Does Excersizing in 'Excersize' Clothes help?

Options
Is it a mind over matter thing to put gym clothes on?

Or does actually having a set of designed 'gym clothes' really help in performance?

I went out and got a nice sports bra, top and leggings (capri style). WalMart was having a good deal on the DanSkin line, and I feel good in it, and feel good when I move in it- but i am wondering if this is all placebo?

Either way. I like it xD! Just curious!

Replies

• Chowder_17
    Chowder_17 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    For me, just getting dressed to exercise is half the battle. As soon as I'm dressed, I'm ready to hit it hard. I believe it works.
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    I think it's like anything -- the right tools for the job. You wouldn't go swimming in your jeans, you wouldn't go cycling in a dress, right?

Close-fitting exercise clothes made of appropriate fabrics for your work out are meant to make your workout easier--they are designed to prevent friction, wick away moisture, be non-binding so you can move and stretch freely without loose sleeves or whatever catching on equipment.

blessings.
  • jmruef
    jmruef Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    I don't do anything else in those clothes - they are my dedicated workout clothes. Once they're on, I'm committed! And darnit, I spent money on them, so no way am I not going to wear them.
  • sexygenius
    sexygenius Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    bra and pants are important,if you are large, the shirt doesnt matter. exercising in jeans,especially those without stretch isnt fun, neither are jumping jacks without the proper bra
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    for me it's comfort, I don't like loose, ill-fitting clothes that will rub, fall down, etc, my Nike pants and shirts also keep my dry, and a sports bra is a no brainer.....regular old Victoria's Secret won't hold these puppies down on a run =)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,523 Member
    Options
    IMO yes. The correct clothes make it more tolerable to heat, cold or even movement. Try squatting in jeans. Or wearing sweats that don't wick off moisture. Or shorts that don't protect your inner thighs right and you end up getting a rash on your upper legs from them rubbing together.
    I say a good set of work out clothing encourages a better workout.
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    It comes down to comfort basically. If you're fine exercising in a 3 piece suit, then that's fine. If you require an exotic leopard print leotard to feel right, that is fine too.
  • ohsogoodfitness
    Options
    you get dressed for the job you are about to do. It says not only to others, but to yourself, you are seriuous and commited to what you are doing. I always felt better in my clothes, verses nasty old t-shirt, and loose shorts.
  • Kekibird
    Kekibird Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    I put money into comfortable workout clothes for two reasons. a) It gets my mind set to work out. It says, Yes I'm working out today. b) And a lot of workout clothing is made for movement and sweat. Having a pair of pants for just that helps to keep down chaffing and heat rashes. Believe, I went hiking the other weekend in just plain ol' shorts and ended up with a rash on my inner thigh. Hurt like heck.

And for some, they may not need this but I do. It helps.

Katie
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    It's placebo, but you know, I LIKE it, so I do it.

I like having dedicated exercise clothes that I don't wear for other purposes. When I pull 'em out of the laundry, they go straight back into the gym bag-- bra and all.

But I make a point to buy my gym clothes at Goodwill because (a) I'ma cheapskate; (b) they ALWAYS have them, and (c) I'm not gonna be this size forever, dammit, and so why should I spend a bunch of money that I'm gonna shrink out of in six months?!

My one exception is Infrastructure for the Girls. The Girls need support when they get jostled around at the gym, so I buy them the good stuff.
  • JamesonsMommy
    JamesonsMommy Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    as far as the sports bra.. If you are bigger on top it will help support you better (i wear 2 because i'm a DD) A lot of the clothes let your skin breathe a little better so yes they help :) another good place to check is target, gap and old navy.. Their stuff is always on sale for cheap (not walmart cheap though...lol)
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    It's placebo, but you know, I LIKE it, so I do it.

I like having dedicated exercise clothes that I don't wear for other purposes. When I pull 'em out of the laundry, they go straight back into the gym bag-- bra and all.

But I make a point to buy my gym clothes at Goodwill because (a) I'ma cheapskate; (b) they ALWAYS have them, and (c) I'm not gonna be this size forever, dammit, and so why should I spend a bunch of money that I'm gonna shrink out of in six months?!

My one exception is Infrastructure for the Girls. The Girls need support when they get jostled around at the gym, so I buy them the good stuff.
  • starz13
    starz13 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    For me its convience....trackpants are cheaper then jeans....and i hate wearing my jeans out with the long walks.....and i can do knee lifts and so on in them

I would not be able to do any jumping without a decent sports bra....

but i tend to wear tank top, old tshirt as a top just whatever i find :)
  • reese66
    reese66 Posts: 2,920 Member
    Options
    For me, just getting dressed to exercise is half the battle. As soon as I'm dressed, I'm ready to hit it hard. I believe it works.

This and some of the clothes are designed to keep you cooler.
  • UrbanRunner81
    UrbanRunner81 Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options

Close-fitting exercise clothes made of appropriate fabrics for your work out are meant to make your workout easier--they are designed to prevent friction, wick away moisture, be non-binding so you can move and stretch freely without loose sleeves or whatever catching on equipment.

yep yep!
  • JamesonsMommy
    JamesonsMommy Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    It comes down to comfort basically. If you're fine exercising in a 3 piece suit, then that's fine. If you require an exotic leopard print leotard to feel right, that is fine too.

LOL!! very well put
  • charityateet
    charityateet Posts: 576 Member
    Options

This and some of the clothes are designed to keep you cooler.

Or just make you "look cooler?"
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Options
    You dress for work, you dress for a party, you dress to do the decorating. So apart from the work out clothes being more comfortable and practical, psychologically you are preparing yourself to perform a certain task so,yes the help. When I have put my gym clothes on there is no going back I am ready to go.
  • Michelle_M2002
    Michelle_M2002 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I work out in a snug sports bra that zips up the front, a tank top and a pair of capri yoga pants. It's what's comfortable to me. It's nothing fancy, and it's not a "set" so it's not about "I feel good because I look good." It's all about personal comfort. Some people work out in basketball shorts and a tee-shirt. Wouldn't be comfortable to me though.

Putting on the workout clothes DOES help me begin to get in the right frame of mind for working out. Just like working out puts me in a better mood to face the day.

God bless!
  • MochaMixAZ
    MochaMixAZ Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    I think the right clothes help - keeps things in place, supports the right things, and puts me in the right mindset.