Need Greek Yogurt Recipes PLEASE!

Options
AlmostMrsP
AlmostMrsP Posts: 65 Member
Hi All,

I have a tub of nonfat plain Greek yogurt in my fridge that I bought to use in a recipe. I made the recipe and now have a lot left over. I would love some tasty recipes of what people use Greek Yogurt in. I've never bought it before, and I'm not a huge yogurt eater so I'm hoping to find some good stuff to do with it instead of letting it go to waste.

Thanks!

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    mix with protein powder or sugar free/fat free instant pudding mix, thin out with a little milk if it gets too thick. top with berries/nuts etc
  • EmilyAnn89
    EmilyAnn89 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    put about 2 teaspoons of a ranch packet / 1/4 cup and dip veggies in it!!
  • alecta337
    alecta337 Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    If you have a blender: Mix the yogurt, orange juice, and any berries you want together for a delicious smoothie. You can add protein powder, avocado, or spinach if you're feeling adventurous.

If you don't have a blender then mix the yogurt with granola and berries and some honey if you need it sweeter
  • SunshineKisses_2012
    Options
    Made this tonight and it is awesome! Adjust to taste, but my 5 yo son asked for seconds (not something that occurs often that doesn't have 10 lbs of cheese in it)

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/341420-awesome-chicken-casserole-corn-black-beans-brown-rice
  • gianna42
    gianna42 Posts: 5,991 Member
    Options
    I often use it as a sour cream substitute - recipes, as well as a topping for taco salad (along with salsa - one of my favorites!)
  • zoezmommy
    Options
    I add diced cucumber, cumin and oregano to mine, Then I use that sauce on grilled turkey burgers in pita bread...
  • Armillata
    Armillata Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    You can use it the way you would sour cream in a lot of recipes, or as a replacement for mayonnaise in dips and sauces and things like chicken salad.
  • Kym1610
    Kym1610 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I sometimes make a little dip/sauce with mine to go with my vegetables.

I use anywhere between 50-100grams of yogurt, 1 teaspoon of cruched garlic, 1 teaspoon of ginger, a squirt of lemon juice, and a shake of dried mixed herbs. Stir well.

You can also use the above as a marinade.
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options
    I eat it with oatmeal/fruit/honey and it's delicious, I also eat it with hot rice cereal. So delicious, but it might be too yougurt-y if you don't like yogurt.
  • emswear
    Options
    make tzatziki sauce!! its greek and really yummy, especially as a veggie dip. its one of my favorites!

2 (8 ounce) containers plain yogurt
    2 cucumbers - peeled, seeded and diced
    2 tablespoons olive oil
    1/2 lemon, juiced
    salt and pepper to taste
    1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill
    3 cloves garlic, peeled
    Directions

In a food processor or blender, combine yogurt, cucumber, olive oil, lemon juice, salt, pepper, dill and garlic. Process until well-combined. Transfer to a separate dish, cover and refrigerate for at least one hour for best flavor.
  • SunshineKisses_2012
    Options
    I add diced cucumber, cumin and oregano to mine, Then I use that sauce on grilled turkey burgers in pita bread...

Oooh! I'll have to try this!!
  • JenCat162
    JenCat162 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I put Crystal Light in it.
  • slp2112
    slp2112 Posts: 107
    Options
    I use it in this recipe for pancakes instead of using cottage cheese:

http://www.integralfuel.com/integralfuel.com/Recipe_4.html
  • jskaggs1971
    jskaggs1971 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    First post from me.
    I have really come to like Greek yogurt. Here's a great sauce from leftover greek yogurt.

Baja-Style Avocado Cream Sauce

1/2 C greek yogurt
    1 ripe avocado, peeled, pitted and sliced.
    Juice of 1 fresh lime.

Put it all in the food processor and whirl until it is smooth. Thin with milk if it's too thick.

I use this baja-style avocado cream on grilled fish tacos. It's great on lots of other stuff too.

My usual use for Greek yogurt is in my breakfast smoothie. I make mine with 8 oz milk, a heaping tablespoon full of greek yogurt, a scoop of protein powder, and frozen fruit, blended smooth. I prefer frozen bananas and berries, but use whatever fruit you like. The protein in the yogurt and the added protein powder keep me from getting hungry until lunchtime. Bananas and some peanut butter are also a tasty variation, especially with a little bit of espresso blended in.
  • Twoody83
    Twoody83 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Make oatmeal with raw pumpkin, cinnamon, almonds, blueberries and top with the yoghurt....sooooo good.
  • NOLA_Meg
    NOLA_Meg Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Cheesecake!
    Add a spoonful of instant cheesecake pudding mix (sugarfree or regular) and top with strawberries or blueberries and crumble some graham crackers for a little texture if you like
  • Laura_beau
    Laura_beau Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    Add a couple of tsp's of pesto to it for a nice dip- eat with veggies, salad & pitta strips.

Add mint for a sauce to go with grilled meat or falafel.

Add honey & chopped almonds for a dessert.

Add milk, crushed ice & mixed berries for a smoothie

Add banana, milk, crushed ice, a hint of cinnamon for a milkshake.
  • Judas_Queen
    Judas_Queen Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I use fat free greek yogurt in "creamy" curry recipies, instead of cream!

Chop 1 whole white onion brown off in a frying pan (use fry light or olive oil, but very little olive oil)

Once soft, take 2/3's and blend to a paste like consistency and put back in pan with a clove or 2 of garlic

add in your diced chicken breast (i use turkey as its leaner and meatier!) fry off until cooked through

add your spices (I use cumin(1 tsp), curry poweder [mild/med] 2tsp, garam masala 2tsp, turmeric 1/2 tsp, cinnamon 1 tsp, ginger 1/2-1 tsp and sometimes nutmeg 1tsp)

Dollop in 2-3 tablespoons of greek yogurt and cook on a low heat to stop it separating
    add water to adjust consistency (or milk, to taste)

You can even use the yogurt and spices to marinate the meat overnight, that always tastes good

Cook up some rice.. lovely jubbly!
  • AlmostMrsP
    AlmostMrsP Posts: 65 Member
    Options

Tried this tonight on top of my Trader Joe's Chicken lime burger and it was great! Added a little avocado to the top and skipped the bread since I try to eat low carb at dinner. I will definitely do this dinner again :) thanks!

And thanks everyone for the great recipes. I will for sure to trying more of them.
  • mookette
    mookette Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    marinate chicken in it for 1 hour and cook the chicken. I like to grill mine.