AmyNVegas Posts: 2,215 Member
This is one of my favorite recipes.

Creamy Mashed Cauliflower

1 lb bag of frozen Cauliflower
1 oz fat free cream cheese
1 Tbsp real butter
sea salt to taste
pepper and garlic powder to taste

Boil or steam frozen cauliflower until soft. Drain and add all other ingredients and mash together.

This makes a great side dish and my sister made it for her hubby and kids and they did not even know it was not potatoes at first. I use real butter in moderation to avoid the trans fats. Even the margarines that say they are trans fat free are not. They almost all say hydrogenated or partially hydrgenated oils which are trans fats.

Replies

• AmyNVegas
    Options
    This is one of my favorite recipes.

Creamy Mashed Cauliflower

1 lb bag of frozen Cauliflower
    1 oz fat free cream cheese
    1 Tbsp real butter
    sea salt to taste
    pepper and garlic powder to taste

Boil or steam frozen cauliflower until soft. Drain and add all other ingredients and mash together.

This makes a great side dish and my sister made it for her hubby and kids and they did not even know it was not potatoes at first. I use real butter in moderation to avoid the trans fats. Even the margarines that say they are trans fat free are not. They almost all say hydrogenated or partially hydrgenated oils which are trans fats.
  • Wolfena
    Wolfena Posts: 1,570 Member
    Options
    That sounds really good!

I have a head of cauliflower in my fridge I was going to use for soup.... but maybe it has a new destiny now
    :bigsmile:
  • Bride092909
    Options
    sounds really yummy....I think this will be part of our supper tonight

98244.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Easy Calorie Counting
  • joann
    joann Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    I use cauliflower alot instead of potatoes. I even put fat free beef gray on it.
    Have you ever tried spraying pan in a frying pan and cooking the mashed cauliflower like a potatoe pan cake...
  • jacmiley
    jacmiley Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I have those cook books that you hide veggies in food. You can mix cauliflower in mashed potatoes which is something more like I would do cause alone I hate cauliflower but if I hide it.. I think I can deal
  • anony999
    anony999 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this! I just had a very similar recipe at Christmas, everyone thought they were watery mashed potatoes (but very tasty!). I want to try it on my own but maybe drain it better...
  • Jackie_W
    Jackie_W Posts: 1,676 Member
    Options
    I've made this before - it's yummy :bigsmile:
  • ness13hill
    Options
    I am going to try this. This sounds really good! Thanks!
  • Renea101
    Options
    That looks great. I make these also just a bit different. I use fat free half and half and I can't believe it's not butter - so I am going to try yours out also.
  • AmyNVegas
    Options
    I used to make them with half and half too but then a friend told me about the cream cheese. Now I love them even more and they don't get watery. I will have to try them fried like a potato cake hadn't thought about that! Yum!:smile:
  • Renea101
    Options
    That is a great point. I will definately try the cream cheese AND the potato cake that sounds good.
  • JunaiGekido
    Options
    So many good recipes on here. Thanks Amy!
  • stephica
    stephica Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I use cauliflower alot instead of potatoes. I even put fat free beef gray on it.
    Have you ever tried spraying pan in a frying pan and cooking the mashed cauliflower like a potatoe pan cake...

That sounds SO good! Thanks for the suggestion! Mmm.
  • SatelliteCrush80
    SatelliteCrush80 Posts: 3,575 Member
    Options
    I made these to have with my dinner tonight and they are great! I was always pretty neutral on cauliflower before, but this makes me actually enjoy it!

Thanks! :flowerforyou:
  • AmyNVegas
    Options
    Glad you liked them. I'm having them Wednesday. Yum!
  • loomoyer
    Options
    Great idea! I have a very picky three year old who likes mashed potatoes. Do you know what the calorie count is on this?
  • stephica
    stephica Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    bump
  • LightenUp_Caro
    LightenUp_Caro Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I LOVE THIS, but instead of cream cheese, I use Fage yogurt!!!

SO SO SO SO good, and boosts the protein up! (i love my protein!)
    :drinker: :flowerforyou: :drinker: :flowerforyou: :drinker:
  • Georg
    Georg Posts: 1,728 Member
    Options
    I make this, too, but I cook fresh cauliflower in the micowave, then smash with some sour cream, grated cheese & butter.
    Just use your fav low fat versions.
  • chellebelle315
    Options
    That looks great. I make these also just a bit different. I use fat free half and half and I can't believe it's not butter - so I am going to try yours out also.

what exactly is in Fat Free Half and Half? by definition isn't it half heavy cream... that scares me. Will have to read a label next time I'm at the grocery store...

but this recipe sounds yummy....will have to put cauliflower on my next shopping list :smile: