Does Excersizing in 'Excersize' Clothes help?

Options

Replies

• wendibartel
    Options
    I have "Excersize" pants that I like to wear but I am just not quite comfortable yet to wear tight fitting tops. So I just use a t-shirt. However during my last weight loss adventure Prebaby I did get more comfortable in tighter clothing. I cant wait to be there again.
  • CountryDevil
    CountryDevil Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    Only if you exercise in them.

It comes down to whatever you are comfortable in. If that means that you are more comfortable in a t-shirt and baggy shorts, then that is what you should exercise in. But if that means excersizing in your undies is the most comfy, then go for it.
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't say it helps at all, but it just feels better. Most exercise clothes tend to be softer, lighter weight and cut to be more adaptable to the body and it's movements. So doing the exercise just feels better while in those clothes instead of just regular tees or lounge pants. I admittedly run in "normal" tees, but its because I was poaching from clothes I was gonna get rid of. I purposefully chose the softest of the soft tees, because they're just confuse in general.

Also, you'll want more than one of everything unless you plan to do laundry every time you exercise. My stuff gets so sweaty sometimes it gets stiff when dry and/white ring around where each major sweat spot was. Definitely not anything you want to wear twice without washing in between.
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    I'm a fashion junkie and would love to dress up with any excuse. LOL
    I don't go to gym, but would still want to look presentable when doing my daily walking. That's just my personal choice. Some gym clothes might offer extra support as a benefit.
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    I'm a fashion junkie and would love to dress up with any excuse. LOL
    I don't go to gym, but would still want to look presentable when doing my daily walking. That's just my personal choice. Some gym clothes might offer extra support as a benefit.
  • Thesoundofwolf
    Thesoundofwolf Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    It comes down to comfort basically. If you're fine exercising in a 3 piece suit, then that's fine. If you require an exotic leopard print leotard to feel right, that is fine too.

Only if I have a top hat good sir!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Last week, I was only doing a quickie 20 minute workout, so I kept my denim shorts on, which are stretchy and comfortable, and they felt HORRIBLE. So binding and restrictive, and I sweat like a mo-fo in them.

And last time I went jogging in a regular bra, the underwire dug a hole in my chest. Not fun. :frown:
  • DaniellePF
    DaniellePF Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Uncomfortable clothes that ride up/slide down can ruin my workout. So if I find something good that stays in place, I do get more out of my workout.
  • dawnw30
    dawnw30 Posts: 270
    Options
    Yup - gotta keep the boobage in place and the pants where they need to be. Plus if I do a t-shirt I find myself having to stop and re-arrange stuff cause it shifts on me. Love my WalMart workout gear! :wink:
  • ASPhantom
    ASPhantom Posts: 637 Member
    Options
    I think if you are gonna take the time to get dressed, you will follow thru and do the work out.

I can't work out in regular clothes or pjs, it has to be my work out clothes.
  • khk2010
    khk2010 Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    I had never purchased work out clothes before. Now that I have, I love it. It is comfort, makes me feel prepared and ready to sweat. Also I bought tops with built in bras which helps a lot.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    bra and pants are important,if you are large, the shirt doesnt matter. exercising in jeans,especially those without stretch isnt fun, neither are jumping jacks without the proper bra

We're going to have to agree to disagree here. Watching someone do jumping jacks without the proper bra I consider to be a LOT of fun (and it motivates me to workout harder!)
  • Thesoundofwolf
    Thesoundofwolf Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    When I first started working out, as an adult in non required gym PE clothes, it was using Dance Central, and i wore my jean shorts and random shirt. It was embarsing because every five seconds I had to lift my shorts back up x.x

I am most defiantly enjoying having work out clothes now, either way.
  • TDGee
    TDGee Posts: 2,209 Member
    Options
    IMO yes. The correct clothes make it more tolerable to heat, cold or even movement. Try squatting in jeans. Or wearing sweats that don't wick off moisture. Or shorts that don't protect your inner thighs right and you end up getting a rash on your upper legs from them rubbing together.
    I say a good set of work out clothing encourages a better workout.

This from the man who was reported for teaching a class and making an old lady have impure thoughts about him. <---TEASING!! :laugh:
    Wear what you want to wear, whatever fits the activity. I prefer old red long johns with blue briefs on top and a towel around my neck like a cape. I feel like I'm Superman when I ride my bike. It really is freeing. That and people tend to leave me alone too.
  • caroln3
    caroln3 Posts: 217
    Options
    It's placebo, but you know, I LIKE it, so I do it.

I like having dedicated exercise clothes that I don't wear for other purposes. When I pull 'em out of the laundry, they go straight back into the gym bag-- bra and all.

But I make a point to buy my gym clothes at Goodwill because (a) I'ma cheapskate; (b) they ALWAYS have them, and (c) I'm not gonna be this size forever, dammit, and so why should I spend a bunch of money that I'm gonna shrink out of in six months?!

My one exception is Infrastructure for the Girls. The Girls need support when they get jostled around at the gym, so I buy them the good stuff.

You aren't the only one :)
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    For me, just getting dressed to exercise is half the battle. As soon as I'm dressed, I'm ready to hit it hard. I believe it works.

Me too!
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    bra and pants are important,if you are large, the shirt doesnt matter. exercising in jeans,especially those without stretch isnt fun, neither are jumping jacks without the proper bra

We're going to have to agree to disagree here. Watching someone do jumping jacks without the proper bra I consider to be a LOT of fun (and it motivates me to workout harder!)

HAHAHA....They didn't have the good sports bras when I was in high-school, but seem to recall attendance at the girls basketball games increasing when I played, so I certainly believe you there!
  • TheBraveryLover
    TheBraveryLover Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    It does help me out for sure. I work out at home, but I love putting on my exercise tights and sports bra and gym shoes. I like seeing the outline of my body while wearing fitted exercise gear and it helps me to move and/or run faster than if I wore loose fitting clothes or sweats.
  • moondust7
    moondust7 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    For a dedicated workout (whether it's going to the gym, popping in the exercise DVD in the living room, or walking around the neighborhood), workout clothes help put me in the right mindset, are more comfortable, and they stretch!! But, I do some minor exercising during the day at work (basically just walking around outside briskly for 15-30 minutes at a time and stretching) and stay in my work clothes for that. The difference I've seen with that is that it's good and gets my blood pumping after I've been sitting down for so long, but it doesn't make it seem like a workout at all. I think the workout clothes make a big difference in how I approach the routine because I feel better sweating and moving in them! That being said, I'm not going to give up my walks and stretching at work just because I don't dress for it! Exercise clothes definitely help!! Also, you can have some fun with the workout clothes you wear! When I'm home, I have to admit to sometimes wearing leg warmers that are left-over from my teenage ballet years LOL I love them, and they keep my leg muscles warm, but I probably wouldn't wear them in public! :-D
  • Delicate
    Delicate Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I would rather not go to the gym, than go without the appropriate clothing for it.

It improves my work out, without a doubt, I've changed to capri cause i work out better in them than in trousers.