TOILET SEAT - up or down?

Options
TluvK
TluvK Posts: 733 Member
Growing up, my dad and brother always put the seat back down when they were finished. My husband refuses, which grosses me out. Wondering what it's like in your household...

Replies

• NiciS72
    NiciS72 Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    DOWN!!!!! I grew up with the sound of my mother shrieking cuz my dad left it up and she didn't turn the lights on in the middle of the night. Cold porcelein is very shocking!

BTW, I bought these wonderful toilet seats at Home Depot that are non slammable lids. Just give them a nudge and they slowly close-both parts!
  • Kaycurrier
    Options
    down, and I am really outnumbered but they all put it down. I hate going pee at 2 am only to dunk but behind in cold water, ahhhh, I go wake every one of them up just to complain about my wet toilet butt!
  • juliecat1
    juliecat1 Posts: 3,455 Member
    Options
    Ive never understood this argument. Any man Ive ever lived with was nasty and would get pee everywhere. I learned a long time ago to look before I sit.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Seriously, I have more important things to get het up about! I really don't care one way or t'other.
  • CarlaRG
    CarlaRG Posts: 264
    Options
    Thankfully it's down here. Our problem is my husband puts the lid down too....when you are drinking 12+ glasses of water a day those extra seconds count! All I want is seat down, lid up please!
  • lakersfan4life
    lakersfan4life Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    i suppose that would depend on what i just used the toilet for...................................
  • TDGee
    TDGee Posts: 2,209 Member
    Options
    I have always wondered why there were so many people complaining about the ubiquitous "Splashdown". Didn't anyone learn to look before you sit?
    The seats are always down at my house out of respect for the women folk who can't seem to understand this principle. That and the severe beating I took at 3:08 AM on January 14, 1996.
  • TluvK
    Options
    DOWN!!!!! I grew up with the sound of my mother shrieking cuz my dad left it up and she didn't turn the lights on in the middle of the night. Cold porcelein is very shocking!

BTW, I bought these wonderful toilet seats at Home Depot that are non slammable lids. Just give them a nudge and they slowly close-both parts!

I'm definitely looking into those - I love that idea! And yes, I have fell in more than once.
  • TluvK
    Options
    I have always wondered why there were so many people complaining about the ubiquitous "Splashdown". Didn't anyone learn to look before you sit?
    The seats are always down at my house out of respect for the women folk who can't seem to understand this principle. That and the severe beating I took at 3:08 AM on January 14, 1996.

:laugh: :laugh:
  • OKmac3
    OKmac3 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I am outnumbered in my house being the only male....I leave the seat down...It is the right and proper thing to do....That is how I was raised
  • cabaray
    cabaray Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    We have two bathrooms. He almost always uses the spare and I use the master. He gets to leave the seat up and I don't have to worry.
  • kennie2
    kennie2 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    Thankfully it's down here. Our problem is my husband puts the lid down too....when you are drinking 12+ glasses of water a day those extra seconds count! All I want is seat down, lid up please!

nothing worse that sitting down and the lid being shut lmao
  • microwoman999
    microwoman999 Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    When I grew up I only had one Brother living in the house and he just never lifted the seat....instead he would miss and hit the seat I had to sit on! Now when I first started dating my husband seat was put down all the time including the top too. Since we have been married he leaves it up! I fell in once in the middle of the night because he left it up! He still refuses to admit to this day that he ever put the seat down! LOL
  • Silverkittycat
    Silverkittycat Posts: 1,997 Member
    Options
    Lid down - my bathrooms are way too small......don't want to flush and have germ nastiness flying all over the place.
  • Faery7
    Faery7 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    You know.. I don't really care if it's up or down. I always check first. I figure what makes it right for us to say that down is right. What we're saying is that we don't want to have to put it down... but they have to lift it up, so really it's the same effort either way. I just don't see one side being right and one being wrong.
  • mermx
    mermx Posts: 976
    Options
    DOWN....eeew there is nothing more yucky than sitting on the toilet rim full of man pee.

Especially if you go during the night with the light off and you lower yourself down expecting the toilet seat, just the 1/2inch makes a difference that you are not expecting to fall... yuk,
  • whiskey9890
    whiskey9890 Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    we keep the lid down in our house, that way we both have the same amount of work to do before and after use only time the lid stays up is during the night as its very heavy and does make a loud bang if it slips out of the hand (but the seat is down during the night too, purely cos i'm the one thatalways has to get up during the night)
  • TluvK
    Options
    You know.. I don't really care if it's up or down. I always check first. I figure what makes it right for us to say that down is right. What we're saying is that we don't want to have to put it down... but they have to lift it up, so really it's the same effort either way. I just don't see one side being right and one being wrong.

My point with this is, I'm much more of a germ-phobe than my husband. I'm lucky if he washes his hands after he goes to the bathroom. I just REALLY don't like touching the seat.
  • pa_jorg
    pa_jorg Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Seat & lid down!!! When you flush, germs can go go airborne up to 12 feet...gross!! I read that in a magazine a long time ago...
  • mermx
    mermx Posts: 976
    Options
    I am outnumbered in my house being the only male....I leave the seat down...It is the right and proper thing to do....That is how I was raised

Good for you :-))))) House trained and raised well :-)