Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Info of the Day: "Stop eating Late."

Few people have asked, me How come I don't eat after 5pm?
Well, The 5pm was pretty much my personal choice do to my schedulle because I am an early, early bird.
I started out not eating after 7pm because after 7pm your food doesn't digest until the next day...typically, just sitting there and your metabolism has slooooowed down for the day and you're about to go to sleep. :noway:

So, after putting this into practice...I noticed, I felt so much better when getting ready to start my day and, when I am closing my day out; Not only that, but I accomplish more during the day because I start it earlier and because I am in my higher burn zone. I really don't bloat as much anymore. I do not feel hungry after 5pm.

One of the things, I haven't conquered is that I am no social butterfly since, I've gained this weight and stay to myself alot Not that I am Anti-Social but ...That's another topic, AnyHoo....

Stop Eating 3 Hours Before Bedtime

You've probably seen the suggestion of not eating anything after 7 p.m. Well this generally assumes you go to bed around 9 or 10 at night.

If you are a night owl, you may retire a little later so it may seem unrealistic to not eat anything after 7 if you don't go to bed until 12 a.m.

Generally, the rule of the thumb is to not eat anything within 3 hours of your bedtime. So if you do usually go to sleep at 1 a.m. this would mean no food intake after 10 p.m.

The reason you don't want to eat late at night is because your food may not properly digest. This can cause morning gas and stomach cramps.

Some people who complain about bloating never realize that it's from the gas and food particles left over from improper digestion. This can be avoided if you cut down the late night snacking.

Eating late at night also forces your body to use its energy on digestion,. One of the primary functions of sleep is to help you recuperate from the day. You want your body to be as relaxed as possible so you can wake up energized.

Now we all know we have to cheat at some points. :huh: It's just not realistic to believe you can refrain from eating late at night every single night. So if you must cheat, then eat something healthy like a piece of fruit or a very small handful of nuts.

Hope this Helps,
Stay Encouraged...As Always MzBHavin'

SMOOCHES! :flowerforyou:

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    for weight loss it makes no difference if you eat 3 hrs before bed or 1 min before bed
  • Thank you for posting this! I'd heard about the 3 hour rule before but it's nice to see it explained!
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    I'm glad you found something that works for you. But we're not all you. There's no truth to the 3 hour rule or at least it's not as universal as the post makes it out. I eat right until bedtime and don't have bloating or gas issues in the morning lol Maybe I would have such problems if I were to eat crap but then it wouldn't matter WHEN I ate crap, I would still have such issues.
  • Sublog
    Sublog Posts: 1,296 Member
    for weight loss it makes no difference if you eat 3 hrs before bed or 1 min before bed

This^^^

Meal timing is irrelevant. Only daily cumulative intake is. Eat when you want to, it makes zero difference in body composition.
  • Kelly_Wilson1990
    Kelly_Wilson1990 Posts: 3,245 Member
    My nutritionist says to eat protein before bed to aid in weight loss.
  • Larius
    Larius Posts: 507 Member

Correct.
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member

Word, I can take a nap after lunch and go to sleep at night right after dinner and still lose weight.
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    False
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    If I didn't eat in the 3 hours before bedtime I'd have to skip dinner. I think this is a good rule for people who eat their evening meal early because it would stop the after dinner munching. But it doesn't fit my schedule and eating late (often one 30 - 60 min before bedtime) didn't stop me from meeting my goal and keeping it off.
  • clw_888
    clw_888 Posts: 157 Member

Correct.

I have always heard this is incorrect also. 200 calories at night is going to be the same as 200 at lunch or breakfast. If it is over your total intake, you won't lose. If it is under your intake goal...you will!
  • writtenINthestars
    writtenINthestars Posts: 1,933 Member
    I eat IN bed....I'm not doing this right, am I?
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    I regularly have minimal calorie intake before dinnertime and have the majority of my cals at dinner, where "dinner" means the period from 7pm-bedtime. It's worked for me. lol So don't be afraid to eat as late as you want, as long as you're within your cal goals!
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Thank you for posting this rubbish! :flowerforyou:
  • I do notice if I eat light dinner early I feel super fresh in the morning. I also notice if I don't eat 10-14 hours I tend to loose weight fast. However, I am totally fine with not eating after 5 or 6 pm weekdays, but how about weekend? going out or even stay home late during weekend is usual for me.. not going to make me happy :)) if I have starve and don't have some time off :))
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Info of the Day: "Stop spreading stupid myths." :flowerforyou:
  • sweetsarahj
    sweetsarahj Posts: 701 Member

^^ He's right.

It matters more WHAT you eat in teh evening, not if you eat. Obviously if you eat a bag of chips before bed, that wasn't the right choice. But some low fat cheese, a protein shake, these things won't make you gain weight overnight.

Oh yeah, and what you an expert anyway? Damn I really have a love/hate relationship with these forums.
  • sweetsarahj
    Info of the Day: "Stop spreading stupid myths." :flowerforyou:

bahahahahahha
  • sweetsarahj
    I eat IN bed....I'm not doing this right, am I?

HAHAHA you're hilar. Let's be friends.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member

^^ He's right.

It matters more WHAT you eat in teh evening, not if you eat. Obviously if you eat a bag of chips before bed, that wasn't the right choice. But some low fat cheese, a protein shake, these things won't make you gain weight overnight.

but chips will, even if you are in a caloric deficit?
  • i_love_vinegar
    i_love_vinegar Posts: 2,092 Member
    Not true. Same as the 1,200 calories per day = starvation mode myth that is popular here. The actual number for starvation mode has been shown to be 600 calories per day.

The "don't eat after ____" idea is good in concept though, as it may help prevent binges. :)