What do you use to flavor your coffee?

Options
I'm trying to find something a little healthier to flavor my coffee with. I usually use coffee-mate hazelnut liquid creamer but it's not exactly healthy, I won't use soy milk anymore since I found out it's not good for you. I'm wondering if almond milk is healthy and if it would be enough flavor, if I use milk I would have to add sugar lol let me know if you have any ideas! Thanks!

Replies

• LaDiablesse
    LaDiablesse Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    I use the sugar free syrups that Torani has when I do drink coffee.
  • kaitimae
    kaitimae Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    What about buying flavored coffee? Dunkin Donuts, Folgers, and I'm sure other brands have great flavored coffees! The favorites in our office are Hazelnut and then also Cinnamon Spice. Just an idea! =)
  • jbdowns35
    Options
    I use powdered creamer with just a few drops of vanilla extract. I've been wondering about almond milk myself, I've seen some other MFPers using it in recipes & treats. I checked it out last night in the grocery store & Im pretty sure it's really good for you & only like 40 cal per cup. The only down fall is my grocery store only had half gallons & the carton said to use within 7 days of opening it. Don't know if it can be frozen? I also would like any input on ideas for coffee & what people think about almond milk.
  • adross3
    adross3 Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    Either non fat or 1% milk.
  • neil3125
    neil3125 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    splena and fat free half and half. its like nectar and ambrosia
  • Rikki444
    Rikki444 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I buy 'flavored' coffee beans.... add half & half.... mmmmm....
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I recently started adding vanilla protein powder (1/3 scoop, 8 grams of protein) and 1% milk.

I have used half unsweetened vanilla almond milk and 1% milk with a tsp of sugar, it comes out nice, but I like the taste and protein of the above option better.

Or if it is good coffee, Black.
  • auntiebabs
    auntiebabs Posts: 1,754 Member
    Options
    Either non fat or 1% milk.

That and a little cocoa powder.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    What's wrong with soy milk?
  • niftynicola
    Options
    a little bit of vanilla almond milk and cinnamon! yum!
  • LuckyGirl2422
    Options
    I'm trying to find something a little healthier to flavor my coffee with. I usually use coffee-mate hazelnut liquid creamer but it's not exactly healthy, I won't use soy milk anymore since I found out it's not good for you. I'm wondering if almond milk is healthy and if it would be enough flavor, if I use milk I would have to add sugar lol let me know if you have any ideas! Thanks!

what have you found out about soy milk and it not being good for you?
  • MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    I've never heard of anyone saying soy milk wasn't healthy unless they're allergic to soy. I buy silk pure almond and use that in my protein shakes but I'm sure it would work in coffee. I would still need to add sweetener. I usually use agave or truvia. Torani and Davinci also make SF syrups in a zillion flavors.

I personally use amaretto or sugar-free hazelnut creamer - the liquid ones. I don't think 2 tbsp is going to kill me.

Healthy is realative...its all in moderation. There are probably people who are just going to respond and tell you coffee isn't healthy either! (they don't know much lol)
  • Cherilea
    Cherilea Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    Cinnamon.
  • Valechka
    Options
    I like it to drink espresso just black with some cinnamon on top. Sometimes I add unsweeted almond milk and some of vanilla I use for baking. But at work I don't have it, we have just 2% milk and drip coffee..so sometimes I drink it too.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Yeah, what's wrong with soymilk? Almond milk is good though. I brew our coffee with about a teaspoon of cinnamon in the filter...add 1/2 tsp. of real sugar per 8 ounces and a little bit of half & half.
  • Sarah0866
    Sarah0866 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure why you're under the impression soy milk is bad for you, but I don't think it is at all as long as it's light or unsweetened(though I'd be happy to hear what anyone has to say about it because I do drink it :) ). From what I know, it's a great substitute for regular milk when it comes to building and repairing muscle (after a workout ) as it has a higher protein content than other alternatives like almond milk and rice milk; those sometimes only have 1-2 grams of protein.

If you enjoy your soy milk, I would continue having it, just a light or unsweetened version, like Soy Slender.
  • Teksavvy
    Teksavvy Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Soy contains a plant form of estrogen. Too much of a good thing is bad for men. I don't know its deleterious effects (if any) on women.
  • iAMaPhoenix
    iAMaPhoenix Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    Soy contains a plant form of estrogen. Too much of a good thing is bad for men. I don't know its deleterious effects (if any) on women.
    What does "deleterious" mean?
  • Dayquasar
    Dayquasar Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Check out this website about soy http://themilkblog.blogspot.com/2010/09/is-soy-milk-bad-for-you.html or just look it up, it's everywhere.

Just found out almond milk isn't great either,or make sure it doesn't have carrageenan as a thickening agent. It has been shown to be harmful to the stomach and intestines, and some forms can cause cancer.

Sorry I did not mean to start an argument :embarassed:
  • megmariew1
    Options
    I use vanilla almond milk. Very tasty :)