Blue Diamond Almonds Calorie Alert

Options
Like many MFP'ers out there, I'm a big fan of Blue Diamond almonds (Smokehouse, Wasabi, Chocolate, you name it). I'm a bit disturbed that their nutritional label is inaccurate. They claim that a serving is 28g/28nuts. However, I have repeatedly weighed different samples on my accurate digital scale, and I have never been able to squeeze more than 11 almonds into a 14 gram weighing. This means that a full serving is acutally 22, not 28, nuts. That's an error of 21%!!

Replies

• elizabethblake
    elizabethblake Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    *kitten*!!!
  • Panda86
    Panda86 Posts: 873
    Options
    I know there must be some wiggle-room for error, since not every nut is the same size and weight... but if you've weighed different samples, and still got the same outcome, I would say that's a little weird... but I am pretty sure most companies do that, unfortunately.
  • cschu544
    cschu544 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    that's really annoying. i love those things
  • slimdownspicey
    slimdownspicey Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    i wonder if this effects the 100 calorie packs!
  • ignatiusreilly
    ignatiusreilly Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I am sure there is some room for error, considering not every nut is exactly the same size and weight?

I have taken multiple samples (at least 10) from different varieties.
  • Nomomush
    Nomomush Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    I started weighing EVERYTHING and also found that protein powder says one scoop or XX grams...so I weighed the XX grams and it was almost 3/4 of the scoop ONLY...not a whole scoop. Darn those companies. Goes to show that the most accurate way to know how much we are truly eating is by weight.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    SUE THEM! THEY WANT US ALL TO BE FAT!
  • ralison
    ralison Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I was questioning that myself. I had the wasabi ones this past weekend and couldn't believe that the package contained 6 servings of 28 almonds for each serving.
  • MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    It really makes me wonder how many other labels have some inaccurate information. Who checks this? Are they checked at all? Do we just believe what they tell us?
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I know there must be some wiggle-room for error, since not every nut is the same size and weight... but if you've weighed different samples, and still got the same outcome, I would say that's a little weird... but I am pretty sure most companies do that, unfortunately.

Yeah, I agree. I've always just eaten fewer if they look large. But I've been eating them and losing so I'm going to keep my head in the sand on this one.
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    SUE THEM! THEY WANT US ALL TO BE FAT!

I KNEW IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • yummy♥
    yummy♥ Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    i understand your frustration.
    i think it's very important to examine nuts carefully before putting them in your mouth.
  • LATeagno
    LATeagno Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    Outrage! I think this scam is what is making America so fat!
  • MassiveDelta
    Options
    I found that the EAS Soy Vanilla protien was inaccurate. the scoop amount was less then what the label suggested and it wasn't by half suggesting 2 scoops
  • MassiveDelta
    Options
    i think it's very important to examine nuts carefully before putting them in your mouth.
    Every nut? Or just those that are still in bags?
  • Xaspar
    Xaspar Posts: 726 Member
    Options

bwahahahah
  • scott1024
    scott1024 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I'm going home to weigh my nuts...
  • Nanadena
    Nanadena Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    Tyson's Grilled and Ready chicken breast fillets list a serving size as 1 piece (98g) There is not ONE piece int the bag that weighs 98 grams. They all weigh more!:noway:
  • Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Options
    Like many MFP'ers out there, I'm a big fan of Blue Diamond almonds (Smokehouse, Wasabi, Chocolate, you name it). I'm a bit disturbed that their nutritional label is inaccurate. They claim that a serving is 28g/28nuts. However, I have repeatedly weighed different samples on my accurate digital scale, and I have never been able to squeeze more than 11 almonds into a 14 gram weighing. This means that a full serving is acutally 22, not 28, nuts. That's an error of 21%!!

Unrelated, but LOVED "Confederacy of Dunces"!

Great book/screen name! :bigsmile:
  • DesireeLovesOrganic
    Options

LMAO!