram saturated fat)
    28 grams carbohydrates
    15 grams protein
    634 mg sodium
    8mg cholesterol
    4 grams fiber
  • Thirstygirl
    Thirstygirl Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    bump

Haven't tried it yet, but this was published in the Detroit News yesterday and sounds wonderful.

Quick and Easy Chicken Wonton Soup

Serves 4 (generously)
    Prep Time 10 min – total time 20 minutes

2 packages (4 ounces each) shiitake mushrooms
    2 teaspoons canola oil
    6 ½ cups fat-free, low-sodium chicken broth
    About ½ bag (more if desired) chicken cilantro mini wontons (such as Trader Joes)
    2 tablespoons lower-sodium soy sauce
    ½ teaspoon sesame oil or hot chili oil (optional)
    2 cups coarsely chopped Napa cabbage
    3 green onions, washed, thinly sliced

Remove and discard the stems of the mushrooms, wipe clean with damp paper towel and cut into thin slices
    In medium saucepot, heat the canola oil. Add shiitakes and saute until soft.
    Pour in the broth and bring to a boil.
    Add wontons and cook for about 3 minutes.
    Reduce heat and stir in soy sauce and sesame or chili oil (if using), Napa cabbage and green onions.
    Simmer 2 minutes, remove from heat and serve

226 calories
    7 grams fat (1 gram saturated fat)
    28 grams carbohydrates
    15 grams protein
    634 mg sodium
    8mg cholesterol
    4 grams fiber
  • cupcakecutie1985
    cupcakecutie1985 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    bump:love:
  • ShrinkingChelle
    Options
    mmm I want to try this one :)
    I've got lots of recipes, some even under 100 cals a serving :P

My favourite at the moment is my Chicken & Sweetcorn soup (80 calories per serving), its very filling and delicious.

Ingredients
    300g lean chicken mince (I buy skinless breasts and mince them myself if I can't get lean mince)
    2 egg whites
    4 Chef’s Cupboard chicken stock cubes (buy these from Aldi, otherwise use two normal size Chicken stock/bouillon cubes)
    1.2 L Water
    1 x 410g can creamed corn
    75 g spring onions, thinly sliced
    1 tblspn Krummies Corn Flour
    3-4 tblspns cold water

Method
    1. Pour the water into a large, heavy based saucepan and crumble the stock cubes into it. Set on a high heat and bring to the boil, stirring occasionally.
    2. Meanwhile, whisk the egg whites briskly until they begin to form a soft foam. Do not whip them too much or they will form a meringue (they can still be used in this state, but the texture of the soup will be different)
    3. Stir egg through the chicken mince with the whisk, folding the mixture.
    4. Mix the corn flour with 3-4 tblspns tablespoons of cold water and stir to form a smooth paste.
    5. Empty the can of creamed corn into the stock, along with the spring onions, and stir well to combine. Once the corn is mixed in, add the cornflour paste and bring the mix back to the boil for a minute. You must stir this mixture constantly whilst it is boiling.
    6. Drop the heat back to a simmer, and add the chicken and egg mixture. Keep whisking the mixture to combine. Keep the pot on the simmer for a few minutes, stirring , whilst the egg and chicken cook.

This recipe makes ABOUT 1.5 L. I always split the recipe into 6 equal servings (so about 250mL).
    If you are on a calorie or sodium controlled diet please make sure you measure the soup in a heat proof 2L jug to determine the actual volume, and divide it by six to get your serving size… you can also add enough hot water to make the soup up to 1.5L if you come in under that volume.

Per serving (1/6 of recipe)
    80 calories
    3g protein
    0.65g Fat/0.07g saturated fat
    Carbs 13.9g, Sugars 4.37
    Sodium 547mg

You can significantly reduced the sodium content by using a reduced sodium bouillon cube.
  • merilynb111
    Options
    Great ot of recipes posted so far. I really like this one from the Dukin diet website

http://mydukandiet.com/recipes/courgette-and-basil-soup.html

We (down under Australia) call courgettes zucchinis. Because of its high water content it is a good soup vegie and at this time of the year here it is over taking the garden :)
  • Vickied84
    Vickied84 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    yum :)
  • rachelgoutos
    Options
    Tortellini Spinach Soup

4 cups chicken broth
    1 cup water
    tortellini (based on package servings)
    raw spinach (based on taste- the more spinach, the thicker the soup)

Bring chicken broth and water to boil, add tortellini and lower to simmer and cook per packaging.
    Once cooked, add spinach for about 1 minute, so that spinach is wilted.

This one is quick (takes me longer to eat than to cook it), easy and pretty low in calories and fat depending on the brand of tortellini and broth used, and # of servings cooked.

The original recipe calls for extra cheese on top, but I love this without the extra. Its super easy and its easy to have the ingredients on hand for when i get home late or just want some yummy soup quickly without resorting to ramen :-)

http://www.prevention.com/food/cook/healthy-dinner-recipes-easy-homemade-soups?cm_mmc=ETNTNL-_-769694-_-01062012-_-body
  • Pspetal
    Pspetal Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    6 vegetable soup

Made this today and it tastes amazing! Its also incredibly filling!

4 cups any colour peppers diced (Dice a cup of it finely and keep aside till the end)
    1 cup diced zucchini
    2 cups shredded cabbage
    1 cup diced Chinese Eggplant (long eggplants. Cut this last because they turn brown as soon as they're cut.)
    3 cups sliced mushrooms
    2 cups diced spinach
    1 cup onions
    1.5 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
    8-10 cloves garlic
    Crushed red peppers (as much as can be tolerated)
    2 tbsp lemon juice
    8gm or 1/2 package Clubhouse La Grille Chipotle Peppers Marinade
    1 container Campbell's no added salt chicken broth (very important that it be no salt added! the marinade has enough for the whole recipe)

Take a big pot and add the oil. Saute the onions once the oil heats up. Add the rest of the veggies and saute well. Keep one cup of peppers aside. Don't add it yet. Add the Chipotle Pepper marinade and garlic. Add the broth. Keep moving it around until its soft and almost cooked. Put the whole thing in a food processor and grind till it becomes a roughly ground paste. Add this point add the finely diced one cup of peppers and boil for a minute or two. Add the lemon juice and crushed peppers. Voila! Soup's ready! You can also keep a cup of any other vegetable aside to add at the end if you like.
    Optional - sprinkle some cheese or croutons on top before serving.

Makes about 7 servings of 1 cup each
    1 cup = 90 calories