chocolate milk

Options

Replies

• alkion
    Options

you just misinterpreted, % of protien content casein is highest. % high macro nutrient ratio, yes it's carbs. Look up the pH of milk, it's acidic. Yes you're right, you can get decent chocolate milk. Goat milk is more basic, I dont know the pH of cocoa... so I won't comment on that.

I believe in psychology, they call that the "external attribution error." You said "Milk is mostly casein protein." What part of that did I misinterpret? I misinterpreted nothing. You failed to communicate effectively, and then claimed that the error was mine.

As for the pH of milk, I can take some in the lab if you like. I'm right here at a major pharmaceutical company after all. Most publications put it at 6.4 to 6.8 though, and that's closer to "neutral" than acidic.

Neutral pH is 7.0

Let's split the difference and put the pH of milk at 6.6

That means that milk only like 5.7% more acidic than water...

Okay i'll give you that on misinterpretation. Imagine if the blood was 5.7% more acidic? I think we would be dead. Of course that won't happen consuming milk. The point is that, even a small change in acidicty can have a huge impact diet wise.
  • ShapeUpSidney
    ShapeUpSidney Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options

Okay i'll give you that on misinterpretation. Imagine if the blood was 5.7% more acidic? I think we would be dead. Of course that won't happen consuming milk. The point is that, even a small change in acidicty can have a huge impact diet wise.

Yes you are correct about the blood. Luckily, however, we aren't getting our chocolate milk intravenously. There is an ENTIRE SYSTEM in place that successfully digests the chocolate milk and parcels out the nutrients where they are most needed. It is safe and highly efficient. It's called the GI tract.

No, a small difference in pH can not have a significant effect diet wise.

Changes in blood pH are very dangerous because they can cause cell lysis and the denaturing of crucial blood proteins. That is completely unrelated to oral ingestion of food products. Acidic beverages pose no threat to the maintenance of blood pH. If anything, the only risk is canker sores, GI ulcers, and possible perforation - but you'd have to have underlying conditions or other risk factors to experience this. Or drink some VERY acidic substance, like 10N HCl

So while I don't recommend chocolate milk taken in the IV, subcutaneous, or intramuscular route...I think you'll be fine having it in moderate oral doses.
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    Alkion so let me ask you.

What about chocolate milk is unhealthy? Please enlighten us. =)

*sits down with a bag of popcorn*
  • alkion
    Options

Yes you are correct about the blood. Luckily, however, we aren't getting our chocolate milk intravenously. There is an ENTIRE SYSTEM in place that successfully digests the chocolate milk and parcels out the nutrients where they are most needed. It is safe and highly efficient. It's called the GI tract.

No, a small difference in pH can not have a significant effect diet wise.

Changes in blood pH are very dangerous because they can cause cell lysis and the denaturing of crucial blood proteins. That is completely unrelated to oral ingestion of food products. Acidic beverages pose no threat to the maintenance of blood pH. If anything, the only risk is canker sores, GI ulcers, and possible perforation - but you'd have to have underlying conditions or other risk factors to experience this. Or drink some VERY acidic substance, like 10N HCl

So while I don't recommend chocolate milk taken in the IV, subcutaneous, or intramuscular route...I think you'll be fine having it in moderate oral doses.

There is 2 posts on this subject, I am going back and forth. NOt sure if i already said this on this post. A way to test for acidosis is through a urine sample. Consuming alkalizing foods makes your urine more basic. SO of course acidic foods will make your urine more acidic (putting you greater at risk for acidosis). Not sure if it was to you or someone else, an alkalarine diet is 70-80% alkalaizing foods. 20-30% acidic foods. I'll agree with you on the moderation of chocolate milk.
  • ShapeUpSidney
    Options

There is 2 posts on this subject, I am going back and forth. NOt sure if i already said this on this post. A way to test for acidosis is through a urine sample. Consuming alkalizing foods makes your urine more basic. SO of course acidic foods will make your urine more acidic (putting you greater at risk for acidosis). Not sure if it was to you or someone else, an alkalarine diet is 70-80% alkalaizing foods. 20-30% acidic foods. I'll agree with you on the moderation of chocolate milk.

Symptomatic alkalosis and acidosis are incredibly rare metabolic issues for otherwise healthy people. And you don't get them by drinking chocolate milk.

I really hate this kind of arcane medical fad / fearmongering nonsense...
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    I have a friend who is like 250 at 5% bodyfat year round. He would literally laugh at this chocolate milk comment.

Haha...considering the all-time best Jay Cutler had at COMPETITI"ON weight and bf% was 260 at 4-5%, your "friend" must be running for the Mr. Olympian...right?

Lmao.
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    Cow milk has a pH range from 6.4-6.8, not very acidic in comparison to many fruits and vegetables that can have pH as low as 4.5.
    While studies do say that acidosis is a detrimental state to be in, nowhere have I found nor has alkion presented an article that proves that consuming acidic foods is the CAUSE of ACIDOSIS. Instead most peered reviewed articles I've read state that acidosis is the result of one or a combination of several factors. Such as renal or hepatic failure, malabsorption of certain minerals, and so on.
    Learn a thing or two about how the body buffers both acidic and alkali foods. A state of acidosis or alkalosis is a symptom of another issue, usually a process that is not performing like it should.
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    Alkion, did you get suckered into buying a alkalized water machine?
  • ShapeUpSidney
    Options
    Alkion, did you get suckered into buying a alkalized water machine?

Bahahahahaha
  • alkion
    Options

Symptomatic alkalosis and acidosis are incredibly rare metabolic issues for otherwise healthy people. And you don't get them by drinking chocolate milk.

You're right you don't get it by drinking chocolate milk. You get it by drinking chocolate milk, that nice piece of chicken, or fish, maybe some fruit, or some whole grains, etc... there are TONS of foods that are acidic. It's all of them put together that create an acidic state.

[qoute]
    While studies do say that acidosis is a detrimental state to be in, nowhere have I found nor has alkion presented an article that proves that consuming acidic foods is the CAUSE of ACIDOSIS. Instead most peered reviewed articles I've read state that acidosis is the result of one or a combination of several factors. Such as renal or hepatic failure, malabsorption of certain minerals, and so on.
    [/qoute]

HOw is acidosis tested, by blood or urine samples. Acidic food produce acidic urine. I know you probably saw this picture on the other topic, so not posting it for you, posting it for everone else.

I got someone to test their saliva and urine, left side is mine, right side is theirs. top row is saliva bottom row is urine. I follow an alkalarine diet, they don't... tell me which one is more acidic, blue is alkaline, yellow is acidic, and tell me who is closer to a state of acidosis?? oh and guess what? This person eats a TON OF FRUIT, constantly eating fruits and nuts, you know the stuff we're told is "HEALTHY".

f0b1q0.jpg
  • ChitownFoodie
    ChitownFoodie Posts: 1,562 Member
    Options
    Bump.....all the info is confusing me....LOL
  • PBJunkie
    Options

You're right you don't get it by drinking chocolate milk. You get it by drinking chocolate milk, that nice piece of chicken, or fish, maybe some fruit, or some whole grains, etc... there are TONS of foods that are acidic. It's all of them put together that create an acidic state.

[qoute]
    [/qoute]

HOw is acidosis tested, by blood or urine samples. Acidic food produce acidic urine. I know you probably saw this picture on the other topic, so not posting it for you, posting it for everone else.

I got someone to test their saliva and urine, left side is mine, right side is theirs. top row is saliva bottom row is urine. I follow an alkalarine diet, they don't... tell me which one is more acidic, blue is alkaline, yellow is acidic, and tell me who is closer to a state of acidosis?? oh and guess what? This person eats a TON OF FRUIT, constantly eating fruits and nuts, you know the stuff we're told is "HEALTHY".

f0b1q0.jpg

facedesk.jpg

You still trying to defend this nonsense?
  • alkion
    Options
    You still trying to defend this nonsense?

What non sense? you any good at math?? It's not hard. acidosis is tested by urine or blood. Eating acidic foods produce acidic urine. If your urine test high in acidicity, you're in an acidic state. It's not hard, simple logic, the evidence is right there in front of you. If you don't want to see it, nothing i can do, but it's right there...
  • ShapeUpSidney
    Options

f0b1q0.jpg

you should invest in a pH meter. Since I know someone who works for Fischer, and would love to sell you a pharmaceutical grade pH meter, I am starting to think you're on to something. You should totally ping me, and I'll set you up. Better yet, you can buy lots of them for resale, since your theory is bound to experience dramatic growth in popularity with such an intellectual champion as yourself to depend on.
  • ShapeUpSidney
    Options

What non sense? you any good at math?? It's not hard. acidosis is tested by urine or blood. Eating acidic foods produce acidic urine. If your urine test high in acidicity, you're in an acidic state. It's not hard, simple logic, the evidence is right there in front of you. If you don't want to see it, nothing i can do, but it's right there...

Not really. Urine is what we get rid of to keep our other fluids and tissues healthy. We filter out all kinds of toxins in the kidneys, and pass that stuff through urine so our other tissues aren't harmed. Unless you have an advanced degree in nephrology and a validated pH meter...I'm disinclined to give your claims any credence.
  • alkion
    Options

f0b1q0.jpg

you should invest in a pH meter. Since I know someone who works for Fischer, and would love to sell you a pharmaceutical grade pH meter, I am starting to think you're on to something. You should totally ping me, and I'll set you up. Better yet, you can buy lots of them for resale, since your theory is bound to experience dramatic growth in popularity with such an intellectual champion as yourself to depend on.

You said you're a pharmacist or something?? I know you know chemistry. So you're in some form of science, as a scientist you should know to take data as it is not to be bias against some data. The evidence is right there. Acidic food produces acidic urine, acidic urine is linked to acidosis. Nothing more to it.
  • alkion
    Options

Not really. Urine is what we get rid of to keep our other fluids and tissues healthy. We filter out all kinds of toxins in the kidneys, and pass that stuff through urine so our other tissues aren't harmed. Unless you have an advanced degree in nephrology and a validated pH meter...I'm disinclined to give your claims any credence.

yeah we filter out all these toxins in the kidneys. The kidney's can only do so much. Yes urine is supposed to be "slightly" acidic. If what you said was true, they wouldn't use urine samples to test for acidosis. In science such as chemistry(my major) a big issue is precision. Yeah a digital pH meter would be more precise then pH strips. That's like saying "let me wash my car with a toothbrush." It would do a better job, but a clean car is a clean car. The urine samples, the difference is BIG. If it was very minute then yeah i'd understand the debate of the pH meter. They are not minute, there is a major difference.
  • ShapeUpSidney
    Options

You said you're a pharmacist or something?? I know you know chemistry. So you're in some form of science, as a scientist you should know to take data as it is not to be bias against some data. The evidence is right there. Acidic food produces acidic urine, acidic urine is linked to acidosis. Nothing more to it.

Ok, but HOW acidic. I notice that litmus paper is yellow...not red

At what pH does a patient experience symptoms? Hmm...
  • ShapeUpSidney
    Options
    yeah we filter out all these toxins in the kidneys. The kidney's can only do so much. Yes urine is supposed to be "slightly" acidic. If what you said was true, they wouldn't use urine samples to test for acidosis.

Everything I've read indicates that arterial blood gas sampling is the preferred diagnostic method for metabolic acidosis. I also read that the only causes of metabolic acidosis that are attributed to dietary consumption are diabetic ketoacidosis and ethanol poisoning.
  • alkion
    Options

Ok, but HOW acidic. I notice that litmus paper is yellow...not red

At what pH does a patient experience symptoms? Hmm...

yeah, it's from yellow to blue on this measuring device. I don't know what pH # a person has symptoms. As you know it would change throughout the day. The issue is choronic acidicity. Too much of anything, good or bad, isn't healthy for anyone.