Options

Replies

• sarahmaryfearnley
    sarahmaryfearnley Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

But not on the sidewalk where people walk?? :noway:
    [/quote]

I'm going to take a wild guess that you've never been to New Orleans.
  • plagirl227
    Options
    I'm not a dog owner. I'm curious...what is an "appropriate" place to leave poo?

On stairs in an apartment complex. I really hate when i leave my apartment and go down the stairs and see a trail of dog ***t.

Oh dang, I read that wrong. Well anyway I don't think there is an appropriate place to leave poop

I thought you were being sarcastic! Hahahahahahaha!!
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options
    BTW... it's not "only dog poo"...

1. Dog poop is NOT good fertilizer. It's toxic to your lawn! The high nutrient concentration in dog poop will burn and discolor the grass, creating "hot spots".

2. Nearly two decades ago, the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) classified pet waste as a dangerous pollutant in the same category as toxic chemicals and oil.

3. You may not live near water, but unscooped poop from your yard is carried by overland water flow or is washed into storm drains, ending up in far away streams, rivers and ground water.

4. The U.S. Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) confirms pet waste can spread parasites including hookworms, ringworms, tapeworms and Salmonella. When infected dog poop comes into contact with your lawn, the poop will eventually "disappear", but the parasite eggs can linger for years! When a human or animal comes into contact with that soil through everyday activities like walking barefoot, gardening or playing, they risk infection from those eggs ... even years after the poop is gone.

5. Pet waste is teaming with E. Coli and other harmful bacteria including fecal coliform bacteria, which causes serious kidney disorders, intestinal illness, cramps and diarrhea in humans. (There are 23 million fecal coliform bacteria in a single gram of pet waste!)

6. Dog poop often contains roundworm larvae, which cause blindness. If a human ingests a roundworm larva, it can migrate through the body causing disease to the brain, lungs, kidneys, liver, heart or eyes. So when people (especially children) touch soil, dog toys or anything that has been in contact with dog feces and then touch their mouths, they can become infected.

Dog poop doesn't just "wash away" or disappear. So if you're not disposing of your dog's waste, you're putting yourself, your family, your dog and your water supply at risk.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    BTW... it's not "only dog poo"...

1. Dog poop is NOT good fertilizer. It's toxic to your lawn! The high nutrient concentration in dog poop will burn and discolor the grass, creating "hot spots".

2. Nearly two decades ago, the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) classified pet waste as a dangerous pollutant in the same category as toxic chemicals and oil.

3. You may not live near water, but unscooped poop from your yard is carried by overland water flow or is washed into storm drains, ending up in far away streams, rivers and ground water.

4. The U.S. Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) confirms pet waste can spread parasites including hookworms, ringworms, tapeworms and Salmonella. When infected dog poop comes into contact with your lawn, the poop will eventually "disappear", but the parasite eggs can linger for years! When a human or animal comes into contact with that soil through everyday activities like walking barefoot, gardening or playing, they risk infection from those eggs ... even years after the poop is gone.

5. Pet waste is teaming with E. Coli and other harmful bacteria including fecal coliform bacteria, which causes serious kidney disorders, intestinal illness, cramps and diarrhea in humans. (There are 23 million fecal coliform bacteria in a single gram of pet waste!)

6. Dog poop often contains roundworm larvae, which cause blindness. If a human ingests a roundworm larva, it can migrate through the body causing disease to the brain, lungs, kidneys, liver, heart or eyes. So when people (especially children) touch soil, dog toys or anything that has been in contact with dog feces and then touch their mouths, they can become infected.

Dog poop doesn't just "wash away" or disappear. So if you're not disposing of your dog's waste, you're putting yourself, your family, your dog and your water supply at risk.

7. It is effing gross.
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    Here's an absolutely true story...this morning, I'm walking up to my building to go in to work....lady is peeing against our building...this is at around 8:50am....people are all over...and there she is...peeing. I love the International District. :drinker:
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    My dog really, really likes to eat the makeup remover wipes I use (Kirkland/Costco brand). Apparently, to her, they are very tasty. I can no longer throw them away in the garbage can in my bedroom because I can rarely get them away from her fast enough when she finds one; she swallows them whole.

One time, we're out walking her and she squats down to do her business. She stands up to walk on and as I bend down to pick up what's left behind notice about 3 inches of white cloth sticking out of her butt! I had no idea what to do at that point. I didn't even want to try to pull it out but I also didn't want to continue to walk with her down the street. My husband almost ran about 100 yards ahead of us when he realized what was going on, as if he didn't know us! Thankfully, she stopped a few seconds later and pooped the rest of it out. I was laughing and disgusted all at the same time.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    I'm not a dog owner. I'm curious...what is an "appropriate" place to leave poo?

A garbage can.
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    My neighbors have a lot of dogs and they're tied up outside all day. My whole yard smells like dog poo all the time, even though there's no dog poo in it. It's especially delightful on hot, humid days. And I LOVE it when the German shepherd takes a poop when we're trying to play on the swingset. Such a pleasant aroma. :sick:
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    Here's a simple rule...

If you don't own the land, pick up the damm poo!
  • NoAdditives
    Options
    Pick up your dog's ****. Seriously. Some of us are trying to have a civilization here.

For real. Just because it's a natural bodily function doesn't mean it cool to leave it anywhere other than a trash can. People flush their toilets right? Parents throw away poopy diapers. Why should dog poop be any special?
  • NoAdditives
    Options
    My neighbors have a lot of dogs and they're tied up outside all day. My whole yard smells like dog poo all the time, even though there's no dog poo in it. It's especially delightful on hot, humid days. And I LOVE it when the German shepherd takes a poop when we're trying to play on the swingset. Such a pleasant aroma. :sick:

That sounds like animal cruelty to me.
  • ajbeans
    Options

That sounds like animal cruelty to me.

Yeah, you and me both. But they've been reported, to no avail.
  • leynak
    leynak Posts: 963 Member
    Options

I have a step sister that has been blind in her left eye since she was 3 for this reason.
  • dandur
    dandur Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I'm one of those lucky people that has a fire hydrant in my front yard. And apparently that's a sign that says it's ok for your dog to **** all over my yard. Actually I really don't mind...as LONG AS YOU PICK UP AFTER IT!!

Luckily I have my home office at the front of the house with a great view of said fire hydrant. I catch 90 percent of the little *kitten*. Now when I see someone walking their dog i will actually open the front door and stand on the porch watching them to make sure they stoop and scoop. My wife thinks i'm nuts.

I've actually followed people home to get their address to either A) call the city on them (which works like a charm where I live...they have people JUST for that sort of thing..seriously) or B) I'll gather up their dog's leavings then deposit in their mailbox with a note.

If you can't be a responsible dog owner, then DON'T BE ONE AT ALL!
  • rockieschick
    rockieschick Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Pick up your dog's ****. Seriously. Some of us are trying to have a civilization here.

For real. Just because it's a natural bodily function doesn't mean it cool to leave it anywhere other than a trash can. People flush their toilets right? Parents throw away poopy diapers. Why should dog poop be any special?

Actually, parents dont always pick up their kids poop! As a flight attendant I had to pick up S***T from the seat pocket. Worse part, happens way more then you could think. NOW that is discusting!
  • ajbeans
    Options
    We used to live in a neighborhood where apparently there were either some giant dogs running loose OR several people with big dogs who didn't carry poo bags, because we would have multiple-day stretches where our entire yard would be covered in giant poop mountains. Very lovely when I had two toddlers. And then we'd have no new poo for a couple of weeks, and then suddenly we'd be covered in it again. I always wished I could do what dandur does, but I never could catch the jerks.
  • TDGee
    TDGee Posts: 2,209 Member
    Options
    5. Pet waste is teaming with E. Coli and other harmful bacteria including fecal coliform bacteria,

Do they have shirts and a logo?? 'Cause that would be a great sight to behold.
  • rockieschick
    rockieschick Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I have 3 dogs. I pick up after them as much as possible. Dont even think I ever left anything behind ever. But here, people seem to leave their Horses to poop all over the trails. I dont find that appropriate either.
  • Adynata
    Adynata Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    We've not actually had any real pooping incidents with our dog, luckily. The same cannot be said of one of my friends and his dog, however.

He was walking on his way to go on a run with his dog, when suddenly the dog starts doing its business on the side of a main road. Bagless and ages away from a bin (and not wanting to run with a bag of poop anyway) my friend is left to stand in shame as the whole world drives by and judges him. Now in the town we live in, there are these creepy Big Brother style security cameras that shout at you on a loudspeaker for committing small offences, such as littering or starting a fight. Expecting to be shouted at by one of these cameras to pick up the dog crap, he hurries off on his way to the run site. After half an hour's walk and well in to the middle of nowhere, he's chased down by a police car that's spotted him on the camera and has to argue his way out of getting a hefty fine. Always bag your dog poop in Middlesbrough, kids.
  • sarahmaryfearnley
    sarahmaryfearnley Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Here's an absolutely true story...this morning, I'm walking up to my building to go in to work....lady is peeing against our building...this is at around 8:50am....people are all over...and there she is...peeing. I love the International District. :drinker:

Another time - oh, I'm sure to be blasted for this one - my friend and I were walking her dog early the Sun bf Mardis Gras. We lived on a street where the floats line up for the parades so there was lots of activity and comotion getting ready for Thoth to roll. This poor kid, that had obviously been out all night and lost his friends was sitting on the curb with his head in his hands wearing a white t-shirt. We were looking at the floats and I think Georgie (the bulldog) thought that kid was a bag of trash since he wasn't moving and marked him. The really funny part is that kid did not even notice!