Tuna & Mayo.

So I really want to love tuna again. Lol I used to eat it before with mayo and sliced / cut up tomatoes.. However since I cut out mayo to be on the healthier side, I dislike tuna with a passion!! Is there any possible substitutes for mayo? I heard "hellmans light mayo", "hellmans light mayo with olive oil" and miracle whip light is pretty good.. Any reviews on this?? I miss tuna sandwiches!! And I definitely don't want to get hooked on it if it's not healthy for me since I am trying my hardest to not gain any weight back. Thanks for any responses, MFP! :)

Replies

• ajvallance
    ajvallance Posts: 22 Member
    I love hellmans light mayo. You could also try using yogurt instead or a light vinaigrette. I think tuna needs to be moist to be edible.
  • devenwarvel
    devenwarvel Posts: 26 Member
    I eat it almost every day with hellmans light....I love it!! I taste no difference from the regular mayo I used to use.
  • Shadowcasting
    Shadowcasting Posts: 124 Member
    Starkist now has "tuna salad" in 100 calorie packs. I use them to a tuna wrap with low carb tortillas. I think they use a light mayo, and they're pretty darn tasty.
  • awdamm
    awdamm Posts: 375 Member
    i cut out mayo completely and I use Brown mustard, sweet relish and a little hot sauce on my tuna and I could eat it ALLLLL day! I dont obviously but its dang good. On occassion I'll just put hot sauce only and eat it right out of the little pouch.
  • L2M1D52
    L2M1D52 Posts: 616 Member
    I use hummus with my tuna at times.
  • wickedcricket
    wickedcricket Posts: 1,246 Member
    a plain lowfat yogurt flavored with dill makes an excellent 'mayonnaise' for tuna or salmon - maybe a little splash of lemon. or try yogurt & horseradish (if you like it) it's REALLY good
  • i cut out mayo completely and I use Brown mustard, sweet relish and a little hot sauce on my tuna and I could eat it ALLLLL day! I dont obviously but its dang good. On occassion I'll just put hot sauce only and eat it right out of the little pouch.

This sounds amazing! Do you prefer any specific brand as far as the brown mustard?
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    I used to eat tuna with mayo. Then I swapped to just eating tuna. It was quite tasty! but after a few days of it I got tired of the almost bland taste. It was suggested to me to add mustard. I don't enjoy regular yellow mustard, so I tried adding spicy brown mustard.

A can of tuna mixed with a little spicy brown mustard on a low carb tortilla is one of my staple snacks now. :) very tasty!
  • Kinda79
    Kinda79 Posts: 239 Member
    I LOVE reduced fat mayo with olive oil! It's super delish and my husband liked it so much he told me not to buy anything else anymore! lol It has great flavor and is way better for you. :)
  • Emmadennewitz
    Emmadennewitz Posts: 106 Member
    I use plain Greek yogurt instead of mayo in everything....tuna, egg salad, potato salad and dressings . I also substitute yogurt for sour cream. Lower in calories and 0% fat also high in protein
  • NiciS72
    NiciS72 Posts: 1,043 Member
    1 tablespoon of Miracle Whip light is only 20 calories. I like it over mayo and then I add it, an egg, 1 teaspoon of relish (15 calories) and the tuna and mix for a nice low cal salad.
  • I just use salt, a lot of pepper, and lime. If I'm feeling adventurous, I'll add jalapeno, green onions, and a bit of avocado. I love the idea of putting hummus with it. I think it might even taste good with pesto.

A friend of mine would scramble an egg with tuna and make it that way... so delicious and filling.
  • awdamm
    i cut out mayo completely and I use Brown mustard, sweet relish and a little hot sauce on my tuna and I could eat it ALLLLL day! I dont obviously but its dang good. On occassion I'll just put hot sauce only and eat it right out of the little pouch.

This sounds amazing! Do you prefer any specific brand as far as the brown mustard?

Frenchs or just store brand. Could also get Spicy Brown mustard and not use the hot sauce. I find that If i eat food with a bit of spice it tricks my mind in to thinking its full. The more flavorful the food the more "filling" my mind thinks it is.

The key is to make sure your eating healthy food that tastes good so you don't feel "empty" after eating things that are so bland!

Hope this helps!
  • awdamm
    I used to eat tuna with mayo. Then I swapped to just eating tuna. It was quite tasty! but after a few days of it I got tired of the almost bland taste. It was suggested to me to add mustard. I don't enjoy regular yellow mustard, so I tried adding spicy brown mustard.

A can of tuna mixed with a little spicy brown mustard on a low carb tortilla is one of my staple snacks now. :) very tasty!

DITTTTO!
  • MaryEffingPoppins
    MaryEffingPoppins Posts: 371 Member
    Lunch today:
    2 slices of Sara Lee 45 calorie bread (BETTER THAN SANDWICH THINS!) 90 cal
    1/2 pouch of Albacore tuna 40 cal
    1 Tbsp reduced fat olive oil mayo (YUM) 45 cal
    2 red onion rings 5 cal
    4 heart of romaine leaves 5 cal
    1 THICK slice of tomato 5 cal

SO DELICIOUS!!
  • Shannonk507
    Shannonk507 Posts: 252 Member
    Great question! Learning ideas, too, as I am in the same boat. I think tomorrow I will try tuna, plain yogurt, and wasabi horseradish. Thanks for the input MFPers! Best of luck on your journeys. :)
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    I use Miracle Whip light and just enough to make the tuna ... well, not so tuna-ish.
  • NiciS72
    NiciS72 Posts: 1,043 Member
    Check out this thread for one of my favorite salad recipes that has tuna in it. DELICIOUS!!!!!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/336526-salads?hl=Mediterranean+Tuna+Salad#posts-4521948
  • awdamm
    The salmon packets are really tasty too. And I do the same thing with them a little brown mustard, hot sauce and lots of pepper! I found them at our local dollar store and stocked up! They are little 2.00+ at the regular grocery store. Totally siked for that find!
  • Sonchie
    Sonchie Posts: 259 Member
    i use kraft mayo with olive oil. It takes very little of it..Moderation is the best way for me.