What exactly is the point?

Options

Replies

• trelm249
    trelm249 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Rochelle, your right in no matter what we do some things don't change. That's life and it sucks. Your also right in that is not the point.

I found over time, things were really important to me at one time are now pretty insignificant. I also found that things I never even previously considered are some of the most important things in the world to me. Our perspectives change.

I would say it's not just about appearance. Fitness is more than being thin and perfect looking. It means the ability to engage in activities we enjoy with the people we care about. It is the ability to push ourselves to new experiences and achieve goals we know we previously couldn't. That might be backpacking the Appalachian trail, or canoeing the Buffalo river, or climbing a cliff wall in Cimmeron, NM. Or simply being able to kick @$$ and outlast the other losers in a paint ball game.
  • denisegolden
    denisegolden Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    honey, it sadens me to hear someone so young, have such a bad outlook on something so important, your health, body and life. i could sit here and tell you about all the scars i have, all the stretch marks i have and many other numerous things i would like to have different about my body, but i dont think that will help you. but i so want to tell you that everything that is going on with this body of mine tells a story, just like yours, and that is what we learn from. i dont think about the huge scar on my knee as the time i fell off my bike, but rather the time i got back on my bike after falling, i dont look at the scar under my chin as the time i jumped into a pool backwards and smacked my chin, but rather the time i swam across the pool even though my chin was gushing blood, i dont look at the six scars on my belly as the time i had to have gastric bypass because i got too fat, but rather as the time i finally made the right decision for my health, and i dont look at the stretch marks all over my body and think about how fat i was, but rather how far i've come. i have had a very rough life, as many here have, and i think everyone needs someone to talk to about their feelings, someone who doesnt judge them, someone who has only their best interest at heart, i see a psychotherapist, something to consider. feel free to add me, i will help you any way i can.
  • whatwentwrong
    Options
    i'm finding it really hard to reply :/ i've never cared all that much about how i look- not only have i always been overweight, i have highly visible (self-inflicted) scars on my arms and chest.

the point for me is that i was scared i was gonna die. i went to bed not knowing if i was going to wake up in the morning, and altho some of that was psychological, there was a big physical component as well.

you need to find your own reason. if you don't want to lose weight, you don't have to. everyone here has their own reason for losing weight, but there are also a ton of people out there who have absolutely no desire to, and there's nothing wrong with that.

however, from the rest of your post it seems like there might be some other issues. idk if you've talked to a psychiatrist before and i don't even know if the advice is welcome, but the way you refer to your "horrible, scarred body" really worries me, and i don't think it's a normal feeling :/

oh and btw, don't ever let people tell you to suck it up cos other people have worse problems than you. of course they do, no one can have the worst life, but that doesn't make you any less important.
  • jminette
    Options
    I have them, too girl. My legs are generally bruise filled and have veins and stretch marks. I'm not that big, but I gained what I did fast. And the veins run in my family.
    No one will ever look perfect, but we can be healthy and accept ourselves that way.
    And like people said, its better to be toned and scarred than fat and scarred.
  • kristydi
    kristydi Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Have you ever heard the serenity prayer?

God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    The courage to change the things I can
    And the wisdom to know the difference.

You can't really change your scars. Time and skin care will most likely fade them a bit.

You do have the power to change your weight. Don't let what you can't change keep you from changing what you can.

Everyone has scars. Lots of those scars are from stupid stuff. I have a scar on my wrist from a toaster oven, a scar on my forehead from falling when I was a kid, the side of my hand has a jagged ugly scar from a food service sized plastic wrap box that I dropped while working at Subway s a teen, the back of my index finger has a scar from being squished between the boat and the ladder I was climbing on vacation when I was 15. My point isn't that others have it worse, but that you're not alone. None of these scars has had any negative effect on my life (except for hurting when I got them) Some even make funny stories. I mean seriously, who gets 12 stitches from a box of plastic wrap?

With respect, the angst you're causing yourself is out of proportion to the problem. Control the things you can, let go of the things you can't.
  • keithaj1
    keithaj1 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    While scars (physical/mental/real or imagined) may be a reminder of past hardship and pain, they are also a testament to your ability to survive, adapt and move on. Can you look at them with shame and disgust or see them as badges of honor or you ability to continue on when things get tough. Might be a cliche, but what doesn't kill you just makes you stronger.
    When someone is depressed, hearing the "think positvie" message seems like BS but there is a lot to the power of positive thinking.
    The reason people use this site and you posted your question "What is the point?" is to get support.
    By the replies you got here tonight, I think you can see that support is out there when you seek it and are open to recieving it.
    Stay positive.
  • BrewerGeorge
    BrewerGeorge Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    I'm just going to reiterate what some others have said.

Scars and stretch marks are badges of honor. They're the roadmap of your life. I've got tons of stretch marks around my shoulders and chest from lifting weights as a teen/20-something and gaining muscle mass really fast. I've got stretch marks around my belly from eating too much and gaining fat too fast for my skin to handle. The shoulder ones are faded and white and the belly ones are livid red, but they're all just physical marks of different times in my life. Neither one defines me in any way. Your stretch marks don't define you either.

From the guys' perspective, it's true that we don't really care about that stuff. Eighteen year old boys might care, but real, grown men don't. One of the biggest regrets in my life is looking back at all the great girls I missed out on because I was young and stupid and too hung up on some physical ideal of perfection. Once your peers get into their mid 20's they're going to start growing out of that shallowness, too. If you don't want to wait that long, I guarantee that there are lots of guys out there that will appreciate you right now, but they're probably going to be the shy guys that you might have to make the first move with. Guys have self-esteem issues, too.

Also, I have no idea what kind of diet you're on, but if it's very strict it might be causing some depression issues. (If you even HAVE depression issues normally and this isn't just a bad day....) Poorly managed vegetarianism or veganism can leave you lacking some of the building blocks for seratonin. Ultra-low fat diets, or ultra-low calorie diets can do the same thing. If any of those describe your diet, you should do some more research because feeling better might be as simple as eating a little more fat, or some complete proteins.

Finally, I will tell you that nothing in life is really as important as it feels when you're 19. Everything passes and the things you think are the end of the world today become no big deal with a few years behind you. I've helped three daughters through their teens and there's another still coming up. One of those girls attempted suicide and survived to be a very strong woman who's now half way around the world having adventures. Talking to her now she says she can't believe how trivial the issues that consumed her then seem to her now in her mid 20's. Just hang in there and it will get a lot easier and make a lot more sense in a few more years.
  • sonybalony
    sonybalony Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    ^LOVE what Brewer George said! ^

A friend pointed out recently, "Scars are like tattoos, but with better stories!" :glasses:

Hon, First of all, you are a beautiful young woman:bigsmile: .

Life is what you make out of it. If you look with a negative view, you will see the negative. :frown: It is HARD being a teen:indifferent: ... Shoot it is hard being a 40 year old:laugh: ... with scars and fat and bumps and bruises. As you lose weight, you will find the stretch marks will change from big purple SCARS:ohwell: , to thin silvery marks:smile: . Yep, the ones on my belly are from 2 rotten teenagers, YEARS ago, but the ones on my upper arms, calves (along with the icky purple/blue veins), thighs, buttocks, and breasts are ALL fat related... My husband, who has never been CLOSE to fat in his ENTIRE life, has stretch marks across his lower back, as do both my sons... I am pretty positive that a HUGE amount of publications airbrush stretch marks out as a matter of course. We all have our scars, some are more visible than others...

If this is something that you have struggled with for a while, you may want to consider getting some help to resolve your body issues... If you are just having a down day/moment or even a pity party (sometimes those are just necessary):wink: ... I am glad you got to vent, it helps sometimes to see what people have to say that aren't family or friends.

Good Luck Sweetie,

:flowerforyou: ~ Sonia
  • MadeOfMagic
    MadeOfMagic Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    Sweety love yourself, you're beautiful, those are your "history marks", I have scars on my face/cheeks (big ones but faded a lil) from when my birth parents used to abuse me, I also have many stretch marks (thighs, back, stomach, arms, etc) but I love myself and it so much better to be thin and have stretch marks than to be fat and have stretch marks, plus you're beautiful and young!
    Guess what over time they will fade and there are things you can do to make it go away quite a bit.

Here are a couple things you GUYS ALL can do daily than will make any unwanted scars fade away faster :)

Use Skin Creams and Lotions with some of the following:
    • Cocoa butter (this is big +)
    • Rose hip oil
    • Emu oil
    • Jojoba oil
    • Castor oil
    • Shea butter
    • Vitamin A
    • Vitamin E
    • Vitamin C

Massage the area with stretch marks three or four times a day with moisturizers that contain cocoa butter as a prime ingredient.
    Apply self-tanner. It will help minimize the appearance of stretch marks. Exfoliate beforehand for best results.

Wheat germ oil - may help improve stretch marks in their early phase (this is great for the red ones, you can get rid of almost completely if they are still in red color stage).

Vitamin C - certain formulations might increase collagen production, but they'll only help with early-stage stretch marks; for best results, combine the vitamin C gel with glycolic acid; taking 500 mg of Vitamin C supplements three times a day may also help.

Exfoliate daily with loofah or scrunchy

Apply Vic’ Vapor Rub, it supposed to help a lot!

Hot Bass and Massages (increase circulation around scarring)

Vitamin E Gel Pills: break open and apply

I am going to do a strict exfoliating on all daily in morning shower and at after work out shower and than apply lotions with those awesome ingredients and use probably use the vapor rub, it supposed to work really good, I also have lots of "new" red stretch marks so I am going to use the germ oil and take Vitamin C daily, and do hot baths-what a great excuse to take a bath and treat yourself to something nice :)
    Don't give up, you're young it will be so much easier for you to take care of them, and these things are all know to be the best things for getting rid/fade away scars of any sort :D
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,714 Member
    Options
    Life will go on regardless of how you feel. You can choose to have a pity party or have a party for life.
  • shauna121211
    shauna121211 Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    I almost don't know what to say to this!

You only have 18 kilos to lose and you're 19 years old! I guarantee your "FAT" scars can't be too bad and your skin is young and will bounce back into place. I can also say that you are 19 years old, your scars WILL fade! Seriously! I've got some horrible scars, too many to count really... I played a lot of sports and was and still am clumsy.

Bottom line is, this is about losing weight to feel better about yourself physically and mentally. This is about gaining a strong mind and body and learning a healthy relationship with food and exercise. This isn't about becoming a supermodel and being perfect.
  • Pinky67
    Pinky67 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    The point? Your beautiful and your worth it! :flowerforyou:
  • janegeno
    janegeno Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    ^LOVE what Brewer George said! ^

A friend pointed out recently, "Scars are like tattoos, but with better stories!" :glasses:

Very much this, including the love for George Brewer's post.

And if the stretch marks and scars do not fade (I got a fantastic set at puberty which gave me boobs like giant bloodshot eyeballs at age 15!) then cover them up with tattoos. That's my plan, anyway.

Stretch marks at 15, varicose veins at 17, those were bad. The inch long scar in the center of my forehead I had been obsessed with since age 3 was as nothing in comparison. The scar from my appendectomy? I almost forgot it was there even though it is now still bigger and more visible than my c-section scar. The next rounds of both stretch marks and blue veins from having kids were expected, but disheartening because I knew that on my body once its stretched past tearing there is no rebound ever. Bio-oil and cocoa butter my *kitten*, literally. Bathed in the stuff and wasted a lot of time and money. Maybe the remedies will work for you and maybe they won't.

Did it take me about a decade to come to terms with having tiger striped ta-tas? Yupp. But damned if I don't still wear plunging necklines almost another decade later with a big old grin thankyouverymuch.

But my point is, I remember how bad those marks felt even as a fairly fit teenager: thinking that my life was over before it was begun, that I would never be comfortable letting someone see me naked, and that no matter how well I took care of myself I would never be okay. It is easy for me now to almost laugh at that 15 year old girl who was so sure nobody would ever love her before she had experienced anything of life to learn what love is, but I still remember how it felt to be her. That stops the laughter. I may have acquired enough accidental scars on my hands to cover the marks I made out of self-loathing during that time in my life, but I know they are there and why I made them.

If I could go back and give myself a hug or a pep talk I would, but I can't so this one's for you. It will be okay as soon as you let it be okay. Yes, this sounds like another BS platitude or cheesed out junk philosophy tract, but it is the best way I can express what I found to be true.

Talk to somebody like a counselor or psychologist, not because you need to man up or grow up or just get over yourself already, but because you need to find a safe place to put your feelings in perspective and a professional will save you a lot of wasted time and energy getting there. You don't need to be dismissed and you don't need to be coddled. You just need somewhere to reflect and realize for yourself that there is a point even if sometimes it does not feel like there is one.

Take care of yourself.
  • _Ben
    _Ben Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    Pain is temporary
    Chicks dig Scars
    Glory Lasts Forever

Anyway there are ways to get scars and stretch marks removed if you are really self conscious about them, but honestly as a guy I dont really notice them. The point of trying to be healthy is not trying to have 10+ years in a saggy body, but its so you can be in your peak physical condition your entire life. Its so when your 40 years old and you want to go out jet skiing, you dont need to worry about if your physically fit enough to handle it. Its so when your older you can try to avoid those incredibly expensive insulin shots, blood pressure medication, and other maintenance drugs. Its so you can achieve the most out of your life that you possibly can. At the very least, thats why I am doing it. My dad has been taking cholesterol, cardiac, and blood pressure medication since his 30s due to his obesity, and has a brother who had a heart attack at 43. I decided thats not going to be me
  • haileemou
    Options
    pass me the prozak
  • SKP1986
    SKP1986 Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    I am worried about my stretch marks, too, but I know that (some) of my scars will fade. I've already gotten ink over some of the scars that haven't faded and feel much better about those. I guess I'll just do the same for the others.

Chin up and just keep pushing.
  • unsuspectingfish
    unsuspectingfish Posts: 1,176 Member
    Options
    I choose to see my scars as badges of honor, and trust me when I tell you that I've got a boat-load of badges. They show people that I've lived and remind me of the same. I wouldn't even be the same person without some of them, and I would never wish them away because of that.
  • ji225
    ji225 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I can totally understand how they upset you, as I have been through it the same, BUT you have a choice whether to let them yo get you down or not!

I know you're 19 and I do think, actually know, that you will care less about them as you get older, as I have found now at 36, that they are the least of my worries! When I was your age I hated them more than anything - you will care less about the superficial stuff as you get older I can assure you, but as another has already said, you should maybe try and get some counselling as it could save you a few more unhappy years. It seems to be a real big issue for you right now as it comes through in much sadness in your post - but it will get better, and honestly they do fade.

Don't waste too much time worrying - I used to think that I was so ugly because of them, and when I look back in me in my 20's I was gorgeous, and I feel sad that I wasted some of those years being overly self concious and not enjoying my life as much as I could have been - my only real regret in life revolves around my body image, which saddens me!

Good luck with it
  • TenderBranson
    TenderBranson Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    You sound incredibly shallow & far too consumed with appearance. Focus on how great your body feels after an hour long cardio session. Or reaching a long awaited goal.

Learn to overcome what people think of you. It's not hard.
  • babyblake11
    babyblake11 Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    when i was 13.. i was a self harmer. i have around 50 scars on my leg. i know this is a horrible story but ive still learnt to love my body. and i do my absoloute best to nurture it with nutritious foods and exercising. ive also had a daughter so ive also got stretch marks ( almost gone now ).

sure, i am looking into getting the scars removed. but if it turns out i will have them forever i will still love myself for who i am.
    just love who you are, being healthy with scars is better than unhealthy with scars. just as everyone above me have said.