Here comes a taboo subject..

Options
13»

Replies

• sunkisses
    sunkisses Posts: 2,365 Member
    Options
    I was prescribed Phentermine by my endocrinologist when I first started losing weight. I had already hammered out restricting my calories by 500 and exercising daily. So I just continued to do so for the 3 months I was on Phentermine. It cut my appetite even more than the 500 calories and I had double the energy I had before, so my weight loss was pretty fast. I lost 35lb over 3 years ago. I didn't "gain it all back" like everyone tries to scare you into believing. But it was because I had begun eating better and continued to exercise daily, which sustained my weight loss.

The bad: Phentermine makes my blood pressure go way up. Obnoxiously high. It also causes insomnia, and irritability after the lack of sleep. It sometimes made me aggressive. Like I'd have no trouble getting into a fist-fight if the mood struck me (which it didn't.)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options

I'm not attempting to go on them, but I see quite a few of you out there are taking them. How has it increased your weight loss? What kind of issues have you acquired because of them?

Lol, this screams of wanting to do them. From my experience and from clinical studies, weight loss supplements only attribute to 1% of your total weight loss. So if you lost 10lbs, then 1/10 of a pound came from the weight loss supplement. That's a lot of money to spend for a tenth of a pound.
  • catherine4211
    catherine4211 Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    Its okay to ask questions. Some people are just smart *kitten* on here. ;)

agreed!
  • kykykenna
    kykykenna Posts: 656 Member
    Options
    I'm always tempted ^^ but my mom told me a lot of those pills are like meth so lol...no thanks xD

ps: if u want a natural appetite suppressant, try 3 ounces of filtered water (or sparkling such as seltzer or mineral) mixed with 3 ounce of 100% REAL grape juice. Drink this 30 minutes before you eat, and you will hardly feel hungry. Drink this same mixture before bed ^.^ I started this after reading Edgar Cayce recommended it, and my appetite is basically gone lol. It's only been a couple days though...but hey! Safer than weird chemicals :P

Now THAT is interesting!!! :)
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    I've tried just about every gimmicky weight loss program out there - from Slim Fast to Metabolife.

Obviously, none of them worked long term. The best way to lose weight is exactly the way MFP encourages you to do so - watch your calories and workout. It may be a slow process but it has been proven that the slower you lose weight the more likely you are to KEEP IT OFF long term. I don't know about you, but I'd rather lose it slowly and keep it off forever than lose it fast and gain it all back just as quickly!
  • KarenK37
    KarenK37 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Don't do it , it is so no worth the side effects. I tried after I had my daughter and it totally messed with my sleep and I felt like I was having a panic attack. You can do this!!!
  • Thomasm198
    Thomasm198 Posts: 3,189 Member
    Options
    A friend of mine took them once. They were supposed to be all natural herbal things. He got them in Natures Way or someplace like that.

He didn't sleep for 2 days and then spent 3 days walking around like a zombie because he had no energy from lack of sleep.
  • Febgirl
    Febgirl Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I'm always tempted ^^ but my mom told me a lot of those pills are like meth so lol...no thanks xD

ps: if u want a natural appetite suppressant, try 3 ounces of filtered water (or sparkling such as seltzer or mineral) mixed with 3 ounce of 100% REAL grape juice. Drink this 30 minutes before you eat, and you will hardly feel hungry. Drink this same mixture before bed ^.^ I started this after reading Edgar Cayce recommended it, and my appetite is basically gone lol. It's only been a couple days though...but hey! Safer than weird chemicals :P

Now THAT is interesting!!! :)

Green tea is another completely natural appetite suppressant. Try a cup after dinner to get rid of sweet cravings.
  • missalicia78
    Options
    There is a part of me that wants to try something like Alli simply because of the fact that, while on it, I HAVE to behave, you know? I have to eat lower fat meals or...heh...there are problems. But I totally agree with some of the above posts. I've put 40 lbs. on in the last year simply by being lazy and food obsessed. I want to prove to myself that I can work hard and get back into my old clothes on my own.

Also, as a third shift worker, I drink a LOT of caffeine. I find that caffeine makes me want to eat more. Does anyone else experience this?
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I haven't taken any for a few reasons:

- I'm cynical enough to believe that the companies who make them don't actually care about you losing weight, they care about making money. So, it's in their interest to make you believe you can't lose weight without them, or that you will lose weight extra fast with them. Personally, I doubt it.
    - I'm a bit scared of side effects. Cold tablets and coffee after midday keep me awake for hours, so I think I would be awake for a week with some of the substances in weight loss tablets.
    - I'm old enough now to have learnt that "quick fixes" often aren't "quick" and often don't "fix".

As with everything else, it's a personal choice, but not for me.
  • kit_kitaru
    Options
    I use apidexin which works really well, I saw and felt a major difference soon after taking it. And I'm really sensitive to most other diet pills I cannot take them or they'll get me jittery and give me an anxiety attack but this one didnt make me jittery at all and it really cut my appetite. But I have also found that while they did help me lose weight at first it was short lived and I found that chromium pills help with the appetite SO MUCH better. And theyre a trace mineral, you can buy em cheap at walmart.
  • Bluestar083
    Options
    My friend gave me one to take (not for weight loss just for the speed effect-I was 50kg at the time and underweight) and I was not hungry for 2 days then STARVING for a day, nothing made me feel full. Nothing. I seriously ate more in a day than I would in 3 or 4 days. It was awful.
    And that was the first and last time I have touched diet pills.
    As a nurse I can tell you that not YET is there a good diet pill, but there may be in the future.
    As another poster said-increase fibre and protein. I eat All Bran when I am starving with a cup of peppermint tea. Fills me right up.
  • Angelabec
    Angelabec Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I tried the Acai & colon cleanse combination, but tbh I didnt really notice much difference, certainly didnt feel the claimed health benefits of better sleep, more energy etc. and although I did lose weight, that was just as likely to have been from my eating habits, and I didnt notice any change in my weight loss when I stopped taking them. I have to see my doctor soon, so I am tempted to see if I can get Alli on prescription to see if it works, but it is supposed to be a fat blocker, rather than an appetite suppressant and claims not to have any side effects, but I will see what the doc recommends.
  • Troll
    Troll Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    Haha, yeah-plus they're cheap. After years of taking Stackers and Stingers and Boost and energy drinks before stopping cold turkey for a year and a half, i can get a "buzz" off 16oz of green tea.
  • nicehormones
    nicehormones Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    I took Hydroxycut and SlimQuick (not at the same time) for a while and neither worked. Neither one got me better results than plain old exercise and healthy eating. Quick fixes don't work, they're just a waste of money.

I took slimquick for a few months once... Some days I forgot to take them at all (I'm bad with pills). The days I did take them as they tell you to, I was always starving. It's really weird, like supposed to curb your appetite, but made me even more hungry than when I didn't take them. Also caused me higher anxiety because I would still drink coffee. I realized that with the pills, I was technically having the caffeine equivalent of about 5 cups of coffee. Not worth it, didn't help me lose any extra weight. Probably affects your heart really bad too...