I am addicted to Coke!

kjenelle
kjenelle Posts: 61 Member
Ever since I was a little girl, I have had at least one Coke a day! From sitting with my mother at her own weight watchers's meeting to present, and I sound like an old southern lady when my head hurts "Lord, I need a coke cola to get rid of this headache!" I am busting my hump in the gym but realize this two coke a day habit is hurting my weight loss. Any suggestions on how to replace my daily sweet in my life?

Replies

• fudgebudget
    fudgebudget Posts: 198 Member
    Honestly, what worked best for me was just cold turkey for a few days. Once you go some time without it, you don't crave it as much.
  • elfranzen
    elfranzen Posts: 27 Member
    most people will tell you to stop or switch to tea but I switched to Diet and Coke Zero. I got rid of all regular coke in the house and only bought Zero/Diet after a few weeks I didn't notice I was drinking diet anymore. its worked for me.
  • nrvo
    nrvo Posts: 473 Member
    Are you drinking it for the taste, the caffeine, or the carbonation? If it's for the taste, try cutting back to just 1 a day, or switching to Coke Zero. If it's for the caffeine - try iced coffee with Splenda. If it's the carbonation you crave - try carbonated water with a squeeze of lime.
  • Stuartm1
    Stuartm1 Posts: 101 Member
    You could try the caffeine free Diet coke Tescos own is really good!!
  • Zeromilediet
    Zeromilediet Posts: 787 Member
    Cold turkey is the way to go, but prepared to feel lousy for several days. Get it out of your house and tell everyone you know that you're giving it up so you won't be offered and have to deal with the temptation. It's hard to do, but worth it for your health. Plan yourself a reward for when you've gone a month without it.
  • Simomofmich
    Simomofmich Posts: 126 Member
    Compromise with yourself and switch to diet coke or Coke zero. In the end tho, you don't want to stop drinking or cutting back for sure.
  • Hope228
    Hope228 Posts: 340 Member
    Honestly, what worked best for me was just cold turkey for a few days. Once you go some time without it, you don't crave it as much.

This is what worked for me also. I was addicted also.
  • heybrit
    heybrit Posts: 140
    I would recommend casually cutting down on your soda intake until you can completely cut it out and can just treat yourself to a can one or two times a week. Diet sodas are made with artificial sweeteners like aspertame which is way worse for you than regular Coke. Aspertame is linked to a lot of horrifying health problems (like schizophrenia!) and IMO should be avoided at all costs. I would try drinking tea (to get the natural caffeine as your body will probably initially go through caffeine withdrawals!) Good luck!
  • ASPhantom
    ASPhantom Posts: 637 Member
    Harvard study of 6000 people found that drinking just 1 soft drink a day increased the risk of obesity by 31%,now there's more evidence that diet drinks are as bad as normal ones;1 university study found that rats fed artificially sweetened drinks for 10 days gained more weight than those fed sugar drinks.Researchers theorize that when you eat artificial sweeteners,your body prepares for a large intake of calories. When these fail to materialize,your body demands food by making you feel hungry.

I recently quit cold turkey.
  • I understand I used to jokingly call my mom a Popaholic.... I have struggled giving up soda myself and I had to cut back so I din't get the caffiene headaches.... I cut back to 1 a day then a half, now none. I know cold turkey might work for some but I craved it more that way... :happy:
  • KeepOnMoving
    KeepOnMoving Posts: 383 Member
    Do you drink sugar Coke? I am addicted to diet colas. Couldn't find anything wrong with it since it is Zero calories, but recently read that too much artificial sweetners in soda (like more than 2 servings a day) can decrease your kidney function by 30%. So I am trying to cut down to just 1 or 2 a day.

If you drink the regular Coke, just remember, one serving a day will equal to 10lb weight gain a year. If you cut it out, then you can easily loose 10lbs a year (assuming your not replacing it with another caloric sugar beverage.)
  • I have a similar issue with Dr Pepper. I would drink one or two a day. I had my last one on Friday. I am crabby, exhausted and I know that it will get better. I feel like an alcoholic who keeps one last beer in the fridge to remind themselves what not to do. Every time I open the door, there is that cheerful red can staring at me from the top shelf.
  • kjenelle
    kjenelle Posts: 61 Member
    Thanks everyone! I have tried the cold turkey but I munch all day on everything. I will definitely try the coke zero and hope for good results.
  • KeepOnMoving
    Harvard study of 6000 people found that drinking just 1 soft drink a day increased the risk of obesity by 31%,now there's more evidence that diet drinks are as bad as normal ones;1 university study found that rats fed artificially sweetened drinks for 10 days gained more weight than those fed sugar drinks.Researchers theorize that when you eat artificial sweeteners,your body prepares for a large intake of calories. When these fail to materialize,your body demands food by making you feel hungry.

I recently quit cold turkey.

I lost weight over diet soft drinks. It had nothing to do with weight gain. Of course I kept the food diary going. My concern is my diet soft drinks a hazard to to my kidney function filtering out the artificial sweeteners.
  • KeepOnMoving
    Dr. Pepper Ten is an interesting drink. It has 2g of sugar (mixed with artificial sweeteners) and is only 10 calories.
  • I feel your pain! I LOVE Coke but you are right it is probably holding you back slightly with your weight loss, not to mention it is horrible for your teeth and sugar levels. I still enjoy Coke in moderation but I make sure I drink ALOT of water every day to balance out the sodium in it. If you want to cut out coke completely, go cold turkey, deal with the temporary headaches and energy drop and stock up on carbonated flavored water...lower calories at least:)
  • I always used to hate Diet Coke, but since I switched I've learned to like it. although I know it is not the healthiest alternative, it's way better than drinking regular coke in the quantity that I used to. Best of luck beautiful.
  • I am not a have to have person when it comes to soda, my husband thought he was. His fix was diet dr pepper, I just refused to but it and made sure there was alternatives for him. Water, sugar free kool aid, and tea. When we would go out to eat he would always order a soda, when the bill cam e and they charged 2.29 for his drink in which he would rarely get refills, his own argument was this cost a much as a 2 liter. I let him sink his own ship when it came to soda. the final straw for my family was watching everyone around us act like they couldn't live without it ( as if it was air!) and knowing that they could.

One thing that help me cut calories when I would drink soda was to do half and half.Esp fountain drinks. Half coke half diet or zero. Maybe if you can't give it up you can save some cals.:drinker:
  • hewhoiscd
    hewhoiscd Posts: 1,029 Member
    Drink TONS of water. Keep healthy snacks on hand at all times. Any time you want a coke, drink a glass of water first. If you still want a coke, have a small healthy snack first.

I used to drink several cans of coke a day. I finally decided to just quite drinking it all together about a year ago. Read the BLOG link in my sig if you want to see the details and results :)
  • dlyeates
    dlyeates Posts: 875 Member
    My "drug" of choice is Coke Zero....tastes and "feels" more like regular Coke. I know there is research that shows that drinking even diet soda can increase weight because your body will "crave" the real sugar and cause over eating but I want to remind you that YOU are in control of your eating and if you make a plan of what to eat then that won't happen.

I've recently lost 12 lbs and I drink diet soda and I know that I'm the only one that can put sugary or high calorie food into my body!!! Take responsibility for what you put in your body and you will succeed!!!! You are in control and you can do it!!!!
This discussion has been closed.