I dont eat my exercise calories...

Options
Alright so, i have seen a lot of arguments on here about whether or not you should eat all of your exercise calories back...I have been on MFP Since the beginning of August and i have not eaten my any of my calories back. I can say maybe once just for human error but, i normally don't ever eat my workout calories back. That seems like a lot! I honestly don't think I could even eat that much. For example, According to MFP, my daily caloric need is 1430. Today, i burned 727 calories (per my HRM) So that's a total of 2127 calories. There's NO WAY i want to eat that many calories! Shockingly enough, sometimes I have trouble eating 1400 calories. But I always make sure I get at least 1,200....My point is, I have lost a total of 15.8 lbs since Aug 3rd. (1.8 lbs not accounted for on here because weigh in day hasn't come around yet! so there might be more come Tuesday!) I guess it only works for some people? Others not so much? I don't know! Someone told me that, eating back your calories is for people who are maintaining, or for people who are closer to their goal weight. But Anyway, it's working for me, so i am going to keep it up! :) I am proud of what i have done because usually, i would "diet" for a week, then it would be done. I have kept this up for OVER a month and I couldn't be happier! This is my new life.

Replies

• Racquel89
    Options
    Wow that is interesting I thought it was a bit pointless to eat the calories you worked off! I am totally with you on this one!
  • Armygirl67
    Armygirl67 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I don`t eat it back either,,
  • juggalotus
    Options
    Wow that is interesting I thought it was a bit pointless to eat the calories you worked off! I am totally with you on this one!

Yeah i find it pointless as well. Seems like taking 10 steps back when you eat back the calories you just burned off!! Seriously. I don't know....And not to mention, i feel like **** when i eat when I'm not hungry. Im not going to force myself to eat all those calories back when I'm not even hungry in the first place....I hate feeling yucky like that.
  • MarieAnneN
    Options
    Figure it like that, your target is, let's say, 1500 cals to be able to loose 2 lbs per week WITHOUT exercise. SO you can, if you want to loose more and tone and be more healthy, exercise and then add up more cals to your daily intake.
    You don't have to eat it all back but your body Needs fuel to be able to workout hard and also, you son't want to over starve yourself so that when you get back in maintain, you gain all the weight back because your body thinks he was starved for too long and now adds up all the fat he can to be ready for next starvation...

Am I making any sense here?
    I am telling all this because I experienced it and lived it, and it is no fun at all!
  • jessbennett1986
    Options
    It really does depend on how much weight you need to lose. If you need to lose alot, then of course you shouldn't eat most of your exercise calories. But if you only have 5-15 lbs, then it's suggested that you do. It also depends on the person. For me, eating at least half back has been key for my weight loss. If I don't eat back half, then my weight loss stalls, even though I'm eating only 1200 to 1400 a day. It's a trial and error type of deal. Also, the more muscle you put on, the more calories you need. Muscle burns more calories at rest than fat does.
  • carey1932
    carey1932 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    me neither
  • trixylewis
    trixylewis Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    GASP!!!! neither do i, lol
  • michielmouse
    Options
    I don't always eat them back. The way I see it, make sure you at LEAST hit your daily goal on the days you exercise. That way you know you're not depriving your body of what it needs. Then, if I'm hungry after a work out, I eat some more. I've lost 47 pounds, and I don't think I've ever eaten all of my exercise calories, it just seems like too much.
  • seasonalvoodoo
    seasonalvoodoo Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Well, it is true that the more weight you have to lose the higher deficit your body can handle.

That being said, I started out with a lot of weight to lose, but still ate back my exercise calories and still do to this day and I have lost 57 lbs.

I do think it is important to eat them back to fuel your workouts. It's not that you are just eating back what you just burned...it's more like you are eating more so that you can continue to work out harder and better for longer periods of time. And I mean over a long period of time. Like I said, higher deficits initially work, but once your body realizes you are not giving it enough fuel, well, that's where the problems start. Your metabolism may slow and no one wants that.
  • juggalotus
    Options
    Ok, some of you are making sense, but seriously...I honestly could not force myself to eat over 2,000 calories. If i am not hungry, i am not hungry...My body is NOT telling me it wants more food. It's telling me I am full and satisfied. i am not starving myself at all. I figure once i get closer and closer to my GW, i will slowly start to eat my calories back....not all of the sudden, gradually...you know what i mean? A nice, smooth transition....
  • albinogorilla
    albinogorilla Posts: 1,056 Member
    Options
    Alright so, i have seen a lot of arguments on here about whether or not you should eat all of your exercise calories back...I have been on MFP Since the beginning of August and i have not eaten my any of my calories back. I can say maybe once just for human error but, i normally don't ever eat my workout calories back. That seems like a lot! I honestly don't think I could even eat that much. For example, According to MFP, my daily caloric need is 1430. Today, i burned 727 calories (per my HRM) So that's a total of 2127 calories. There's NO WAY i want to eat that many calories! Shockingly enough, sometimes I have trouble eating 1400 calories. But I always make sure I get at least 1,200....My point is, I have lost a total of 15.8 lbs since Aug 3rd. (1.8 lbs not accounted for on here because weigh in day hasn't come around yet! so there might be more come Tuesday!) I guess it only works for some people? Others not so much? I don't know! Someone told me that, eating back your calories is for people who are maintaining, or for people who are closer to their goal weight. But Anyway, it's working for me, so i am going to keep it up! :) I am proud of what i have done because usually, i would "diet" for a week, then it would be done. I have kept this up for OVER a month and I couldn't be happier! This is my new life.

people keep saying "There's NO WAY i want to eat that many calories! Shockingly enough, sometimes I have trouble eating 1400 calories" hate to break it to you, but the reason we are all here is because we have been eating way more than that for a long time..............
  • juggalotus
    Options

people keep saying "There's NO WAY i want to eat that many calories! Shockingly enough, sometimes I have trouble eating 1400 calories" hate to break it to you, but the reason we are all here is because we have been eating way more than that for a long time..............

Well yeah, I know that....So why would i want to go back to my old habits? Maybe it's a mental thing but I honestly feel like **** If i eat even some of my exercise calories back...I don't want to feel that way at all.
  • routerguy666
    Options
    the reason we are all here is because we have been eating way more than that for a long time..............

True, but it is harder to pull it off eating relatively clean too. You could chow down 2000 calories in a value meal for lunch before. Doing it with fruits and veggies and lean meat takes a lot more work.
  • lclarkjr
    lclarkjr Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Good for you and congrats on your success thus far. I do eat my exercise calories and do believe that it varies from person to person on just how many calories your body needs per day naturally. MFP isn't really a one size fits all program. If it is working for you, why change it? Just focus on your goals and do what seems to be working for you. If it something stops working, change it up.

But obviously there are so many misconceptions on this website regarding exercise calories and I won't even touch them. But for me, the reason I eat my exercise calories is because I am not strictly focused on losing weight. I care about my overall fitness as well. My goal is to be stronger, faster, and healthier. My free time is limited so my 3-4 weekly workouts are really intense just so I can get the most out of the little time I have. I wouldn't be able to work out as hard or as long if I didn't eat back my exercise calories. MFP already created the caloric deficit for me that I need to lose my 1lb per week. I could sit on my couch instead of going to the gym and still get that weight loss result, provided I stay under my calorie goal. But fitness and weight loss aren't the same thing. Everyone has different goals and I wish everyone all the success in the world in achieving them. But for me fitness and performance trumps weight loss...Every. Single. Day.
  • albinogorilla
    albinogorilla Posts: 1,056 Member
    Options

Well yeah, I know that....So why would i want to go back to my old habits? Maybe it's a mental thing but I honestly feel like **** If i eat even some of my exercise calories back...I don't want to feel that way at all.

doesn't make a difference to me, but if you are logging bother exercise and food accurately, you should eat the calories back. The website already has you at a deficit, mine for example is 1000 calories per day, to lose 2lbs per week (this is the max healthy amount of weight to lose) So, that means if i were to exercise and didn't eat the calories back then I would lose more than the max of 2lbs per week. To lose 1 lb per week you need a 500 calorie deficit every day. A deficit over 1000 is not good for you, at that point nutrition suffers and other tissues are lost, muscle, etc.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    It's an individual choice whether you want to eat them back or not, but I think a lot of people just don't understand how MFP is set up.

Your daily calorie allowance is calculated to give you a calorie deficit so you will lose weight without any exercise.
    If you exercise and eat those calories, you will still lose weight. You have kept your calorie deficit at the same level.
    If you exercise and don't eat those calories you have given yourself a larger (sometimes much larger) deficit.

Your body may respond well to a very big calorie deficit, especially if you are just starting out and have lots of weight to lose.
    Or, it might think you are undereating and respond by slowing your metabolism to function on less calories.

So, it will be different for everybody. Personally I have always eaten my exercise calories because I didn't want to create a huge deficit. I wanted to get my body/metabolism used to eating a regular amount of food, and I know that I would not stick to a plan where I have to cut calories dramatically - I've done that in the past and always given up. This time, I've tracked my calories for 8 months, I'm close to goal and feeling like this is something I can keep going with.
    And, I don't see the point in cutting calories more than you need to - you will just be hungry, risk missing out on important nutrition and aren't learning good habits for the long term.

So, it's your choice how you want to eat, just make sure you understand what is happening to your body and try for yourself to see how your body responds.
  • juggalotus
    Options
    I forgot to add that my mother lost about 100lbs over 5 years ago NOT eating her calories back ( i asked her) and she's kept it off ever since.
  • juggalotus
    Options
    It's an individual choice whether you want to eat them back or not, but I think a lot of people just don't understand how MFP is set up.

Your daily calorie allowance is calculated to give you a calorie deficit so you will lose weight without any exercise.
    If you exercise and eat those calories, you will still lose weight. You have kept your calorie deficit at the same level.
    If you exercise and don't eat those calories you have given yourself a larger (sometimes much larger) deficit.

Your body may respond well to a very big calorie deficit, especially if you are just starting out and have lots of weight to lose.
    Or, it might think you are undereating and respond by slowing your metabolism to function on less calories.

So, it will be different for everybody. Personally I have always eaten my exercise calories because I didn't want to create a huge deficit. I wanted to get my body/metabolism used to eating a regular amount of food, and I know that I would not stick to a plan where I have to cut calories dramatically - I've done that in the past and always given up. This time, I've tracked my calories for 8 months, I'm close to goal and feeling like this is something I can keep going with.
    And, I don't see the point in cutting calories more than you need to - you will just be hungry, risk missing out on important nutrition and aren't learning good habits for the long term.

So, it's your choice how you want to eat, just make sure you understand what is happening to your body and try for yourself to see how your body responds.

That makes sense, but let me ask you this...would i be able to just ease into eating my calories back? Like, after iv'e gotten closer to my goal weight? Say when i hit 200lbs......can I slowly start to eat my calories back?
  • Saruman_w
    Saruman_w Posts: 1,531 Member
    Options
    Neither do I, unless I'm feeling hungry. If I'm not, I won't eat.
  • seasonalvoodoo
    seasonalvoodoo Posts: 380 Member
    Options

That makes sense, but let me ask you this...would i be able to just ease into eating my calories back? Like, after iv'e gotten closer to my goal weight? Say when i hit 200lbs......can I slowly start to eat my calories back?

If that is the way you choose to do it, then yes. If you are not eating any cals back up until that point then I would definitely recommend doing it gradually. Add 100-200 for a couple of weeks and then keep doing it from there.

No one can make you eat your calories back, but the above poster is right in stating that MFP has you set up to lose weight even if you sat on the couch all day. Exercising is a bonus and not accounted for in your deficit.