1 Year, 80 lbs - Progress Pics

Options

Replies

• megz4987
    megz4987 Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    My fiance has epilepsy and it's harder to get him to take his medication than it is to get a child to eat brussel sprouts.

Can I ask if your doctor suggested this diet and why? Why does it help?

PS. You look FANTASTIC!! Great job!
  • bslic
    bslic Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    and best of luck to you in school and your career goals. You can do it!
  • Samanthasteinagle26
    Options
    Congrats!!! You look great.
  • Estrella30
    Estrella30 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    thank you so much for sharing your story! congrats!
  • PhatChic1186
    Options
    Great progress!! Keep up the good work..Congrats
  • BlessedandBeautifulBrown
    Options
    you look awesome
  • naptina
    Options
    BEAUTIFUL!
  • killerqueen17
    killerqueen17 Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    wow!! congrats, how awesome!! and I love how you made the photo timeline thing... it's really cool to see the progress that way... not just before and after, but all the hard work in between, too! :)
  • Sherbog
    Sherbog Posts: 1,072 Member
    Options
    Absolutely the best success piece and pics I have ever seen! Fantastic!
  • FitRodr
    FitRodr Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Amazing!!!
  • larak2011
    Options
    Great picture logging! Truly inspirational!!!!
  • pork_belly
    Options

I also really recommend reading Gary Taubes' Why We Get Fat and What To Do About It. That book helped me understand the science behind why this way of life works as well as it does, and why it is not only safe, but healthier. At first I was really afraid about eating high fat, moderate protein, and low carb, but now I feel confident that it is a totally healthy way of life!

+1 on Gary Taubes' books. I have his "Good Calories Bad Calories" book and watch a few of his lectures on You Tube. Reading definitely will help keep you on track.
  • Julian_G
    Options
    You look great, Congratulations !!
  • ElleC
    ElleC Posts: 37
    Options
    Agreed. I LOVE the way you logged this in pictures. You look like half the woman you were!
  • LowCarbAmanda
    Options
    My fiance has epilepsy and it's harder to get him to take his medication than it is to get a child to eat brussel sprouts.

Can I ask if your doctor suggested this diet and why? Why does it help?

PS. You look FANTASTIC!! Great job!

http://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/news/media/releases/Modified_Atkins_Diet_Can_Cut_Epileptic_Seizures_in_Adults

Above is a link to Johns Hopkins, and the ketogenic diet. Not even they are sure as to why it works, but I do know that your brain runs on carbs. When you deprive it of carbs, the body processes fat (dietary and body) into ketones, which are a type of body-made carbohydrate, and your brain uses the ketones as fuel. For some reason, using ketones instead of carbohydrates as fuel does the trick.

My doctor did not suggest this diet. When I saw him after having started this diet, I asked him why he hadn't told me about it (he had thrown me onto a bunch of different HORRIBLE meds, and had even spoken of the possibility of brain surgery in the future). Like this article says, he said that adults rarely adhere to the strictness of a ketogenic diet, so the doctors don't bother mentioning it at all. It sure would have been nice to have known about this from the beginning! Better late than never... :)
  • Koalaboo
    Koalaboo Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Amazing!
  • Ruby11222
    Ruby11222 Posts: 114
    Options
    Just, WOW!
  • rebecca_lc28
    rebecca_lc28 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    wow such an amazing job :D great effort!!
  • MereMe
    MereMe Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Awesome! CONGRATS! Love how you posted all of your pics as you lost it! Way to go!
  • Goofy076
    Goofy076 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    wow girl you look amazing!!!!! keep up the great work ;)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!