vegetarian food thread

Options
13»

Replies

• meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    I'm making these tonight. I normally make falafel from dry chickpeas, soak them overnight and fry them in quite a bit of oil. This version is quicker, and lower in fat. I make my own salsa and will try that with them, as the recipe suggests. I'll elet you know how it goes.

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/5605/falafel-burgers

They were *good*. The salsa was an inspired choice to go with them too.
  • anjukins
    anjukins Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    oh!! so happy to be here!! we eat pretty simply but i'm really looking forward to sharing some recipes here... i was JUST wishing for a recipe swap, thanks for pointing me in this direction, OP!

lunch today... well, it was so freaking good i can't even get over it. i know i'm easy to please when it comes to fresh veggies, but... lawd it was yummy. and FILLING.

put 1 tsp evoo and a little water in a saucepan and fried/steamed two sliced bulbs of fennel, a big handful of orange cherry tomatoes, and half a cup of chopped fresh green beans, and cooked them till they were tender, and then added fresh dill and sea salt at the end. it was SO GOOD but it wasn't enough calories or carbs so i also had a piece of flourless sprouted bread with earth-balance and garlic on it and i am STUFFED and it was only 240 calories all together WITH my lunchtime treat of tea and cream.

also, i love looking at other people's food diaries... thanks for having so many of them public, guys!!

xoxo
  • gingersnap901
    gingersnap901 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    These all sound so good! I just had to post so that I can get back here and try all these wonderful things! I wanted to contribute too. I made Quinoa, Kale, Tomato and Black Bean Pilaf last night. It's very easy.

1 cup uncooked Quinoa (rinsed to reduce bitterness)
    2 Cups Water (or Veg. Stock)
    1 veg. boullion cube (or throw in herbs of your liking)
    Salt & Pepper to taste (optional)
    1 Bunch of Kale (stems removed and torn)
    2 Cans Diced Tomatoes
    1 Can Black Beans

In a large pot dissolve bouillion cube (or throw in herbs) and add salt & pepper. Add Quinoa. Bring to a boil. Throw in Kale, cover, reduce heat to simmer and cook for 20 minutes. Mix in tomatoes and Black Beans. This is even better the next day. It can be a bit bland so mix in whatever herbs and spices you like to jazz it up. Sometimes I throw in some sauteed mushrooms too.
  • UrbanRunner81
    UrbanRunner81 Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    I made this last night and I think I could just about eat it every day.
    http://www.fitnessmagazine.com/recipes/quick-recipes/dinner/farm-fresh-suppers/?sssdmh=dm17.546161&esrc=nwfitdailytip091011a&email=3613431102

only thing I did different was used Trader Joes balasmic italian dressing and used middle eastern flat bread. so yummy!
  • ohiogirl30
    ohiogirl30 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Seagazer
    Options
    bump
  • gingersnap901
    gingersnap901 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Oops
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    made a great risotto tonight - arborio rice, a little olive oil, bouillon, a little white wine, with peas and spinach. Seasoned with garlic, herbs de provence, and black pepper. It was most delicious!
  • UrbanRunner81
    UrbanRunner81 Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    Made this tonight
    Quick Lo Mein. I used temeph instead of tofu. And I added a cup of broccoli since I had some.

4 cups cooked spaghetti or 3 bricks ramen noodles

16 oz extra firm tofu drained and pressed

1 tbsp cornstarch

salt

2 tbsp canola oil

2 garlic cloves

2 tsp grated fresh ginger

5 green onions chopped

4 cups of shredded green cabbage

1 carrots shredded

1 1/2 cups of sliced white mushrooms

3 tbsp soy sauce

1 tbsp rice vinegar

1 tbsp ketchup

1 tsp toasted sesame oil

Cook noodles

Cut up tofu into 1/2 inch pieces, toss with cornstarch and 1/4 tsp salt and set aside

in Large skillet heat 1 tbsp canola oil over medium-high heat

Add tofu and cook until golden brown

Remove from skillet and set aside

In same skillet heat the remaining oil, add garlic, ginger, green onions, cabbage, carrots and mushrooms. Season with salt and stir-fry 4 to 5 minutes. Stir in rest of ingredients and add tofu

Add spaghetti to the skillet and toss to combine
  • KikiOmaha
    KikiOmaha Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    i thought I would add a vegetarian (not Vegan) recipe my boyfriend and I make all the time. He loves it and it is pretty easy. You control the fat and calories by choosing the level and quantity of ingredients. I find the flavor is not altered by using low fat cheeses.

MEXICAN LASAGNA

Ingredients:
    1 can black beans
    1 can corn
    Green Pepper
    Onion
    Garlic
    8 oz. Tomato Sauce
    14 oz. Red Enchilada Sauce
    Cumin, Chili Powder, spices you like
    Low-fat Cottage Cheese
    Your favorite yellow cheese (cheddar or colby jack)
    Corn Tortillas

Chop up and sautee the Green Pepper and Onion with plenty of garlic until softened and the onions are starting to become translucent. Add your spices (1 tbl. Chili powder, 1 tsp. Cumin, all more or less) Add the drained cans of black beans and corn. Add Tomato Sauce. Cook for a couple minutes then remove from heat. Pour 1/2 of the enchilada sauce into a casserole dish. Add a layer of Corn tortillas. Layer on half the bean mixture. Top with half cup cottage cheese, then half cup shredded cheddar (or other) cheese. Add another layer of corn tortillas. Repeat bean, cottage cheese, and cheddar cheese layers. Top with final corn tortilla layer. Pour remaining enchilada sauce over the top. Sprinkle a little extra shredded cheese on top. Bake about 375 degrees for about 35 minutes.

I'll be honest... I use way more cheese than the original recipe called for. I use a whole (small) tub of cottage cheese and closer to 2 cups of 2% shredded extra sharp cheddar. I compensate by cutting it into eight servings and eating a big salad first. I figure, 2 cups of cheese divided by eight servings is still only 1/4 cup or two ounces, so that is a regular serving. If you wanted to cut calories though, reduce the cheeses.
  • charismanoodles
    charismanoodles Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    My favourites-

Spinach and Cottage Cheese lasagna - Mix spinach and cottage cheese in bowl, place on lasagna sheets, cover with marinara sauce and repeat till you run out. Then some cheese on top, so tasty. I sometime add in extra firm tofu, no one notices, hehe :P

Pumpkin Soup

and Pineapple Sorbet - Freeze a can of pineapple with no syrup, take out then blend. So tasty.
  • looklikeaskeleton
    Options
    I just got this awesome vegetarian cook book that my grandmas friend made me :) here are some recipes from the book:

Vegetarian Chili
    Prep: 15 min
    Cook: 1hour

Ingredients:
    1 tablespoon olive oil
    1/2 medium onion chopped
    2 bay leaves
    1 teaspoon cumin, ground
    2 tablespoon salt
    2 stalks celery, chopped
    2 bell peppers, green, & chopped
    2 jalapeño peppers, chopped
    3 cloves garlic, chopped
    8 ounces green chili peppers, cooked and drained
    24 ounces vegetarian burger crumbles
    94 ounces tomatoes, peeled and crushed
    1/4 cup chili powder
    1 tablespoon black pepper, ground
    15 ounces kidney beans, cooked & drained
    15 ounces garbanzo beans, cooked & drained
    15 ounces black beans cooked & drained
    15 ounces corn, cooked whole kernel

Directions:
    Heat olive oil in a large pot over a medium heat. Stir in the onion and season with bay leaves, cumin, oregano, and salt. Cook and stir until onion is tender, then mix the celery, green bell peppers, jalapeño peppers, garlic, and green chili peppers. When vegetables are heated through, mix in the vegetarian burger crumbles. Reduce heat to low, cover pot and simmer 5 minutes.
    Mix the tomatoes into the pot. Season chili with chili powder and pepper. Stir in the kidney beans, garbanzo beans, and black beans. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, and simmer for 45 minutes. Stir in the corn and continue cooking for 5 minutes before serving.
    Servings: 12

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Vegetarian Pasta Shells
    Prep: 25 min
    Bake: 40 min

Ingredients:
    1/2 cup green onions, chopped
    1/2 cup carrot, shredded
    1/2 cup yellow summer squash, diced
    1 teaspoon olive oil
    1 clove garlic minced
    2 cups ricotta cheese, reduced fat
    1/2 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded part skim
    2 egg whites
    2 tablespoons basil, minced fresh or dried
    3/4 teaspoon salt
    1/8 teaspoon pepper
    1 1/2 cups spaghetti sauce, meatless and divided
    15 pasta shells, jumbo, cooked and drained
    1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, shredded

Directions:
    In a nonstick skilled, saute the onions, carrot and squash in oil until tender. Add garlic; saute 1 minute longer. Stir in the ricotta, mozzarella, egg whites, basil, salt, and pepper. Spread 1 cup of spaghetti sauce into a 3-qt baking dish coated with cooking spray. Stuff pasta shells with the cheese mixture; arrange in prepared dish. Top with the remaining spaghetti sauce; sprinkle with parmesan. Cover and bake at 350 degrees F for 40-45 minutes or until heated through.
    Servings: 5
  • sarah307
    sarah307 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    BUMP

been looking for this thread :)
  • kstep88
    kstep88 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • limismith
    limismith Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Bump! Will be trying a couple of these!!!

Soup is easy to make vegetarian, and it's soup season!

Potato Soup (under 300 Calories)

2 TB Butter
    1 medium onion, diced
    3-4 medium potatoes
    14oz veg broth - equals one can
    1/2 t Oregano OR Rosemary
    1/2 t Thyme
    1/2 t salt, to taste
    1/4 t pepper, to taste
    1/2 c flour
    2 1/2 c milk
    ** OPTIONAL: frozen peas or (if you're into it) diced ham. These can be added at the end with the final amount of milk.

In a large sauce pan/soup pan heat butter and onion over medium heat. Cook until onion is soft and translucent. Add the broth, diced potatoes, herb/salt./pepper and bring to boil. Reduce heat to simmer for 15 minutes covered. After 15 minutes, combine flour with 1/2 c of milk and add to the soup mix. Bring to boil for 2 minutes STIRRING FREQUENTLY. Reduce heat and add the remaining 2 c milk. Heat through and remove from heat.

If you like thicker soup (and I do!!) don't worry about seperating the milk. Mix all the milk + flour at once, bring the soup to boil for 2 minutes STIRRING like crazy, and then remove from heat.

1 cup = >300 calories. Unless you eat it with a massive chunk of toasty baguette. And then get another chunk of toasty baguette when the first one is all gone. In that case, you don't want to know how many calories it is ... :)
  • anjukins
    anjukins Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    does anyone want to share their favorite vegetarian burger recipe? I know lots of verrry delicious burger recipes, but they're all so so so high calorie. I am also going to share a mung bean waffle recipe soon... it's absolutely amazing.