Can I ask a serious question?

Options
2»

Replies

• Leola2011
    Options
    Then answer to your question is in your post.
  • glittermouse
    glittermouse Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    Hmmm. That's a tough situation. Well, it's easy to say things like "do what your heart tells you". But not always helpful. Here's what I think: You have to do something that you are passionate about. That seems to be becoming a doctor. If the idea of the human body, the brain, etc, interests you, then that's what you should pursue.

I have to admit I'm lacking knowledge here, but what can you do with the Russian major? I've never investigated it, but I can't think of what job/career you would have. The other option is much more clear to me. When I was applying to colleges and looking at degrees, my mother's favorite words were "Marketable Skills". In that order. While she wanted me to be happy, she wanted me to be able to support myself and to be able to find a job. It seems that the medical field is always growing, and that there'll always be jobs and opportunities out there. I'd go with that.

About having a family: even if you do choose to go after the medical degree, you'll still find time to fall in love, get married, have children, run marathons, write books, scale mountains, earn your pilot's license, whatever it is you decide to do with life. Don't worry about that yet. Trust that you can accomplish anything you set out to do.

About the debt: Yep, it's a huge debt. Yep, it's scary. But remind your mom that it'll be your responsibility and not hers. It's nice that she's so worried about you and your sucess, but living with regrets may be just as hard as living with debts. And you're right. Thousands upon thousands have done it before you. And I bet half of them were as driven as you are.

I saw in your post that you've gone back and forth on this for about five years from now. Here's one piece of advice that help light a fire under me and propelled me into my current career: Don't think about the time invested. If you say, "It's a X-year program, I don't want to devote that much time to schooling. I'll be XX--years old when I finish."--you'll only discourage yourself. AND, at the end of those X years--you'll still be that same age. Only maybe you won't have anything to show for it.

A lady I used to work with had that same problem. She wanted to get back into teaching (better job, pay, her passion in life) but she was going to have to take 2 years of classes. She kept saying, I don't want to do it. I'll be 40 when I get to teach. That was three years ago. She's still in the same retail job and not happy and still wanting to teach.

I saw that and it scared me into jumping in with both feet.

I hope that wasn't too long and really, really hope that doesn't come across as preachy, but I am so passionate about people going after what they want and achieving their goals.

Hope it helps and feel free to message me. :D Best of luck with your descision.
  • deshea_d
    Options
    I say do what you think is best for you and pay little attention to anyone who does not support your goals. One of the doctors that has worked at the pediatrics office my daughter goes to has 5 kids. She works as a fill at various hospitals and pediatric offices in the area rather than working the long hours at one office. I know other MDs that work part time. I think with the growth of the heathcare industry there is more flexibility for women to have a medical career and family. I can't offer any advice on dealing with the competitiveness of others considering the field. That is something you cannot change and will have to deal with for a long time if you go down this path. Good luck!:smile:
  • larke15
    Options
    It sounds like you really DO know what you want, and that is to be a doctor...and I say that's what you go for. If you have a passion to help people...be a doctor.
  • bjbixler
    bjbixler Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Well...
    Ultimately it's your choice. It will be your debt, not hers. And if you were to specialize in a field such as neurology or neurosurgery, trust me, you'd be able to pay them off. There are also loan repayment programs for committing to a 2-4 year term in an underserved (inner city?) or rural area.

Also, whether you attend a public or a private school will have a large influence on the amount of your debt. Like hundreds of thousands of dollars difference.

And one last thought... have you thought about becoming a Physician Assistant or Nurse Practitioner? Although I am a little biased (I am a PA), I can say that I'm so glad I've chosen this path over medical school. (Believe me, I could've attended medical school if I had wanted to!) After 7 years of college I was out working full-time and making a full paycheck. My hours are much more flexible and reasonable than the MDs I work with, so I feel that when I choose to start a family I won't have that same burden.
    As a PA you can specialize in most any field, and because most programs are only 2.5 year, the total student loan debt at the end isn't as bad. But it just depends on what you want out of life.

It's your life to live. Live it.

Good Luck!
  • _Sally_
    _Sally_ Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    If you don't pursue your passion for medicine, you will regret it.

You remind me a lot of myself and the decisions I was faced with in college. I wanted to become a doctor (surgeon), but did not have any familiy support, and psyched myself out because I wanted to have a family and was scared of the debt (I come from very modest means).

My second choice was to major in French. My father told me that if I majored in French, I'd be standing on the French Unemployment line after college (I have to say, he was probably right on this one).

So... how did it turn out for me? I got my degree in Finance and have worked in sedentary desk jobs my whole career. I'm now approaching my mid-40's and I never did get married and have children. (Just haven't found the right one for the long haul yet.... interestingly I don't have any regrets about not having any children). I've enjoyed a financially successful business career (I got my MBA at night after college), but have worked without a passion for what I'm doing my whole career and I can't wait to retire from corporate america.

But, boy, what I wouldn't give to go back and say "screw you" to all the people who weren't supportive and who didn't let me know that there is a way to have both a medical career and a family if I wanted to. If I had a second chance, I would have chosen to pursue my passion in medicine.

Perhaps you can seek out some mentors of women who did pursue medicine and have families? Maybe contact some local medical schools and see if they can put you in touch with some of their alums. The medical schools themselves probably have great resources and people you can talk to to see whether it is a feasible option for you or not.

Regarding the MCATs- don't worry about other people. There are very competitive folks no matter what track you pursue. I think that may be just an excuse you are using to scare yourself away from the challenge.

Best of luck in your decision. Tune out all of the negative external forces and follow your heart. You'll know what is right for you.
  • jessy1690
    Options
    It is going to put you in debt, a lot. but if thats what you really want to do, then go for it you are going to be making money to pay back all the loans. And if you have the grades there are scholar ships. Or you could join into the ROTC program and they will pay the entire thing. I always go with what makes me happy. :smile:
  • killerqueen17
    killerqueen17 Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    There are lots of great health professions to look into... Check out the path to become a Nurse Practicioner or a Physician's Assistant. Both great professions, and one may suit you better than being an MD as far as the schooling that's required-- just a thought! Google it :)

I actually don't even see an MD anymore-- my GYN is actually a nurse practicioner, and I love her!! she's the best :)
  • glittermouse
    glittermouse Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    On a lighter note that my first post, I always think about this scene in Sister Act 2.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKfOHfSGDvQ

If you've been thinking of this for five years, maybe the advice that Sister Mary Clarence will work for you, too!
  • xneurocentric
    xneurocentric Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I have to admit I'm lacking knowledge here, but what can you do with the Russian major? I've never investigated it, but I can't think of what job/career you would have. The other option is much more clear to me. When I was applying to colleges and looking at degrees, my mother's favorite words were "Marketable Skills". In that order. While she wanted me to be happy, she wanted me to be able to support myself and to be able to find a job. It seems that the medical field is always growing, and that there'll always be jobs and opportunities out there. I'd go with that.

I appreciate EVERYTHING you said in this post, and I wanted to answer your question. As far as what I can DO with a Russian major, I know I can teach English in Russia, or be a translator or interpreter, but those are usually part time jobs. And I just spent five weeks in Russia, and while I enjoyed it thoroughly.. it's not what I'm used to. The bureaucracy and corruption of cops is horrible. The medical care, quite frankly, sucks. It's just not what I can handle, especially as I'm not fluent in Russian yet. I'm frightened to live there, and that would increase my knowledge of Russian ten-fold. Hence my hesitation.
  • xneurocentric
    xneurocentric Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    You remind me a lot of myself and the decisions I was faced with in college. I wanted to become a doctor (surgeon), but did not have any familiy support, and psyched myself out because I wanted to have a family and was scared of the debt (I come from very modest means).

Surgeon, eh? Were you leaning towards Neurosurgery? haha If so, that's me in a nutshell. Although I certainly CANNOT pick a specialty before now, neurosurgery is so up my alley.
  • beckyinma
    beckyinma Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    Don't throw away your chance to do what you want NOW because you listened to a naysayer tell you you can't. You're in your prime to do it NOW. DO what's in your heart, school loans or not, you're a big girl, able to make big girl decisions.
  • calibri
    calibri Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    You should do whatever you want, however, be fully aware of what the life of a physician entails. I was once like you and decided to major into molecular biology. I loved school and classes but was ultimately unable to find work in my field. Don't be afraid to learn about what you love, but make sure it's practical. I've met quite a few pre-meds while I was in uni since we shared a lot of major coursework. While they are some of the most driven people I have met, they were also by far the most stressed and many of them have not made it into med school, either because of the MCAT, loss of interest, dislike of the actual job, or just life.

It will be difficult to manage both a life and your profession. Depending on how many years of school you have left to pursue your degree (and you should get a degree, not just take the pre req courses and apply), you may very well be in your 30s when you start med school. Then you have another four years of school/internship where you will be worked intensively. Once your residency is finished (this is assuming you want to be a physician and will take four years), you'll be in your mid 30s, where it starts to be dangerous to have children due to increased likelihood of birth defects.

All of that said, I fully believe in embracing your dreams and learning what you love and not necessarily what you think will get you a job. Just make sure you know exactly what you are jumping into. Be aware of how truly difficult this will be and that the odds are stacked against you, but that it doesn't mean you are doomed to fail.

Another note, some med schools take special consideration for those that have a 'non-traditional' degree when applying. Having a Russian degree might make you stand out from the other sea of biology/chem majors in the crowd.