Creamy Mashed Cauliflower

Options
2»

Replies

• LosingIt4good
    LosingIt4good Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    I put this into my calculator as 2 servings because I havent made it yet and am not sure how many it makes. I used 1 small head of cauliflower in the calculations and it said it was 136 calories per serving as the recipe is now. If it goes further than 2 servings then its obviously less cals.

Gonna sneak this in on hubby this weekend and see if he notices. He likes cauliflower so either way Im sure he'll be happy.

Thanks for sharing Amy!
  • dturner1224
    Options
    This is one of my favorite recipes.

Creamy Mashed Cauliflower

1 lb bag of frozen Cauliflower
    1 oz fat free cream cheese
    1 Tbsp real butter
    sea salt to taste
    pepper and garlic powder to taste

Boil or steam frozen cauliflower until soft. Drain and add all other ingredients and mash together.

This makes a great side dish and my sister made it for her hubby and kids and they did not even know it was not potatoes at first. I use real butter in moderation to avoid the trans fats. Even the margarines that say they are trans fat free are not. They almost all say hydrogenated or partially hydrgenated oils which are trans fats.

Do you have any idea of the breakdown for this food or is it listed in the recipie file, under what name?
    Thanks
    Deb
  • csnealey
    csnealey Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • mrsyac2
    mrsyac2 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options
    aw man I just got excited until I saw cream cheese- So guess I can't have this.

Well atleast there are other options rather than mashed potatoes
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    If you want them to be really SMOOOTH, put them in your blender. A food processor might work as well, but I don't have one, and the blender works fine. I discovered this method of preparing cauliflower during the time I was doing Adkins. We had it in lieu of mashed potatoes for a holiday dinner. I mixed it about 2/3 cauliflower and 1/3 potatoes--used yukon golds as they have a stronger potato flavor (to me) than red or white ones.

Anyway the biggest cauliflower hater at the table had 2 helpings and flipped when I told him what was in "those great mashed potatoes.":laugh:
  • chellebelle315
    Options
    If you want them to be really SMOOOTH, put them in your blender. A food processor might work as well, but I don't have one, and the blender works fine. I discovered this method of preparing cauliflower during the time I was doing Adkins. We had it in lieu of mashed potatoes for a holiday dinner. I mixed it about 2/3 cauliflower and 1/3 potatoes--used yukon golds as they have a stronger potato flavor (to me) than red or white ones.

Anyway the biggest cauliflower hater at the table had 2 helpings and flipped when I told him what was in "those great mashed potatoes.":laugh:

You could make it without the cream cheese...if you don't do dairy you could use a little chicken or vegetable stock...or if its just the cream cheese try subbing greek yogurt...i use it in pretty much anything that needs a creamier texture.
  • BlazinEmerald
    Options
    I also use laughing cow cheese in mine to add a creaminess and extra flavour :bigsmile:
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Laughing Cow--what a great idea!! And maybe the cow is laughing at all the cauliflower haters that she will convert!!!
  • April0815
    April0815 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    What is the name of the book you spoke about?
  • April0815
    April0815 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    I have those cook books that you hide veggies in food. You can mix cauliflower in mashed potatoes which is something more like I would do cause alone I hate cauliflower but if I hide it.. I think I can deal

What is the name of the book you have? I would love that.
  • 5KNohno
    5KNohno Posts: 503
    Options
    Just made these with salt, pepper, reduced fat sour cream, and a little fat free cream cheese (which I usually hate), and a few sprays of I Can't Believe It's Not Butter. My girls (5 and 2) were literally fighting over it! My boys, not so much, but I think that's because they knew it was cauliflower. Next time I won't tell them or might try 1/3 potatoes 2/3 cauliflower. Just used what I had on hand today, but I'm going to try different variations - reduced fat sharp cheddar, feta, parmesan, garlic, etc. Heard about this for years, but just never got around to trying it because I like it raw so I didn't see the point of spending the time to make it but now I'll definitely do it again. :smile:
  • AmyNVegas
    AmyNVegas Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    They are great with Mrs. Dash Table Blend the flavor really makes them taste more like mashed potatoes than cauliflower if you have picky eaters.
  • AmyNVegas
    AmyNVegas Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

Do you have any idea of the breakdown for this food or is it listed in the recipie file, under what name?
    Thanks
    Deb
    [/quote]

Deb I just added a fourth of each ingredient since it makes about 4 servings. Hope that helps.