Fireside chat from your uncle Tob, pull up a chair

Options
2»

Replies

• kevinlynch3
    kevinlynch3 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Good post Toby....genetics and luck play a huge factor in whether you even have the ability to workout hard post 40 years of age. So not only is a person setting themselves up for very difficult weight loss, potentially they're setting themselves up for impossible weight loss if serious injuries or stuff like arthritis etc occurs.

In my mid 20's through 29-30 before getting married...I worked out twice a day..5 days a week. Marriage, work, college, divorce..(lots of excuses) side tracked me. I wish I had kept up half of what I was doing in my 20's through my 30's.
  • ncgatorfan
    Options
    Great post, Toby. Alise and I were discussing this yesterday, like she just said, and I told her at least she has youth on her side! Plus, she has her head on straight!!

With that said, the yo-yoing takes a huge toll on your body when you're older too. You gain weight in different places, when you were thinking "I always gain weight in my belly first". That changes and that's not entirely good! Plus it takes three times longer to lose those few pounds versus how quickly it came off before I was 30.

Bottom line: you're right, it gets worse when you get older and the motivation seems to decline too. That's why MFP and good friends will push you over the edge to grab control of your health and finally kick it in to gear. God knows, I've tried to do it all by myself and failed miserably!
  • iAMaPhoenix
    iAMaPhoenix Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    Thanks Uncle Toby...but where the hell were you 20 years ago when I needed this advise. In the Fn Merchant Marine or something...lol.
  • Jennjenn1974
    Jennjenn1974 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Do we need another earworm war? :p
  • Banks01
    Banks01 Posts: 985 Member
    Options
    Do we need another earworm war? :p

I demolished you last time, you don't want none.

Wasn't Rebbeca Blacks "Friday Friday" the one that finally pounded you into submission? I still want that list, hysterical songs on it.
  • Banks01
    Options
    Thanks Uncle Toby...but where the hell were you 20 years ago when I needed this advise. In the Fn Merchant Marine or something...lol.

I was partying not giving a crap about 45 year old Toby!
  • Egger29
    Egger29 Posts: 14,741 Member
    Options
    I'm 45 and those of you post 40 will pick up I'm putting down.(I threw that in for the kids). This will be no revelation but I wish someone would've reminded me then.

It gets harder, MUCH harder to drop those LBs so this cautionary tale is for YOU!

Take advantage of this opportunity you have while your body is younger and more efficient. Just imagine if I only worked out 30 min/day back then, what would I look like now? And I won't even touch nutrition.

That is all, go forth and be healthier at a much younger age than ME!

Thanks for the post. Yes, unfortunately this is true for a vast majority as people get older, but it's not simply because we get older, but from lifestyle changes that make us less active.

How many older adults walk to the office carrying giant bags of books like a high school student? How many spend entire afternoons on sunny days playing touch football, soccer, or doing random activities at the park? How many walk to the park carrying all the gear to do those things?

We trade our active lifestyle for the convenience and speed of a car. We sit in front of computers 8-10 hours a day instead of being out "playing" with our friends the same. These changes are a part of life.

That being said, it IS possible to "turn back the clock", simply from changing how we eat and how we exercise, maintaining the lean mass and ingesting foods that keep the metabolism and energy levels high, allowing us to keep, (or get back) that same physique from years past.

We don't go to bed a fit 20-year old and wake up middle aged with a little extra around the middle. It's a gradual progression based on lifestyle choices that add up over time.

Starting with today however, anyone can make alternate choices for a new future that includes a healthier, fitter, leaner life. The choices that are made today dictate what lies ahead in the future.

Cheers!

Uncle Craig. ;-)
  • jenny95662
    jenny95662 Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    *takes note*

I'm having a hard enough time at 28... you mean this shiz is never gonna get easier?!

how about the motivation? does that ever get better?!

right!!!! i am 29 and its been so hard not like when i was 21 and i had no worries lol
  • mimaduck83
    mimaduck83 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Thanks for that Uncle Tob! I'll make a note of that when I'm still battling with the last stubborn kilo and a bit when I hit 30!!
  • Banks01
    Options
    I'm 45 and those of you post 40 will pick up I'm putting down.(I threw that in for the kids). This will be no revelation but I wish someone would've reminded me then.

It gets harder, MUCH harder to drop those LBs so this cautionary tale is for YOU!

Take advantage of this opportunity you have while your body is younger and more efficient. Just imagine if I only worked out 30 min/day back then, what would I look like now? And I won't even touch nutrition.

Thanks for the post. Yes, unfortunately this is true for a vast majority as people get older, but it's not simply because we get older, but from lifestyle changes that make us less active.

How many older adults walk to the office carrying giant bags of books like a high school student? How many spend entire afternoons on sunny days playing touch football, soccer, or doing random activities at the park? How many walk to the park carrying all the gear to do those things?

We trade our active lifestyle for the convenience and speed of a car. We sit in front of computers 8-10 hours a day instead of being out "playing" with our friends the same. These changes are a part of life.

That being said, it IS possible to "turn back the clock", simply from changing how we eat and how we exercise, maintaining the lean mass and ingesting foods that keep the metabolism and energy levels high, allowing us to keep, (or get back) that same physique from years past.

We don't go to bed a fit 20-year old and wake up middle aged with a little extra around the middle. It's a gradual progression based on lifestyle choices that add up over time.

Starting with today however, anyone can make alternate choices for a new future that includes a healthier, fitter, leaner life. The choices that are made today dictate what lies ahead in the future.

Cheers!

Uncle Craig. ;-)

Sometimes when I'm doing a long workout and really going at it, I tell myself "well, you certainly enjoyed those hundreds of beer, so stop ya *****ing" and then I walk a little faster, bike a little more, pump a little harder.
  • Autumn15
    Options

Cheers!

Uncle Craig. ;-)

Thanks Uncle Toby and Uncle Craig....40 already caught me but I refuse to let it take me down...I'm fighting it and that crap called gravity that keeps attempting to move the junk in my trunk down the back of my thighs. :grumble:
  • Banks01
    Options

Cheers!

Uncle Craig. ;-)

Thanks Uncle Craig! (man I hope that moniker doesn't stick)
  • mightymom2
    mightymom2 Posts: 312 Member
    Options

Cheers!

Uncle Craig. ;-)

Thanks Uncle Toby & Uncle Craig, I too have been caught into the 40's already, but i'm not gonna let it hold me back

*quick name a different song* I now has party rock stuck in my head seeing as how son just laid the cd on the table near me :explode:
  • Banks01
    Options

Cheers!

Uncle Craig. ;-)

Thanks Uncle Toby & Uncle Craig, I too have been caught into the 40's already, but i'm not gonna let it hold me back

*quick name a different song* I now has party rock stuck in my head seeing as how son just laid the cd on the table near me :explode:

Rebecca blacks "Friday Friday" ??