Any Foodies out there?

Options

Replies

• LilMissFoodie
    LilMissFoodie Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    With my username, can I really deny it? hehe Love love love cooking and food!
  • fallenangelloves
    fallenangelloves Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    The new Cooking Light Magazine just got here! I'm so excited! Not to mention Food Network and Rachel Ray got here earlier this week! I'm like foodgasming over here! Haha
  • malilamala
    Options
    Oh my goodness, YES! I love cooking! I like the idea of a cheat day... hmmmmm. Lately, I've been trying to substitute lighter, but natural, ingredients and the flavor isn't always there.
  • nettie1969
    Options
    I so laughed when I read your topic name. My immediate thought was "heck yeah! .... Isn't that what got us all here in the first place?" lol

Yes, I am a foodie. I don't really do the cooking shows so much - just occassionally as I am not really a tv watcher - but love standing at the cupboard/freezer and going "hmmm ... what can I do with this?". Mostly the family loves what I create (if not a bit of a strange combination) but my partner is such a fussy eater I now save my experiments for just me.

Am at this moment marinating some Chicken breast in yoghurt and spices.... smells yummy.

Would also love some new friends - I am very new to this site...
  • fallenangelloves
    Options
    HAHa I actually thought that too after I posted it...
  • MzFury
    MzFury Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Yes! I am gonna befriend you all!
    Hey, fallenangelloves - Julie Powell is a good friend of mine. If you read the book, Julie & Julia, I'm [badly] fictionalized as Isabel.
    And, I also submitted for Next Food Network Star, ha!
    And just got my new Cooking light.

I prefer to call myself a gourmand, rather than a foodie, but it's really neither here nor there, and the same thing...

I'm really happy to find this site - I gave up on other on-line tracking (and will continue to use a paper system I made, also good for when I'm NOT ON A COMPUTER - don't have a smartphone anyway...) as it's far too time consuming, but this seems quick and like it has a massive and quite thorough database.

Nice to meet you all, I joined today, and thanks, Mike, for making this site!
    -Hannah
  • NiciS72
    NiciS72 Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    MEE MEEE MEEEEEEEE!!!!! We watch Food Network more often than not. Due to not being able to eat gluten, I do make a lot of things most folks don't from scratch. I find the food is so much more tasty and way lower in calories than the pre-made stuff anyway. I absolutely LOVE Ellie Krieger and miss her show on FN. I make a lot of stuff from her cookbook as well as others. I just bought two new Cooking Light magazine specials at BN Readers' Top-Rated Recipes and Super Fresh & Simple Meals. There area ton of recipes in both under 3-400 calories.
  • fallenangelloves
    Options
    Hannah- too cool!

Nici - I love Ellie too! I've learned she is more on the healthy side than the low cal so sometimes on my cheat days I just make her stuff cause it's all delicious! Just made her crab cakes a couple weeks ago and my son loved them! (this is the former "I'll only eat chicken nuggets" boy!)
  • fallenangelloves
    Options
    Power hiccup... Double post sorry
  • ab_shutterbug
    ab_shutterbug Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Definitely! I totally enjoy well prepared food. I just returned from Asia and marvel at the way they prepare food with ultra fresh ingredients. We Americans are so hooked on unhealthy fast food chains and processed foods. I typically prepare my meals from scratch, like I did tonight with homemade beef and bean tacos.
    I enjoy the culinary competitions on Food Network. Been to Bobby Flay's restaurant called Americas in NYC and it was excellent.
  • redfox43
    redfox43 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • joimichele
    Options
    MEEEEE! The only channels I watch are foodnetwork and cooking channel. I tried to start a group once but couldn't find fellow foodies!
  • MzFury
    Options
    Yeah, the few Krieger recipes I've made have been awesome. I like the healthy focus - she does use more healthy fats and stuff, so you do have to just watch that a bit, I guess, but it's really good in a world filled with totally nutso mindsets about food and body image and stuff. I love the people who champion the wholesome... I love what Jamie Oliver was doing in Britain before I left there, and still love to watch him cook his rustic Italianate stuff... Makes me feel sane, ha!
  • Goofy076
    Goofy076 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Ohhhhh I am totally hooked on food network and cooking channel, I am forever adding recipes to my books and using my hubby and friends as guinea pigs Haha, they never complain lol
  • stace0308
    stace0308 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Hello my name is Stacey, and I'm a FOODIE.

Love, love love this thread. Food network is on our TV all day on Saturdays, Cooking Light is one of my favorite magazines, I actually cried while watching Julie & Julia.. I'm ashamed to say I'm that girl that cuts the recipes out of all of the doctor's waiting room magazines. Cooking is truly a pasion of mine & I'd love to compare notes & share recipes with any of you that would like to add me.

~Stacey
  • MzFury
    Options
    Dude - was this a good idea for a message board question or WHAT? Thank you! I joined today and didn't expect to use the social networking aspect hardly at all, but this has just brought out everyone that I'd imagine I'd want to meet on here :D
  • Suze54
    Options
    definitely a foodie. I am a mini Martha Stewart. Now, I know there are a lot of people who don't like her out there, but honestly, her recipes WORK. (I wouldn't mind her staff, however!!!). I love to bake. I am not doing that as much as if it is in the house, I will eat it. I am following Rocco Dispirito and his recipes for desserts are great. I had to get over the bean usage at first. They take the place of flour.

At my work, there is soon to be a bake sale to raise money for women's health. I will be baking for that!!!

Anyone else read a recipe and can tell exactly how it will taste? that is me.
  • fallenangelloves
    Options
    My family refers to me as "little Martha"... I got started watching her 21 years ago when I was put to bed rest while pregnant with my twins... I'm embarrassed to say I have every book and magazine since 1991! But you are right... Her recipes are always a hit!
  • sarahmaryfearnley
    sarahmaryfearnley Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Well, now that we know there are others out there (on MFP), thanks to fallenangels for bringing us together, I think we should start a more formal group under Modivation and Support or Food and Nutrition.

I know there is already a cooking challenge group so I'ld be interested in a different way for us to support and learn from each other. Maybe a group where we post the best thing we made or discovered that week? A daily posting of recipies from all of us will quickly become a 200+ posting thread, I think, and good ideas may become lost.

Other ideas? Let us know here if anyone starts a new thread.
  • fallenangelloves
    Options
    Hmmmm let me think... I usually post my meals on FB... I guess we could do something like that here! Not necessarily pics but what we had for dinner, where we found e recipe etc.... Anyone else want this?