Fireside chat from your uncle Tob, pull up a chair

Options
Banks01
Banks01 Posts: 985 Member
I'm 45 and those of you post 40 will pick up I'm putting down.(I threw that in for the kids). This will be no revelation but I wish someone would've reminded me then.

If you are < 40 and ESPECIALLY < 30, listen up.

It gets harder, MUCH harder to drop those LBs so this cautionary tale is for YOU!

Take advantage of this opportunity you have while your body is younger and more efficient. Just imagine if I only worked out 30 min/day back then, what would I look like now? And I won't even touch nutrition.

That is all, go forth and be healthier at a much younger age than ME!

Ps I have had that "party rock" song by LMFAO stuck in my head since 8am.

Replies

• DreamLittleDarling
    Options
    *takes note*

I'm having a hard enough time at 28... you mean this shiz is never gonna get easier?!

how about the motivation? does that ever get better?!
  • samiam7
    Options
    I like this :)
    I'm just twenty and I try to remind myself that it's awesome and won't last forever so I need to take advantage now while I'm still young!!
  • DreamLittleDarling
    Options
    p.s. now that song is stuck in my head, too
  • rockylucas
    rockylucas Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I just hit 30 and it was a HUGE wakeup call for me to start taking my diet and exercise, my entire health and wellness, more seriously
  • sister_bear
    sister_bear Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Thanks, Uncle Tob.
  • alise_lmx
    alise_lmx Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    me and Cecy were just talking about this yesterday! thanks for the reminder and also thanks for getting party rock stuck in my head too, lol
  • starracer23
    starracer23 Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    My husband and I were having a discussion last night about being more healthy (we have made a DRASTIC change, but there is more that can be done) and he said "Let's continue down this path and then once we are older if we need to change things up again we will." My rebuttal was pretty much your post. It will only get harder, we will only be getting older and maybe sicker. The time to act is now!! :D
  • BondBomb
    BondBomb Posts: 1,781 Member
    Options
    Yep - at 38 I have to really work at losing weight. I have to say I was never really overweight before maybe 5 lbs here and there to lose. My weight gain was caused by the true 'HCG' diet. - AKA having a baby. I do know that if I am lucky enough to meet someone and have another I will take much greater care with how much weight I gain during pregnancy.
  • shar140
    shar140 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    Thanks, Uncle Tob! :drinker:

and PS, now that song is stuck in my head as well...along with the dancing hamsters in the Kia commercial!! :blushing:
  • charityateet
    charityateet Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    I wish I would have tried harder when I was in my teens.....just a little more physical activities.....although, I had the normal teenager metabolism, so I ate whatever I wanted - then got married and settled into a comfy life.......would have been much easier to just workout regularly and eat right from the begining.

Why don't they teach you this stuff growing up??
  • PeachyKeene
    PeachyKeene Posts: 1,645 Member
    Options
    So true. I am 36, me and my teenage daughter started this journey sorta together. She drops pounds with very little working out and she eats what she wants for the majority. Me, I workout 6 days a week, normally 2-3 hours a day, watch what I eat, just to see the same results. uuuuuggh!
  • ShazMc73
    ShazMc73 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Sigh!!! Thanks for the reminder "Uncle Tob" ;-) I used to workout in my 20's and early 30's pretty ,uch the way I do now and I was in amazing shape. Getting back to that at 38 is proving to be a long road; at least at this age I have become more patient or else I would be screwed!
  • Banks01
    Options
    *takes note*

I'm having a hard enough time at 28... you mean this shiz is never gonna get easier?!

how about the motivation? does that ever get better?!

I get a lot of inspiration and motivation from people here and some private ones I don't want to share publicly :)

After "party rock" was Akon's "beautiful"
  • Banks01
    Options
    Sigh!!! Thanks for the reminder "Uncle Tob" ;-) I used to workout in my 20's and early 30's pretty ,uch the way I do now and I was in amazing shape. Getting back to that at 38 is proving to be a long road; at least at this age I have become more patient or else I would be screwed!

Don't know why, but there was a big difference between 40 and now. Maybe the divorce stress had a a lot to do with it. I looked at pics when I was 40 the other day and theres a huge difference.

I think I'll go moisturize now :):)
  • Banks01
    Options
    me and Cecy were just talking about this yesterday! thanks for the reminder and also thanks for getting party rock stuck in my head too, lol

Yesterday it was "I wanna make you sweat" by snoop Dogg which surprisigly, ISN'T about working out :):):)
  • angelar1022
    Options
    Thanks for the tidbit "Uncle Tob!" I'm almost 26 and this has reminded me that I'm doing the right thing, and that I need to keep up with it! It was so easy to stay slim BEFORE 2 kids, but now... WOW! It is tough! I'm always too tired! ha ha ha... But this is a great thing to keep in mind!
  • CJK1959
    CJK1959 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    You said it Uncle Tob.....as a 50 something post menopausal woman, just let me add that as you age ladies, your body becomes unpredicatable.....and it is especially difficult to lose weight, tone etc. Do it now!

Weight loss is difficult at any age, but the longer the fat stays on, the more reluctant it is to move.

Good Luck!
  • k2thaj
    Options
    I am 26, soon to be 27 and I used to be very active and mostly fit in high school and I stopped playing sports in college. After that I pretty much just stopped caring, just worked to pay the bills at a desk job. Now I am in a long term relationship with someone I will probably be with for the rest of my life and we both decided that this was it, we needed to make a life change so that we can have a longer life to enjoy with each other outside of the house.

Thank you for only confirming what I figured would happen as I got older :)
  • ShazMc73
    ShazMc73 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    OK, so I gotta get my shhhhhhhh together before 40 then! A year and 3/4 to go - ok, that's possible :-)
  • Banks01
    Options
    OK, so I gotta get my shhhhhhhh together before 40 then! A year and 3/4 to go - ok, that's possible :-)

Damn Straight it is!

I'm working hard, but I'll get it down by Halloween