Whole fat foods.

Options

Replies

• Pollywog39
    Pollywog39 Posts: 1,730 Member
    Options
    I think it's fine as long as you're choosing healthy foods (that happen to have fat in them) and staying within your allotted calories.

I do eat low fat dairy because nothing weird is added to it, it's just the same thing as the full fat, but skimmed. Otherwise, I eat the real thing -- even real sugar if you can believe it! I think I'm a dying breed.

I agree with everything you said....and YES to real sugar! I have avoided sugar-free foods for a very long time....... unless you're diabetic and MUST avoid sugar, they are totally useless to a person's diet and I believe they are dangerous to our systems! I also avoid non-fat foods that SHOULD have fat in them - like cheeses and yogurts.

All things in moderation.......and trying to keep my food as REAL as possible! God made it, we can eat it!
  • AmeChops
    AmeChops Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    Well... I know my parents went from drinking skim milk and using margarine to eating only raw butter and raw milk and they lost a bunch of weight and lowered their cholesterol. They also cut out sugar entirely, though, and watched their portion sizes, so it's hard to say which factor(s) played the biggest part. They swear by the raw milk/butter, though.

I really want raw milk, but have not been able to find a supplier............ yet

Sorry...but what do you mean by 'raw milk'?? Think I'm the other side of the pond lol :-))

Not pasteurized (heated to kill bacteria).

I think you can find it if you buy directly from a dairy farm, but I wouldn't take my chances.

Ahh...I see...learn something new everyday...thank you :-D
  • kyle4jem
    kyle4jem Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    I find when it says low fat it has more carbs. I eat full fat, just less.
    Not all reduced fat dairy has more carbs and added sugar/sweetner.

I use reduced-fat cottage cheese which actually has a third fewer calories than regular, plus it keeps better.

But I also cook with butter and only usw whole milk. I also eat real cheese, although do use Phili or McLelland's extra-strong cheedar spread now and again.

I certainly don't think it's BAD to drink whole milk and eat dairy. {sorry didn't see teh reply that came in while I was writing this... thanks :happy: }

PS ... I also want to know what you mean by "raw milk"... as in un-pasturised and straight from the cow? In the UK you would certainly only be abel to buy that from a farmer's market or very local supplier as all dairy must be pasturised for retail consumption.
  • MSDRIZZ
    MSDRIZZ Posts: 246
    Options
    Well... I know my parents went from drinking skim milk and using margarine to eating only raw butter and raw milk and they lost a bunch of weight and lowered their cholesterol. They also cut out sugar entirely, though, and watched their portion sizes, so it's hard to say which factor(s) played the biggest part. They swear by the raw milk/butter, though.
    I really want raw milk, but have not been able to find a supplier............ yet

Sorry...but what do you mean by 'raw milk'?? Think I'm the other side of the pond lol :-))
    Milk that has not been pasteurized. Basically straight from the cow. There is allot of controversy about it here.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I think it's fine as long as you're choosing healthy foods (that happen to have fat in them) and staying within your allotted calories.

I do eat low fat dairy because nothing weird is added to it, it's just the same thing as the full fat, but skimmed. Otherwise, I eat the real thing -- even real sugar if you can believe it! I think I'm a dying breed.

I agree with everything you said....and YES to real sugar! I have avoided sugar-free foods for a very long time....... unless you're diabetic and MUST avoid sugar, they are totally useless to a person's diet and I believe they are dangerous to our systems! I also avoid non-fat foods that SHOULD have fat in them - like cheeses and yogurts.

All things in moderation.......and trying to keep my food as REAL as possible! God made it, we can eat it!

Exactly! I don't go out of my way to eat sugar, but if I want a sweet treat, it's going to be a real sweet treat! I HATE the taste of the fake stuff (including Stevia and the like). BLECH. I use brown sugar or honey where it makes sense and tastes good, but I'm OK with a moderate amount of refined white sugar on occassion. Like in my frozen mudslide Friday night (with caramel Bailey's and vanilla Kahlua -- yum!).
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I don't eat low fat, but I eat low saturated fat which would mean reduced fat dairy because the saturated fat in dairy has been shown to increase risk of heart disease. But that doesn't mean you can't eat it and be healthy. I'd just recommend keeping a close eye on your health, especially at first. Good luck!!
  • Silverkittycat
    Silverkittycat Posts: 1,997 Member
    Options
    For local raw milk/butter/cheese sources you can check on this site - http://www.westonaprice.org/

and the best book on food I've ever read is Nourishing Traditions by Sally Fallon.

Good Luck! :smile:
  • MSDRIZZ
    Options
    I find when it says low fat it has more carbs. I eat full fat, just less.
    Not all reduced fat dairy has more carbs and added sugar/sweetner.

I use reduced-fat cottage cheese which actually has a third fewer calories than regular, plus it keeps better.

But I also cook with butter and only usw whole milk. I also eat real cheese, although do use Phili or McLelland's extra-strong cheedar spread now and again.

I certainly don't think it's BAD to drink whole milk and eat dairy. {sorry didn't see teh reply that came in while I was writing this... thanks :happy: }

PS ... I also want to know what you mean by "raw milk"... as in un-pasturised and straight from the cow? In the UK you would certainly only be abel to buy that from a farmer's market or very local supplier as all dairy must be pasturised for retail consumption.
    Yes here too, but there is a growing raw milk movement. The thinking is that pasteurizing kills the good as well as the bad and that now that we have cleaner dairy farms and faster transportation spoilage is not as much of an issue.
  • chocolattahottie
    Options
    I am a supporter of you =)

artifical sweetners make me super sick, I am allergic, and 0 calories is not worth me having migraines and nausea.
  • MSDRIZZ
    Options
    For local raw milk/butter/cheese sources you can check on this site - http://www.westonaprice.org/

and the best book on food I've ever read is Nourishing Traditions by Sally Fallon.

They only have one listed that isn't a few hours away. They don't answer the phone and have no email listed. :sad:
    Thank you for the tip though.:happy:
  • questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options
    I don't eat low fat, but I eat low saturated fat which would mean reduced fat dairy because the saturated fat in dairy has been shown to increase risk of heart disease.

Interestingly, a 2010 meta-analysis failed to show any link: http://www.ajcn.org/content/early/2010/01/13/ajcn.2009.27725.abstract

That's not to say that individuals shouldn't exercise caution (especially since meta-analyses can be conducted to show all sorts of things).

And an edit to add a blog with a meta-analysis of meta-analyses (not exactly, but a look at a few older, clinical studies that also failed to show a link between saturated fat and negative outcomes): http://www.proteinpower.com/drmike/cardiovascular-disease/saturated-fat-and-heart-disease-studies-old-and-new/
  • MSDRIZZ
    Options

Going to check that book out.
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options

The whole factor of cutting out sugar except for vegetables and fruits and adding in fat played the parts of lowering their cholesterol and with them losing weight.

The more fat you eat, the faster you will lose fat from your body. Also, cutting sugar aids in weight loss due to the fact that insulin levels are consistent instead of being on a up and down roller coaster ride.
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    I don't eat low fat, but I eat low saturated fat which would mean reduced fat dairy because the saturated fat in dairy has been shown to increase risk of heart disease. But that doesn't mean you can't eat it and be healthy. I'd just recommend keeping a close eye on your health, especially at first. Good luck!!

Excess carbs (except fruits and vegetables) and sugar is what REALLY causes heart disease from the inflammation.

Saturated fat in generous amounts and cutting the carbs in sugar and grains is not healthy. In fact, it is a natural way to eat without having to process those foods..............unlike grains which has to be heavily processed to make it edible.

Ancel Keys had it all wrong and I am sorry to say that most people bought it and are still buying it hook, line and sinker.
  • Silverkittycat
    Silverkittycat Posts: 1,997 Member
    Options

Going to check that book out.

You'll love it! I've bought it for almost everyone I know, and then some. :)
  • Zeromilediet
    Zeromilediet Posts: 787 Member
    Options

For those in the UK ... from the all-knowing wikipedia:

Distribution of raw milk is illegal in Scotland. While it is legal in England, Wales, and Northern Ireland, the only registered producers are in England.[13] About 200 producers sell raw, or "green top" milk direct to consumers, either at the farm, at a Farmers' market, or through a delivery service. The bottle must display the warning "this product has not been heat-treated and may contain organisms harmful to health", and the dairy must conform to higher hygiene standards than dairies producing only pasteurised milk.

As it is only legal to supply unpasteurised milk direct to consumers, it is illegal to be sold on the High Street, via shops or supermarkets.
  • bcattoes
    Options

Excess carbs (except fruits and vegetables) and sugar is what REALLY causes heart disease from the inflammation.

Saturated fat in generous amounts and cutting the carbs in sugar and grains is not healthy. In fact, it is a natural way to eat without having to process those foods..............unlike grains which has to be heavily processed to make it edible.

Ancel Keys had it all wrong and I am sorry to say that most people bought it and are still buying it hook, line and sinker.

What is your obsession with Ancel Keys? Geez, he's been dead for years. Surely you can find something more recent to pick on.
  • questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options

What is your obsession with Ancel Keys? Geez, he's been dead for years. Surely you can find something more recent to pick on.

Now that seems to be just picking a fight.
  • bcattoes
    Options

Now that seems to be just picking a fight.

I have just seen that same post over and over, when no one else mentions Ansel Keys. I am genuinely curious as to why he keeps coming up so much. And he didn't have it "all wrong". His research was important and spurred further research that shapes health recommendation to this day. Sure, it wasn't complete. Just as research done today will be considered incomplete in the future. It's research.
  • MSDRIZZ
    Options
    Thanks for all the input, guys. I'll let you know how it goes. :smile: