Blue Diamond Almonds Calorie Alert

Options

Replies

• brucedelaney
    brucedelaney Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    If I have a choice between volume measure and weight measure I ALWAYS go with weight. It's definitely a much more precise measurement using a digital scale over a count of an item or using a measuring cup.
  • CaptainMFP
    CaptainMFP Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    You need to remember that when calorie analyses are done on food it is done as a function of MASS (i.e. per gram not nut). Since 28 g is approximately 1 oz. and this is a very standard portion size for foods like nuts, I suspect the nutritional information is highly accurate for a 28 g serving...ALL food that comes in pieces (nuts, chips, berries, shredded cheese, cereal, etc.) is going to have a count or volume error tied to unavoidable variation in piece size. If you have a scale you should use it for EVERYTHING if you want accurate estimates of your calories. By counting nuts or cereal biscuits or by using volume measurements of things like fruit you are taking your chances with expanded user error. Measure the mass with a balance/scale and you will always get your best estimates. :wink:
  • Steelytop
    Steelytop Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Never trust a corporation unless you have a reason to trust them. Why? Because their main goal is to make money no matter what. I don't think I need to drive that point home. It's just completely obvious that much of the nutritional information isn't accurate or is just guessing especially out and about at restaurants and fast food places. Even products on the shelves at the super market may have this problem.

Not that long ago some I saw the article listed below my post about Taco Bell's beef only containing 35% beef and they are getting sued over it. No one is on the side of the consumer because that might mean someone loses their job. And this is pretty much across the board for our fair nation on a variety of subjects. If you believe what you're being told by 'most' places I have some prime real-estate I'd like to sell you. (Swampland) :)

Personally, I think it's funny that anyone ever trusted these people in the first place. Let's just call it conflict of interest. I think if you pry back the wall and look inside the places that make food (I never eat at Taco Bell anyway) and actually see inside the kitchens and also see the REAL numbers adding up when we eat out, we'd go back to our old ways a few decades ago of holding our dollars a little more closely.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1350494/Taco-Bell-beef-contains-35-meat-lawsuit-claims.html
  • ppiinnkkmmoonn
    Options
    i understand your frustration.
    i think it's very important to examine nuts carefully before putting them in your mouth.

LMAO:laugh: (what? it was so ramdom lol)
  • scott1024
    scott1024 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Tyson's Grilled and Ready chicken breast fillets list a serving size as 1 piece (98g) There is not ONE piece int the bag that weighs 98 grams. They all weigh more!:noway:

I agree it also difficult to standardize breast sizes. I think you can go with a standard and assume that sometimes you will get more and sometimes you will get less.
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    It is not just the almonds....every packaged food does this. If they test sample the products for weight and they come up short of what the package says they get fined big time. They are allowed a +20% difference going over though without a fine! Yes it throws us off if we are trying to watch what we eat, but it costs less in the long run to overfill the package a little than to keep paying the fines. That is one of the reasons I usually don't buy the "100 cal" packs of anything, you go over on cals without thinking about it, and you also pay more for the extra packaging.
  • ignatiusreilly
    ignatiusreilly Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    That is one of the reasons I usually don't buy the "100 cal" packs of anything, you go over on cals without thinking about it, and you also pay more for the extra packaging.

Definitely don't buy the 100-cal packs of Blue Diamond -- Walmart has one-pound bags at a great price. I eat them 11-almonds at a time (80-85 calories, depending on variety) and it comes out to a small fraction of the price of the 100-cal packs.
  • MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    one pound nut bags...DAMN!
  • kennethmgreen
    kennethmgreen Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    Like many MFP'ers out there, I'm a big fan of Blue Diamond almonds (Smokehouse, Wasabi, Chocolate, you name it). I'm a bit disturbed that their nutritional label is inaccurate. They claim that a serving is 28g/28nuts. However, I have repeatedly weighed different samples on my accurate digital scale, and I have never been able to squeeze more than 11 almonds into a 14 gram weighing. This means that a full serving is acutally 22, not 28, nuts. That's an error of 21%!!
    Wow. What an Ignatius Reilly type post.

Username, avatar, life all converging....
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    i think it's very important to examine nuts carefully before putting them in your mouth.

Perfect advice! HAHAHAHA
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Never trust a corporation unless you have a reason to trust them. Why? Because their main goal is to make money no matter what. I don't think I need to drive that point home. It's just completely obvious that much of the nutritional information isn't accurate or is just guessing especially out and about at restaurants and fast food places. Even products on the shelves at the super market may have this problem.

Not that long ago some I saw the article listed below my post about Taco Bell's beef only containing 35% beef and they are getting sued over it. No one is on the side of the consumer because that might mean someone loses their job. And this is pretty much across the board for our fair nation on a variety of subjects. If you believe what you're being told by 'most' places I have some prime real-estate I'd like to sell you. (Swampland) :)

Personally, I think it's funny that anyone ever trusted these people in the first place. Let's just call it conflict of interest. I think if you pry back the wall and look inside the places that make food (I never eat at Taco Bell anyway) and actually see inside the kitchens and also see the REAL numbers adding up when we eat out, we'd go back to our old ways a few decades ago of holding our dollars a little more closely.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1350494/Taco-Bell-beef-contains-35-meat-lawsuit-claims.html
    I just want to point out that the Taco Bell lawsuit was dropped after about 2 months because a review of the facts showed that it had no merit, and the claim of "only 35% meat" was completely fictitious and invented by the plaintiffs, and the law firm that filed the suit filed it without actually checking the facts first (they assumed that Taco Bell would just settle to avoid publicity.) After 3rd party testing proved it's falsehood, the firm withdrew the suit.

Also, for the OP. Nutrition labels are an average of a representative sample based on serving weight. The "count" they offer is just an estimate based on approximate size of an individual piece, that's why it says "about x pieces." To be honest, 2 almonds that weight exactly the same could have slightly different nutritional totals. None of this is an exact science.
  • lizardlizzie
    Options
    All nut-weighing jokes I could make aside, thanks for the heads up! I was just about to eat some as a snack, and made sure to weigh to double check. 22 almonds was 1 oz on the dot. Weird!
  • carin_cress
    carin_cress Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info, very useful!
  • Edithrenee
    Edithrenee Posts: 546 Member
    Options

LOL
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    Must be the flavor coatings doing that. I get plain, unsalted, roasted almonds in bulk and always get 19-21 for the 20g packs I portion out for myself.
  • tbudge
    tbudge Posts: 114
    Options
    that is one of the funniest things I've read in a long time...thanks for the laugh!!! :laugh:
  • jellycar
    Options
    That totally just ruined my Friday...
  • SheCantWeight
    SheCantWeight Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    shoot i eat those things all the time!
  • BenKnowsFitness
    BenKnowsFitness Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Nuts are good all the way around. Slignt over runs or under runs on small servings are not a concern too me. For the discerning cal tracker I understand the need to get it right and the scale is the way to go. Though there is something to be said for accuracy there too. Now you got me thinking I need to get a set of calibration weights for my scale. Man, I think I am going nuts here..
  • hamncheese67
    hamncheese67 Posts: 1,715 Member
    Options
    My bag of Blue Diamond Natural Oven Roasted Almonds dark chocolate says it's 28 g or 24 almonds and I just weighed four different sets of 12 almonds for 13 g each time.