Walking = Exercise?

Options
13»

Replies

• mowu
    mowu Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    If it's not covered by your daily activity (sedentary, lightly active and so on...) it surely is exercise, but as with all other exercises one should subtract the number of calories one would have burned anyway (for me that's about 100 calories/hour), and seeing as walking is often relatively low intensity it may be misleading to just trust blindly in MFP when it hands you e.g. 600 calories for a 2 hour walk.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Ok, I feel I definitely need to preface this a little bit. I understannd 100% that for many people, especially in the beginning, or for someone who is obese, walking is a great exercise and extremely productive! Walking is an excellent way to get up and start moving.

My question is specifically for people who are in decent shape. For someone who can run several miles at a time, does 5k's, half-marathons and such, do you think it is acurate to consider a 30/60 minute walk exercise? Or, is it that peson just having a lazy day and not wanting to "really" exercise and just having a leisurely stroll?

Trying to get objective opinions....

it definitely counts. I am sometimes like that on a sunday, dont want to run or have a proper work out, so me and my boyfriend have a walk round the park. and if it is just leisurely then you can log a leisurely speed!

it only counts if its EXTRA to what you already do though. for example, walking the dog doesnt count unless its an extra walk on top of the usual. some people count walking to the bus stop or walking round the shops etc, but i wouldnt.
  • goron59
    goron59 Posts: 890 Member
    Options
    I declare myself sedentary in MFP and record all meaningful exercise, including my walks to/from work.

It's not such an effective use of time any more, but it's better for me and cheaper than taking the bus.
  • iwillsoonbeslim
    Options
    Wow. Judgemental much? Walking is my main form of exercise. Fast walking, of around 4mph, long distance walking of up to 25 miles a day, hill walking of up to 10 hours at a time, and mountain climbing over terrain you've probably never seen in your life lol lol lol Walk a day in MY shoes, and then see what you think about logging it as exercise!
  • kardeamad
    Options
    Ok, I feel I definitely need to preface this a little bit. I understannd 100% that for many people, especially in the beginning, or for someone who is obese, walking is a great exercise and extremely productive! Walking is an excellent way to get up and start moving.

My question is specifically for people who are in decent shape. For someone who can run several miles at a time, does 5k's, half-marathons and such, do you think it is acurate to consider a 30/60 minute walk exercise? Or, is it that peson just having a lazy day and not wanting to "really" exercise and just having a leisurely stroll?

Trying to get objective opinions....
    Put a heart rate monitor on and go for a walk for an hour :smile: