where were you at on 9-11 ?

Options
Sherrylynn69
Sherrylynn69 Posts: 48 Member
I thought I would start a new thread, because of sunday being the 11th. Does everyone remember where they were? what
they were doing? I was at a field trip with my daughter's 3rd grade class at the county fair. The vendors, were watching
small tvs, and us mothers were trying to hear what was going on. The teacher asked us to please try not, to let the children
hear what was going on. When, we got back to the school , everyone was in the hallway, some crying, some just looking
scared wondering if our town would be next. What a sad day in the USA history. I pray for all of those who were touched by
losing someone they loved, god bless you all.

Here's a poem I just saw on the internet, thought it was fitting for this thread.

We Shall Never Forget (9-11 Tribute)

Let the world always remember,
That fateful day in September,
And the ones who answered duties call,
Should be remembered by us all.

Who left the comfort of their home,
To face perils as yet unknown,
An embodiment of goodness on a day,
When men's hearts had gone astray.

Sons and daughters like me and you,
Who never questioned what they had to do,
Who by example, were a source of hope,
And strength to others who could not cope.

Heroes that would not turn their back,
With determination that would not crack,
Who bound together in their ranks,
And asking not a word of thanks.

Men who bravely gave their lives,
Whose orphaned kids and widowed wives,
Can proudly look back on their dad,
Who gave this country all they had.

Actions taken without regret,
Heroisms we shall never forget,
The ones who paid the ultimate price,
Let's never forget their sacrifice.

And never forget the ones no longer here,
Who fought for the freedoms we all hold dear,
And may their memory never wane,
Lest their sacrifices be in vain.

Alan W. Jankowski

Replies

• wbgolden
    wbgolden Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    My 3 year old son and I were out on a long walk. When we got home, my wife (at the time) was completely freaking out. And for good reason.
  • Jelleebean
    Options
    i was back living with my mom, and she was away for the week at her brothers.... so, i hadn't turned on the tv.... logged into msn, and a friend in scotland told me.... i turned on the tv just in time to see the 2nd tower come down... i couldn't look away... i thought i was watching a movie.

my heart goes out to those that were lost, and to those that lost.
  • kportelli70
    Options
    I was at home going crazy cause my hubby was supposed to fly home that day from MN. But he ended up being stranded there for 5 extra days. It was a very sad and emotional day.
    At that time he was a computer consultant and flew every week and he continued to do that up until 2 years ago. Im so glad he doesn't fly anymore.
  • KellyBurton1
    KellyBurton1 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I was actually on my honeymoon, I live in newfoundland where all the planes got diverted here. Very scary and heart break breaking.
  • balowry1
    Options
    I worked for a contractor for the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office in Falls Church, VA. I was at work being a real busy bee when I heard about what was going on. My mother, on the other hand, worked at the Pentagon. She was lucky enough not to be in the section that got hit. They let us off early. When I got home, I asked my dad if he heard the news, but he was too busy with other stuff, so he didn't. My mom said it was chaotic. We couldn't get a hold of her, nor could she call us. I was so worried, until she came walking into the house.
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    All this talk is just making me angry again. Sorry.
  • Sherrylynn69
    Options
    She was soooooooooo lucky, wasn't she? somebody must of been really watching
    out for her. Did she feel the building shake?
  • klacoille
    Options
    I was in my teaching music to children class at Keene State College. But this day is even more memorable to me, because my brother had JUST gotten at job on FDNY EMS. His first day was actually the Monday before. He was there for weeks digging through what they called "the pile" looking for survivors and then remains. Sadly, because of his efforts (and the lack of protective gear) he got sick. He passed away in January 03. He had just turned 25. So for me, this day is sad, but it also causes me to remember that my brother and his dream. From the time he was 2 years old, he would say that when he grew up, he wanted to be a firefighter in NYC. Not many people get to live their dream and even fewer still get to live it during something that important. I miss him everyday and am still proud of him and what he did that day and the days after. He even received and award from the city for his heroism there.
  • audram420
    audram420 Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    I was in a microbiology lab...our teacher was an older man that was hard to understand. He started to tell us that a plane had hit the towers, but none of us could understand him...then we didn't believe him. There was no TV in the room only a radio, so he turned it up. Not long after hearing more information he let us leave and I went to the Student Center where there were hundreds of students watching the TVs. It gives me goosebumps thinking about it today!
  • dayzeerock
    dayzeerock Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    I was in a new school in Arlington, VA. Had only lived there two weeks and had moved from Los Angeles for my dad's new job at the Pentagon. He was flying back to Los Angeles that morning because his brother was ill. I was angry because I hated living there, and we got in an argument that morning. Before I left for school, I told him that I hoped his plane would crash and I hated him. Then it all happened. First, the WTC's, then, the Pentagon. Then, they said they were all planes bound for Los Angeles, because they had full fuel tanks. I fainted in my science class as we watched on tv. They locked our school down, and when I was finally able to get home, my mom was on the couch, in tears after being evacuated from her office, which was about a quarter mile away from the White House. We couldn't get a hold of my dad. He came home the next day, after being locked down in the airport after his plane was evacuated. I will never forget. One of my good friends lost her father in the Pentagon. Every time I go back to see my parents, I cry when we pass the Pentagon.
  • auntiebabs
    auntiebabs Posts: 1,754 Member
    Options
    On my way to work...
    One block south of the Towers

http://g.co/maps/xfb3y

Very grateful I was running late. I did not see it on TV I saw it in real-life...
    Dust covered people fleeing down town stop running about 14th street... which was where I stopped trying to get to work.

When I finally did see it on TV I was shocked at how little it conveyed of the reality on the ground.

I wrote and wrote and have still never found a way to describe what that day was like.
  • kaitimae
    kaitimae Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    I was in my homeroom class, in my Junior year of high school. The teachers had gotten word that something had happened, and our teacher turned on the TV. We sat there for the whole period and just watched. We did the same thing in every other class that day, except one. That teacher said "oh, they aren't going to say anything new." We had the news on but the volume off in that class. Pretty lame, as none of us paid any attention at all to the teacher or lesson. Such an emotional and devastating day.
  • Sherrylynn69
    Options
    I was in my teaching music to children class at Keene State College. But this day is even more memorable to me, because my brother had JUST gotten at job on FDNY EMS. His first day was actually the Monday before. He was there for weeks digging through what they called "the pile" looking for survivors and then remains. Sadly, because of his efforts (and the lack of protective gear) he got sick. He passed away in January 03. He had just turned 25. So for me, this day is sad, but it also causes me to remember that my brother and his dream. From the time he was 2 years old, he would say that when he grew up, he wanted to be a firefighter in NYC. Not many people get to live their dream and even fewer still get to live it during something that important. I miss him everyday and am still proud of him and what he did that day and the days after. He even received and award from the city for his heroism there.

That is sooo sad, Im so sorry for your loss. There were so many people, that died because of the
    aftermath. Lets hope we never have that kind of loss again.
  • Leola2011
    Options
    I was outside playing with my children when my (ex)husband came running out the house yelling for me to come inside to look at the breaking news. "We're being attacked!" were his words. I came inside just in time to see the second plane crash into the 2nd tower. It was unlike anything I'd ever witnessed and I was dumbstruck. I thought my eyes were deceiving me. That is, until they started to overflow with tears. For the next 3 days we were glued to the t.v. panting for answers and hoping, by some miracle or perhaps a wrinkle in time, that none of it was real. We couldn't get in touch with family or friends up north. I just remember feeling a strange sense of confusion and anger.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    I'll never forget. I was 24 years old. I worked for a financial investment company in Atlanta, in derivatives. Most of my contacts worked in those towers. In fact, one of my "buddies" from Credit Suisse called in sick that day to repair his roof. He felt so guilty that he wasn't there with his fellow coworkers.

I remember someone walking by, saying a cessna had crashed into the trade tower. We all gathered on the trading floor in front of the news. We were watching it live when we saw the second plane. And then we saw each tower fall, live. Then we heard about the Pentagon. We were in a very tall building in downtown Atlanta. We worried where Atlanta ranked among the "important" cities of the U.S. They sent us all home. On the way home, I heard about the plane in PA on the car radio. It was a very lonely day, sitting in my apartment all by myself, watching the news.
  • staps065
    staps065 Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    Teaching a class of Emergency Medical Technicians. What a shock and disbelief! Thought the first plane could have been an accident; when the second one hit, I knew we were under attack!
  • Iamfit4life
    Iamfit4life Posts: 3,095 Member
    Options
    I had just gotten to work. I was at the time working for the Better Business Bureau.

So we watched all the events on the TV in the arbitration room. Heartbroken, stunned, confused.

And eventually we all go back to our desks. 15 minutes later after me staring at CNN(that might have been my first message board) I got a phone call from some B*tch wanting to file a complaint about the man who installed her carpet.

I only worked there about two months longer, I couldn't do the job knowing some people were so selfish.
    I also thought the first plane was an accident..

The second plane and I was still confused..

The Pentagon got hit and I nearly had a panic attack.
  • L2M1D52
    L2M1D52 Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    I was in the 10th grade and taking my ISTEP test, which is something we are not allowed to stop for any reason. So when the teacher said something is wrong and we had to stop the test. We were shocked. The teacher put on the tv, but the building was already struck by that point. I'll never forget the freaked out looks on everyone's faces.
  • ohwhataday
    ohwhataday Posts: 1,398 Member
    Options
    I was living in highland mills, NY and a friend of my ex's that was an iron worker came over and woke us up and turned the t.v. on. It was pretty surreal. My mom had apparently been calling saying everyone had been calling her asking if I was okay. I worked at a Kmart and it was really weird.. the whole experience dealing with ground zero and people coming in that had friends they had lost. Needless to say I didn't last in NY very long after that! I left right before Thanksgiving. But for many reasons..

But.. I still don't know what I think about the Pentagon. ugh.
  • Iamfit4life
    Iamfit4life Posts: 3,095 Member
    Options
    I was living in highland mills, NY and a friend of my ex's that was an iron worker came over and woke us up and turned the t.v. on. It was pretty surreal. My mom had apparently been calling saying everyone had been calling her asking if I was okay. I worked at a Kmart and it was really weird.. the whole experience dealing with ground zero and people coming in that had friends they had lost. Needless to say I didn't last in NY very long after that! I left right before Thanksgiving. But for many reasons..

But.. I still don't know what I think about the Pentagon. ugh.

I cannot imagine having dealt with that. I just can't fathom being so close to it all. It freaked the hell out of me and I was in Texas.

It's funny. 10 years, two kids and a divorce later....it still seems just like last week.